CMx2 on modern computers

Hi,

Long time since I played this excellent game series. I was going to buy the CM:SF2 upgrade as I have CM:SF1 with all moduled but took CMRT for a spin first after downloading the 2.02 patch.

At first I realized that the text was almost impossible to read. Found advice here to turn off DPI scaling and that helped to clear up the fonts. But still - the UI does not scale so at my 1440p monitor I need a magnifying glass to read the text. 

How do you other guys do to play the game these days on modern rigs?

And is there any new engine cooking? The CM gameplay is awesome but I understand that doing your own 3D engine is to much work these days - a port to the Unreal Engine or Unity would be logical way to go I guess...

Hi,

I also use a QHD monitor, but although the size of the panel at the bottom is not so huge, I have no problems reading the text.

Maybe you have graphical problems like on this picture below that makes the text garbled? This happens when you use an intel GPU.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Bufo

58 minutes ago, Bufo said:

Hi,

I also use a QHD monitor, but although the size of the panel at the bottom is not so huge, I have no problems reading the text.

Maybe you have graphical problems like on this picture below that makes the text garbled? This happens when you use an intel GPU.

1.jpg

2.jpg

No - after fixing the DPI scaling issue the text is sharp (using an RTX 2080). But it was small on 1080p already - on 1440p it is tiny... I can read it but it hurts ;) 

So - is there a way to force 1080p even though being a non native res this is non desirable. In the display settings I only have some historic settings like 1024 x 768 or "use Display Settings". Been looking around for some config file but can't find it...

Naturally a UI display scale setting would be the optimal solution but that would require quite some coding in this old engine...

In your documents folder there should be a text file called "display size.txt". If not create a blank text document. There should be three 0's by default. This will tell the game to use the desktop resolution. Alter the first two numbers for the display size you prefer and the third number is your monitor refresh rate.

22 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

In your documents folder there should be a text file called "display size.txt". If not create a blank text document. There should be three 0's by default. This will tell the game to use the desktop resolution. Alter the first two numbers for the display size you prefer and the third number is your monitor refresh rate.

Great - this one did the trick! In 1920x1080 it's possible to play it and my montitor does an OK job of downscaling even though it gets a bit fuzzy.

I guess it was 3-4 years since I played CMx2 last time and unfortunately it's really showing it's age now. At first I actually thought it was CMx1 I had started. But oh god how many nice hours I have had with both CMx1 and CMx2.