Fire and Rubble DAR: BFCElvis vs Ithikial_AU - Soviet Side

3 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

I agree 100% with danfrodo. Video, or it didn't happen.

I'll do something. I've been working on videos for a different project recently...so maybe it wouldn't hurt. What might make the video suck is getting the right camera angle with all of the buildings. Once people start moving it's tough to follow them without losing sight of'em. It may not come across in my screenshots but it takes a bit of time to frame a screenshot to be (hopefully) interesting and also aesthetically pleasing. 

My posts are currently about 3 turns behind where we are in the battle. So, it isn't too late to try. There are still 4 more turns until the arty starts falling.

4 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

I'll do something. I've been working on videos for a different project recently...so maybe it wouldn't hurt. What might make the video suck is getting the right camera angle with all of the buildings. Once people start moving it's tough to follow them without losing sight of'em. It may not come across in my screenshots but it takes a bit of time to frame a screenshot to be (hopefully) interesting and also aesthetically pleasing. ...

Oh, I totally understand on the camera angles, time, and work. I haven't done a video in ages, but IIRC, last time I did one, I clocked the production time. To really follow the action closely and add voiceover, it came out to roughly an hour of work per minute of video.

Here he comes. Using his smoke cover he advances with a Mark IV and some infantry. His tank is moving fast. I get one of the soldiers running. I'm pretty sure the AT rifle team guy is the one that got him because I haven't moved his beat up butt since he did the buddy aid and didn't come up with the AT rifle. 

The tank goes deep with the cover of smoke. (setting up a punchline for a fan of The Office)

19_2.jpg

19_3.jpg

Here we go. I don't know if Ithikail has posted this yet or not but the poo poo is about to get real. 

The 3 tanks along the road (one MArk IV and 2 TSs) advance to the intersection near Jagermeister. The tank that just rushed through the park has turned the corner at the other end of the street. Fortunately, I had ordered my AT gun to face that direction and Sherman was already facing the intersection. 

18_1.jpg

18_2.jpg

The tank at the end of the road comes around the corner before the tanks at the intersection. My Sherman rotates it's gun to get it. Then the first tank enters the intersection and it begins to rotate back and take aim. The At gun hasn't fired yet and my Sherman now has it's back to the tank at the end of the street. I take a hit!!!!! I'm very lucky that it didn't penetrate. 

18_3.jpg

18_4.jpg

I'm able to quickly reload and get a shot at one of the TDs. Hit! 

I'm pretty sure that I knocked it out but I don't have confirmation of that as the turn ends.

Still not a peep out of the tank behind me. And the lousy AT gun isn't even targeting it yet. I have to decide during the plot phase which of these 3 things should I do:

1) Fire at the hit TD again to make sure it's dead

B ) Assume it's dead and target the other TD since I'm facing that way

iii) Target the other Mark IV hoping that the one TD is dead and the other is facing the wrong way and would take a while to pivot and face me to get a shot.

18_8.jpg

18_9.jpg

The last screenshot for the night is another bit of unexpected weirdness up by Berliner Weisse. He moved his tank! I have no idea why. It was in perfect position to be trouble for me during the human wave. It rolls right past my waiting SU-85 that doesn't spot it! Ugh. How great would that have been after getting those other two tanks if I could have plugged that guy too....on the same turn.

18_10.jpg

I'm finally getting a chance to catch up here. Getting things together for the Steam announcement had me playing with CMSF2 a lot lately. Some of what I'm posting  I assume you've already seen. First, the good-ish. 

The Sherman got another hit on the TD and it became a confirmed kill.

The 47mm AT got a hit on the Mark IV but because it's a peashooter it bounced harmlessly off of it.

17-1.jpg

17_2.jpg

The not good at all news is that the Mark IV quickly got a shot off and took out the Sherman. 

My cute move to try and sneak behind the Mark IV near Berliner Weisse turned out to not be too cute at all. 

When he came at me from both ends of the street I knew there was no way I'd come out of the situation with the Sherman still standing. My hope was to take out as much as I could before losing it. Looks like it was a 2 for 1 exchange. If it were 3 to 1 I would have considered it a success.

17_3.jpg

17_4.jpg

He's popped a lot of smoke around his Mark IV but I want to keep my peashooter trained in that direction on the off chance that it may be able to get a shot that counts.

And look at this! Look what just casually rolled into view! I believe I had mentioned a Panther in the Berliner Weisse area earlier and then believed that I'd mis-identified it and it was really a Mark IV. Turns out there really was a Panther there. He's the guy that I didn't count on when I tried my aggressive move with my SU-85. Nuts.

16_1.jpg

16_2.jpg

The first shot is just because something exploded in front of his tank and it drove down the street. I have no idea what the explosion was or where it came from but it gave my another "cute" idea.

The human wave platoons continue to get into position. Now that he has 2 tanks in that area I am questioning my chances of success. The thing is.......I have no other options at this point.

15_1.jpg

15_2.jpg

They make their move on the Mark IV just as he begins popping smoke and backing away.

Also, my air support returns and makes me wonder about his other TD. It has fired on a couple of snipers but it has not moved since the big tank exchange a few turns ago. It's really acting like it got immobilized during the exchange. Without a turret it will be as good as dead.

14_1.jpg

14_3.jpg

Love the addition of the lend-lease vehicles like the Sherman tanks.

I see no shadows below or beside the vehicles, or anything else for that matter. It seems you are playing with the shadow casting option disabled, yes?

Edit: Just considered it is overcast weather, which of course tones down the shadows. Though, it is still a bit odd. I can see the shadow of the barrel of the tanks on the tank hull, but no shadow at all on the ground.

Edited by Kevin2k

3 hours ago, Kevin2k said:

Love the addition of the lend-lease vehicles like the Sherman tanks.

I see no shadows below or beside the vehicles, or anything else for that matter. It seems you are playing with the shadow casting option disabled, yes?

Edit: Just considered it is overcast weather, which of course tones down the shadows. Though, it is still a bit odd. I can see the shadow of the barrel of the tanks on the tank hull, but no shadow at all on the ground.

Yeah. Shadows are on.