Fire and Rubble DAR: BFCElvis vs Ithikial_AU - Soviet Side

9 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Will be interesting to see how you solve this situation. 

I already know how the situation plays out. There are probably 2 turns that haven't been posted here yet. I should probably wait for him to catch up posting before continuing.

Usually this is now where auto evade takes over in unpleasent ways. Any suicide movements yet, your or german side?

No. The opposite. General game engine spoiler. The running away code is being worked on (not just for CMRT). I think both ithikial_AU and I agree that units may be too resistant to run away and route now. So, it will probably be tweaked the other direction a bit before release.  But suicide movements are gone....for now. at least. Think of that as a bone for all titles.

1 minute ago, BFCElvis said:

I already know how the situation plays out. There are probably 2 turns that haven't been posted here yet. I should probably wait for him to catch up posting before continuing.

No. The opposite. General game engine spoiler. The running away code is being worked on (not just for CMRT). I think both ithikial_AU and I agree that units may be too resistant to run away and route now. So, it will probably be tweaked the other direction a bit before release.  But suicide movements are gone....for now. at least. Think of that as a bone for all titles.

Thanks for telling. 😎 Think many of us are interested to know about that good news, even if it´s still WIP. But it to me also indicates that pathing issues are still persistent. It wasn´t actually the evade feature as such which is realistic, but rather its execution. Waypoint towards enemy, instant execution of movement towards that waypoint (fast mode and least resistance path with regard to speed) and current morale state of evading unit. In CMBN/CMFB I found it suffices oftenly when beeing in "Pinned" state (suppression bar full up and pinned), so it´s not all real panicking units doing that insane moves. It might suffice if giving maybe 30 seconds more before actual evade movements start, so at least a player has a chance to "correct" the TacAI´s choices lil later.

As I mentioned elsewhere I solve most these unpleasent occasions by applying an indefinite pause to a unit that I want to stick in place for remainder of running game turn. If in my follow up game turn I find a "paused" unit has a TacAI evade command in place, I then either decide to leave it,  but correct WP and move mode or cancel it, followed by another indefinite pause. Off course works only with units not yet shaken or panicked (can not be given orders and ignore "pause" with some delay). But helps greatly with units in any the better morale states. That "trick" doesn´t help the AIP though.

So fingers crossed you´ll find a good solution or compromise at last. 😎 ....and leave the player "pause option" in.

10 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Thanks for telling. 😎

A part of me regretted mentioning anything but the changes are showing in this battle so it was an appropriate time to say somefink. I don't want to derail the thread over it and since it is a work in progress I also don't want to talk about it in a new a thread just yet. But I am glad that I said something because we've said for a while that we're aware of an issue and it's being worked on. At least now people can see that wasn't just lip service. Turns out Ithikial_AU has changed his opinion about the changes and said this in a DM I got this morning (I don't think he knew that I brought it up yesterday):

Seeing a few more infantry results in our battle I think the changes due to the hedgerow bug fix are working more or less as intended. My Green troops are sticking around a lot more in buildings because they have more time to take cover and lose surpression which means less chance of breaking. This makes sense even for green troops given they are in a position somewhere secure. Veteran troops will probably be vertually impossible to dislodge however without HE.

In my reply I didn't mention that he has already dislodged lots of Veteran troops. So, it's not "virtually impossible" to dislodge Veteran troops 🙂 

1 hour ago, BFCElvis said:

A part of me regretted mentioning anything but the changes are showing in this battle so it was an appropriate time to say somefink. I don't want to derail the thread over it and since it is a work in progress I also don't want to talk about it in a new a thread just yet. But I am glad that I said something because we've said for a while that we're aware of an issue and it's being worked on. At least now people can see that wasn't just lip service. Turns out Ithikial_AU has changed his opinion about the changes and said this in a DM I got this morning (I don't think he knew that I brought it up yesterday):

In my reply I didn't mention that he has already dislodged lots of Veteran troops. So, it's not "virtually impossible" to dislodge Veteran troops 🙂 

thanks, highly appreciated. Sounds promising to me at least. 😎 🍻

I still think that I have the armor advantage. So, all I can do is shake it off and move on.

The armored car. After his infantry got torn up by the SMG company the only significant damage that I've been taking if from an armored car with a 20mm gun. That can hurt some squishies. What can I do about it?

56_1.jpg

To move my Sappers into position so that they can blast their way through the buildings and with any luck get a shot at the Panther I need to get some covering fire for them. So I move a team into the corner building and, of course, he has eyes on it. At times it feel that there is nowhere on the map that I don't control that I can move without taking some fire. 

The recoilless continues to take potshots at my armor near Berliner Weisse but he must be firing area fire because I can't target him with my armor (although I can with an HQ unit) and he probably can't target me.  

54_1.jpg

54_2.jpg

This is a look at what I have been seeing a lot of. One guys gets plugged. A little while later his buddy gets popped. This is happening all over the map to both of us. Death by a thousand papercuts. I hope that this favors me. My infantry near Berliner Weisse is pretty beat up. I have a good deal of squads that are fine but I have just as many that are torn up.

54_5.jpg

54_6.jpg

Man, he has people everywhere. Getting some more guys into position to help out the Sapper team and sure enough, spotted 2 more units watching the area.

Looks like I also plinked another guy with the recoilless gun...It still isn't knocked out though. 

53_2.jpg

53_3.jpg

In an effort to give my Sappers a little support as they prepare to blow their way through walls to get to the Panther, I looked at the corner of that building I had talked about earlier. The one that I said I couldn't get tanks to go around. It occured to me that I may be able to bring one up to area fire on the building that I is closest to the corner. So, I brought an OT-34 up. Sure enough. I got a LOF at the building.

52_2.jpg