Stop Getting Shot At

And yet every year or so we have the same debate.  From the above, my understanding of what happens in the game: 

It doesn't matter what speed the vehicle is moving at, the AI will slow it to the appropriate speed for the terrain.  The % probability of bogging & immobilization is the same regardless of the speed ordered.  

However, if the vehicle has passengers, it will move at a slower pace.  

It's still unclear if the vehicle loaded with passengers will move at one speed level slower than ordered, or if it will always move at a MOVE pace regardless of what (faster) speed is ordered.  (Presumably if ordered to move SLOW it would use that speed rather than MOVE.)

If not stated clearly in the manual(s) perhaps this could be made a sticky as we've gone over this topic many, many times.

Edited by Erwin

4 minutes ago, Erwin said:

From the above, my understanding of what happens in the game: 

It doesn't matter what speed the vehicle is moving at, the AI will slow it to the appropriate speed for the terrain.  The % probability of bogging & immobilization is the same regardless of the speed ordered.  

However, if the vehicle has passengers, it will move at a slower pace.  

All correct.

With bogging as a potential hazard does travelling in REVERSE give your vehicle a better chance of not bogging down? I thought that was true in CM1. I used it with success but never tested it in FORWARD. Being a snow country I know it to be true in RL.

On 1/28/2021 at 9:15 AM, Erwin said:

It's still unclear if the vehicle loaded with passengers will move at one speed level slower than ordered, or if it will always move at a MOVE pace regardless of what (faster) speed is ordered.  (Presumably if ordered to move SLOW it would use that speed rather than MOVE.)

Yes.  A tank with riders can travel at the speeds of Slow and Move.   In the UI the player can order the tank with riders to travel Quick or Fast however it will actually travel at Move.  The tank with riders can also use HuntHull Down and Reverse.     

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

That is a useful clarification.  IIRC HUNT is faster than MOVE, so one can use that to transport units on a tank a little faster than MOVE when not expecting contact.

It stops as well when it sees an enemy and it would be great if the passengers would take evasive action. Would the dismount feature help?

3 hours ago, Khalerick said:

Pondering aloud: if you pair Hunt on the tank with a regular move command on the soldiers, would the soldiers disembark the second the tank stopped on enemy contact, similar to the way they'd disembark if the tank's move command reached its natural conclusion?

Only one way to find out. Play a game and find out. I have become a little wary to share anything what is not in the manual. Read something try it out. Now I combine the assault order with a direct fire order. This is similar combination of two moves. But more things come into play. Like Experience, Leadership, Motivation and more. One thing is not real to remain on an engine deck when all hell breaks loose.

6 hours ago, Khalerick said:

Pondering aloud: if you pair Hunt on the tank with a regular move command on the soldiers, would the soldiers disembark the second the tank stopped on enemy contact, similar to the way they'd disembark if the tank's move command reached its natural conclusion?

I believe so.

12 hours ago, Khalerick said:

Yes.  I often assign Slow to the soldiers riding a tank no matter the movement command of the tank.  If the AI stops the tank before the destination it is generally because something bad has happened.  With Slow the soldiers dismount and begin to crawl away from the tank.  The turn ends and I can now intervene and give the soldiers appropriate orders.  IMO they are more likely to survive until I can intervene if they are on Slow (so prone and crawling away from the tank that is probably drawing fire).   

13 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Yes.  I often assign Slow to the soldiers riding a tank no matter the movement command of the tank.  If the AI stops the tank before the destination it is generally because something bad has happened.  With Slow the soldiers dismount and begin to crawl away from the tank.  The turn ends and I can now intervene and give the soldiers appropriate orders.  IMO they are more likely to survive until I can intervene if they are on Slow (so prone and crawling away from the tank that is probably drawing fire).   

This is good advice.

Saved me a tankful of red crosses many times.

22 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

assign Slow to the soldiers riding a tank no matter the movement command of the tank.  If the AI stops the tank before the destination it is generally because something bad has happened.  With Slow the soldiers dismount and begin to crawl away from the tank.

Yes, very good advice.  Good to have on one's "best practices" or "good tactics" list.

Edited by Erwin

On 1/29/2021 at 11:33 PM, Erwin said:

That is a useful clarification.  IIRC HUNT is faster than MOVE, so one can use that to transport units on a tank a little faster than MOVE when not expecting contact.

Just give the tank a FAST order. It will move at max permitted speed when it has riders.

I don't know of any people who equal him with small arms. Be the first one on the range and the last one to leave (His Philosophy). In CM: Be the first one to shoot and be the one to fire the last shot. Speed and accuracy he shows his magic at 200 meters and with the pistol 25 meters. Now we have our computer squads with M4 Assault Rifles, don't fire from too far away. That is the job of support weapons and possibly the sniper. 

Jerry Miculek - Pro Shooter - YouTube