Music for gaming

I have always found that appropriate music really makes a good game better.

I have GMed a lot of roleplaying games, and for a long time I have tried to have soundtracks ready on my computer to play when needed. I invented some "home brew" games set in the Second World War or its aftermath (Nazi Hunters - track down a fugitive Nazi and bring him to justice - players really enjoy that). For example most players don't know what the Horst Wessel Song is, but they viscerally know it is a Nazi anthem. Siegfried's Rhine Journey is better music, but it is indelibly associated with war and WW2 through a million documentaries. Playing these sounds made a big impact and could cue the players that something was going to happen.

In one RPG game the players (secret agents) find themselves as guests at a performance of the South German Racial Purity Folkdance Troupe, who do knee-slapping German folkdancing  (yes it exists) and I play some and tell them they are singing songs about bringing in the harvest, the pure love of a pure Aryan shepherd boy for his pure Aryan milkmaid...and hanging Jews from trees...the players were determined to wreak havoc on these not-very undercover Nazi special forces. One player who ferociously machine-gunned the last of them later in the adventure told me he wasn't sure whether it was their crimes against humanity or their crimes against music that offended him more. So ghastly music works as well in certain circumstances.

While playing online games like CM I soon find the regular music, however good gets boring.

It is also important to get music right: playing the brilliant Lord of the Rings soundtrack doesn't work with any games set after the medieval period.

As I have mentioned, I am a big fan of Shogun 2, but traditional Japanese music is too different for my ears - the westernised soundtracks of Samurai films and manga work much better for me.

There is also the need for different music at different phases of the game. For example, the soundtracks of the original Doom and its successors have pulsing heavy metal, which is perfect for some sort of all out assault, but then become overpowering. I use Lucas King a lot (especially Dark Piano Music III) - he is ideal for gothic horror soundtracks, but in CM if you are sneaking your infantry through backstreets, fearing an ambush, then they are great.

When I am planning a turn, or just moving in to position, I want something atmospheric, but not to aggressive or overpowering, so I am not distracted.

War film music often works, and sometimes, when I am sending in a helo attack, I have to play Ride of the Valkyries: "My boys love it!".

I was playing some martial bagpipe tracks when I did SF2 UK Armoured Assault, for some of the time. I'm not a big fan of the pipes, but they are essential when you are sending the Scots in to kick some butt, I feel.

Obviously I have a penchant for heavy metal (it's my age) and the Vietnam era music, for example in Full Metal Jacket even some innocuous 60's track seem indelibly military now. Recently I saw Joker, and Rock n' Roll Part 2 has become quite disturbing because of the film and also that Gary Glitter is a convicted pervert. These connotations are important and circulate around your subconscious.

I have various tracks on the computer but what I have found most convenient is to have YouTube open and use various soundtracks. If something gets boring or doesn't feel right it is easy to find another.  I save the best ones into playlists so I can get back to them quickly.

I'd be interested in any other suggestions or recommendations.