Soldiers with MP44 not firing

I've got several German infantry squads/teams in action in an QB email game. Two of them each have a soldier with MP44 in their ranks who will not fire his weapon - even though everyone else is shooting at the opponent's infantry at around 120-160 m range, including targets without cover, and even with an area target fire order.

The MP44 soldiers pose with their hands as if they were holding a gun but the gun remains on their back. It is easy to tell that they haven't fired a shot because they their ammo supply hasn't changed since the start of the battle (210 rounds of 7.92K).

(CMBN 4.02; I can share e-mail files and password with staff to allow them to investigate - I don't want to give away too much intel here as the battle is ongoing).

Edited by Drifter Man

7 minutes ago, Drifter Man said:

I've got several German infantry squads/teams in action in an QB email game. Two of them each have a soldier with MP44 in their ranks who will not fire his weapon - even though everyone else is shooting at the opponent's infantry at around 120-160 m range, including targets without cover, and even with an area target fire order.

The MP44 soldiers pose with their hands as if they were holding a gun but the gun remains on their back. It is easy to tell that they haven't fired a shot because they their ammo supply hasn't changed since the start of the battle (210 rounds of 7.92K).

(CMBN 4.02; I can share e-mail files and password with staff to allow them to investigate - I don't want to give away too much intel here as the battle is ongoing).

You can send me a pm with the saves and password and I will take a look.

It's all useful information.....In the past I've used the 'Hunt' move to the same action spot the unit currently occupies, in an attempt to get them to spot & engage units that should be within their LOS, but which, for whatever reason, they could not see.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Just waiting for them to spot on thir own might well be equally effective, but at least it feels like I did something.  ;)

True... and often I give an area target order to a unit (usually MG or AFV) for a target it can barely see - only for it to spend an entire turn in an aiming/firing/waiting cycle without actually firing a shot.

One should only go for targets that are clearly in sight, but one also wants to keep own units out of harm's way, so these things inevitably happen.

• 1 month later...

This one deserves an update. In the end it turned out that it is not a matter of position/LOS of the soldier in question, but instead that it is a feature that gives some German LMG gunners an assisting soldier who does not fire his weapon, except perhaps when the squad is on the move or when the gunner has become a casualty. This soldier keeps his rifle on his back and stands next to the gunner.

I observed this with panzergrenadier and aufklarung units having two LMG's per squad - but I'm not saying it is necessarily limited to these.

In the case of panzergrenadiers, the assisting soldiers are from the team member slots that can (and often do) receive a G43 or MP44, so the loss of firepower can be significant.

You can also note a similar assistant in HMG teams (both German and Allied) when the weapon is deployed.

Edited by Drifter Man

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 5:34 AM, Drifter Man said:

German LMG gunners an assisting soldier who does not fire his weapon, except perhaps when the squad is on the move or when the gunner has become a casualty. This soldier keeps his rifle on his back and stands next to the gunner.

Yes, and this assisting soldier is also the reason why it takes extra time for MGs to set up - when you run a team with an MG to a position, they arrive fast but then the assistant has to crawl slowly from one end of the team to the other side before the MG can start deploying.

Whereas in reality, the assistant would follow the gunner and go prone next to him, ready to help with the ammo belts.

This was one of the first issues I reported six-seven years ago. It was obviously never seen as a priority to fix.

Edited by Bulletpoint