CM Shock Force2 v2.03 patch has been released.

21 hours ago, lanceh55 said:

Thanks for the upgrade.  The Scenarios in the Editor are now listed alphabetical.  Makes it so much easier for me.  Combat Mission, the best computer game made.

Amen to that!!  So much easier to find something.

Well, apparently I'm having a problem installing the patch. I've installed the recently released patches for all the other Combat Mission games except CMFB. Haven't done that yet. No problem on any of them, but for CMSF2....I can't get it to work. Every time I run the game is says version 2.01. I've installed to the default location, apparently there's two locations that contain the game...one of them is in my /documents folder. Anyway I've installed to both locations trying to get the patch to work but have had no success.

9 hours ago, Zveroboy1 said:

Check out the third post on page 1, maybe that's your issue. The installer's default path for the patch is an unwanted nested folder inside the game's main directory.

Unfortunately that isn't it. The patch doesn't create a new directory like it the post said. I didn't get the patch until a few days ago so I think they must have fixed that problem. I can't figure out the problem. The modified date for the exe file after installation of the patch is July 6, 2020, but when I run the game it still says it's version 2.01. I've tried installing the patch to another temporary directory and then copying it over, and I've copied the individual files over also. I did run the patch from the temporary directory.

3 hours ago, Mesquite55 said:

Unfortunately that isn't it. The patch doesn't create a new directory like it the post said. I didn't get the patch until a few days ago so I think they must have fixed that problem. I can't figure out the problem. The modified date for the exe file after installation of the patch is July 6, 2020, but when I run the game it still says it's version 2.01. I've tried installing the patch to another temporary directory and then copying it over, and I've copied the individual files over also. I did run the patch from the temporary directory.

Definitely dont need to install to your users/docs folder, that just holds your saves/settings and not the actual game. Default location on Windows is usually C:\Program Filesx86\Battlefront\CMSF2...  Since you've tried installing to multiple locations, double check your shortcut to make sure its sending you to the right/new CMSF2.exe. But I think your best option is to do a total reinstall.

5 hours ago, MeatEtr said:

Definitely dont need to install to your users/docs folder, that just holds your saves/settings and not the actual game. Default location on Windows is usually C:\Program Filesx86\Battlefront\CMSF2...  Since you've tried installing to multiple locations, double check your shortcut to make sure its sending you to the right/new CMSF2.exe. But I think your best option is to do a total reinstall.

Ok, I'm partway thru the Marine campaign. Can I save it to continue in a reinstall? If not, is this update worth losing the campaign progress?

4 hours ago, Mesquite55 said:

Ok, I'm partway thru the Marine campaign. Can I save it to continue in a reinstall?

Yes, that should work. Uninstalling the product should leave our game saves under my documents alone. If  you want to be extra careful you can go to your saved game folder (<your drive usually C:>\<your name>\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Shock Force 2\Game Files\Saved Games) and copy the campaign's save somewhere else on your HD. After the uninstall and reinstall you should find that the contents of that folder remain unchanged.

Couple questions... or at least one.   Will most CMSF mods.... UI and vehicle work with CMSF2?    Secondly I noticed that precision ARTY rounds... have yet to actually hit anything.  They come close but I tested.. and over 28 rounds fired... not a single hit using a +2 FO.  So I was curious if this was an issue or maybe we are talking waste of US tax payer dollars.. LOL   Anyways have an awesome day.

12 hours ago, GhostRider3/3 said:

Will most CMSF mods.... UI and vehicle work with CMSF2?   

Probably not but possibly. :) Lots of models in the game were tweaked including the soldiers. So, the majority of those mods will not. There were changes in the UI too. I think the only thing you can do is try the ones you like and see if they work.

12 hours ago, GhostRider3/3 said:

Secondly I noticed that precision ARTY rounds... have yet to actually hit anything.  They come close but I tested.. and over 28 rounds fired... not a single hit using a +2 FO.  So I was curious if this was an issue or maybe we are talking waste of US tax payer dollars.. LOL   Anyways have an awesome day.

First question what are you trying to hit? I have not had occasion to use them much in CMSF but in CMBS they work quite well. To deal with a MBT I usually call for three rounds for an IFV two is usually enough. It is not unusual for one or two to miss the actual vehicle. For IVFs close is normally enough while for a MBT you need one to hit if you want it more than just immobilized.

re: precision rounds, they do work, I use them frequently, but it's not a magic bullet like a Javelin. It also matters who is calling in the strike, a FO in a FIST vehicle targeting using a Drone has a much higher chance of getting it directly on the target than a regular HQ unit.

10 hours ago, IanL said:

Probably not but possibly. :) Lots of models in the game were tweaked including the soldiers. So, the majority of those mods will not. There were changes in the UI too. I think the only thing you can do is try the ones you like and see if they work.

First question what are you trying to hit? I have not had occasion to use them much in CMSF but in CMBS they work quite well. To deal with a MBT I usually call for three rounds for an IFV two is usually enough. It is not unusual for one or two to miss the actual vehicle. For IVFs close is normally enough while for a MBT you need one to hit if you want it more than just immobilized.

Indeed Black Sea is much more precise, in fact Im good with it as I think in Shock Force2 that possibly the equipment is not as up to date.. is what I would like to think.  But I had been using a FO +2  in a command Vehicle Stryker variant.  Also on station was a Drone giving the intel.   But that being said, I am ok with the results they are close just out of almost 30 rounds or 15 attempts (2 rounds precisions per shot).  none hit the target.  BS is much different.  But I feel the Allied forces are already pretty overpowering to the Syrians for the most part.. unless they are ambushed or just plainly have overwhelming forces.

Here is an example of the Excalibur round in action. My XO called it in, it fell next to the T-54. Yes, technically a miss, but according to public sources, the CEP of the round is 5 meters and when first used in combat in 2007 in Iraq, 92% fell within 4 meters (wiki), so in game accuracy is well within the RL data. The big advantage of the Excalibur is not being a tank killer, but being able to call in artillery quite close to your own troops, something you could not do with regular artillery.

2020.08.11-06.04.png

This honestly just showcases how weak artillery rounds/HE are to vehicles when exploding nearby, and that a shot like that would likely cause severe damage to the tank while in game vehicles are usually just fine unless its essentially a direct hit. I think HerrTom had some great simulations done for CMBS showcasing the real effect of near misses on armored vehicles, which showed many penetrations from shrapnel.

Edited by Gkenny

2 hours ago, IanL said:

So, sounds like the differences between the two modern games are based on the RL technical differences. That's a Good Thing(tm).

As far as I can tell yes. In 2008, the Excalibur used was the 1st gen. la-1 model with a 5 meter CEP. By 2017, the U.S. Army would be using the lb model with a 2 meter CEP.

Edited by Sgt Joch