AVG vs AVAST vs Win Defender

Erwin

Have been using the free version of AVG on multiple computers for many years (plus SPYBOT for cookies).  Was advised that AVG is active and uses processing power so better to use Win Defender as that is as good as AVG but uses less processing power.  Is that correct?

Am also considering trying AVAST.  Am curious how AVAST compares to AVG (free d/l version) and Win Defender.

What have been your experiences?

I switched to Defender as soon as I started using Win10.  For device point protection Defender is very good.  I find all the 3rd party security apps no better, but very intrusive.  I have been on Win10 since it was released and not had a single virus or malware infection.  I am on the web 12-14 hours a day and not had a single issue.  I switched my entire household of seven PCs over to Defender at the same time and not a single infection.

Out corporate security officer has said for standalone security, Defender can't be beat.  But if you are managing multiple devices in a corporate network, there are other systems out there that can do things for IT ops that Defender can't do.

I'm not sure what it is, but Windows Defender seems to be causing problems for some CM users. Supposedly turning off the active protection (which apparently will turn itself back on again, automatically...) and setting exceptions still doesn't help. However some other users haven't seen problems. I don't know if there are slightly different versions out there depending on your OS or what the case may be.

Almost anything that offers 'active protection' is probably going to take up CPU cycles. Some programs are worse offenders than others (though the intent is usually to protect you from an even broader number of attacks). I'm not sure how well AVG compares to Avast. In the past I used to use Avira and AVG, but then I ran into problems with Avira (an exception still wouldn't stop the interference) and I can't remember why I switched away from AVG (possibly a similar issue). Most of the free ones are fairly comparable. I haven't done any performance checking to see which one has less of a performance hit on a system (though they may be similar in that regard too). The thing that is probably most annoying are the false-positives any of the security programs can potentially give you. You're more likely to get a false positive than you are to be infected/compromised.

Apparently AVG and AVAST are now the same company:

https://www.cloudwards.net/avast-vs-avg/

I will try what was suggested earlier...  Installing AVAST, seeing if CM2 will run, and then uninstalling AVAST since Defender seems to have best reviews ad it seems to reactivate itself(?). 

(I may even try that with AVG as am more familiar with AVG and its exceptions.)

The thing about Defender is its very tightly integrated in the OS.  There are legal restrictions as how far they can integrate, but our CSO says for point protection Defender is at least 30% less of a hit on file management and execution.

Back on Win7 years ago I used AVG.  I ended up uninstalling specifically because it gave massive issues with CM2's DRM.  Since switching to Defender, I have never had CM2 flagged on any PC.  And I probably install/uninstall CM2 more than anyone on the forums.

I have used AVG on Win 7 and Win 10 machines for many years.  Once I got CM2 games' exe in the exception list there was no problem at all.  But, yes I was told that AVG makes a processing power hit.

It's frustrating that after all these years CM2 still has install issues even on a brand new "vanilla" system and we have to go thru all these hoops.

13 hours ago, Erwin said:

It's frustrating that after all these years CM2 still has install issues even on a brand new "vanilla" system and we have to go thru all these hoops.

Ya don't say!  I have gotten my share of grief on this board saying the same thing for 10 years.

I've just had some issues with CMRT and root cause appears to have been Windows Defender. I have now installed Avast (have a premium account via work) and CMRT exes work fine now. Took a fair bot of fiddling about as have not had any problems (so i thought) with Windows Defender prior.