What should be the specs for my new computer?

12 hours ago, c3k said:

Sigh.

I really wish that you had taken my advice and gotten your own thread up here. Instead, you've hijacked someone else's.

Your issue is very unique. Yes, we'd all like to help you resolve it. How about we reserve THIS thread to resolve the OP's issue?

Yes sorry about that.  Started off by responding and then hijacked.  :(

On 7/3/2020 at 7:28 PM, c3k said:

Sigh.

I really wish that you had taken my advice and gotten your own thread up here. Instead, you've hijacked someone else's.

Your issue is very unique. Yes, we'd all like to help you resolve it. How about we reserve THIS thread to resolve the OP's issue?

Thanks for trying to keep this thread on topic.

So, just to reiterate, at this point I am merely considering replacing my old computer. I'm still in the exploring stage. Also, I will have it custom built, just like my previous three or four computers, and I will not do this myself. I think what I might eventually do is get a couple of options for a system and perhaps run those options by you folks in this thread and see what you think. But this may not happen for a while. As I said previously, I'm still running Win7 at this time, so I haven't even upgraded to Win10, which will probably happen before anything else.

In the meantime, thanks for your answers again.

ps- all my cost estimates are in US dollars

I can recommend XI Computers of CA: http://www.xicomputer.com/.  They have built many of my high end machines for about 20 years and they have never broken down.  

If you like Win 7 you will probably hate Win 10 as that OS is designed to advertise and sell you stuff as well as "encourage" you to use social media.  I use a Win 7 shell so my Win 10 systems look and function like my old Win 7 machines.  Only problem as previously mentioned is something in the very latest US version of the OS (whether it's Defender or Privacy issues) seems to prevent CM2 from running.