Fire and Rubble DAR: BFCElvis vs Ithikial_AU - German Side

Lord Of The Rings LOTR GIF - LordOfTheRings LOTR SoItBegins ...

(Budbaker has his comics… but I’m not an artist so expect memes)

Welcome to the Fire and Rubble German DAR as I take on BFCElvis and his pesky Soviets in a very late war May 1945 urban engagement in Berlin… and it’s somehow snowing. The war has effectively ended but my guys didn’t get the memo, so our adhoc combined arms force is going to push forward into no man’s land one last time.

The mission is a simple meeting engagement. Secure Objective Jägermeister and Objective Berliner Weisse, while holding our own starting Objective, codenamed Vodka. The Soviets deploy around Jägermeister.

The map is a very small slice of Benpark’s absolute monster 2x master maps covering the centre of Berlin. Honestly each master map with no units took my PC around 25 mins just to load in 3D preview mode. The part of Berlin we’ll be fighting over is towards the north east corner of the eastern map. If I’ve got my bearings right, I think we’re close to Alexander Platz and a hostel I stayed at back in 2017… I digress.

1168395163_CMRedThunder2020-05-2719-23-11-93.thumb.jpg.9cd4f185b8d98e0635bd035bb14d11b9.jpg

The map from above. Well... the right way up because I'm from Australia... (I took the picture looking south <facepalm>)

2051989695_CMRedThunder2020-05-2719-25-57-55.thumb.jpg.7466134dadaee381541c1409bb34db41.jpg

The forces…

To show off the variety of new kit I’ve done away with forming a coherent force for a little bit of everything. Command and control is going to suck. :D

These small forces are organised into small kampfgruppes of between a platoon to a company in strength.

KG @benpark – In honour of the mapmaker himself, he commands the central force which is a company of Waffen SS Pioneers with enough demolition charges to level a few of his meticulously placed buildings. Part of his force will however need to remain behind to cover Obj Vodka if it all falls apart. The bulk of the force will advance. (Benpark's force highlighted in the picture below).1252513880_CMRedThunder2020-05-2719-23-39-48.thumb.jpg.a35a2c2558c4f385f27bfcc8a9293271.jpg

KG @mjkerner – Commands the Fallschirmjager who will be the main infantry force trying to take and hold Obj Berliner Weisse. (Picture of the KG that will take the beer objective).

1226286408_CMRedThunder2020-05-2719-24-05-63.thumb.jpg.88134a3569d049073e78a7a8aef77bc4.jpg

KG @Hapless – Will be working in tandem with KG Mjkerner to secure the beer. This adhoc Panzer Platoon (more on that later) includes a Panther, PzIV’s and a PzIII. Yep a PzIII. For all the grief I gave poor Steve I had to include at least one in the DAR.

KG @DoubleD – The other adhoc Panzer Platoon is kitted out with 2x JzPz IV/70’s (including one of the ugly versions), a Panther and a Panzer IV. They will be initially responsible to heading up my left flank to get into a good position to effectively cut the map in half. Oh and something new...

1857221982_CMRedThunder2020-05-2719-24-28-87.thumb.jpg.8c25cea2ffdcedf6090027e2ed3aae89.jpg

KG @Bootie – The local Volkssturm unit. Initially will be responsible to provide security to KG DoubleD who will be exposed in an urban environment.

KG @Josey Wales – The adhoc Armoured Car unit. Will be holding back for the moment but will be used as a mobile reserve depending on the situation. Oh and some weird ones... :D

674188146_CMRedThunder2020-05-2719-24-37-60.thumb.jpg.7527d65ac4a2aee726bb0881b00ae2f8.jpg

And I’ve just noticed a bug. Every single unit is set to typical/default ‘Green’ experience. The joys of betas. :D

The Enemy

We’ve picked forces in the editor and not the quick battle generator so some variety can be included in the DAR – particularly on this side. Benpark has ensured it’s roughly balanced. I’m expecting a solid Battalion (+) of Soviet infantry coming at me and probably a company or more of tanks. Probably Lend Lease heavy….

We’ve sort of agreed to avoid major spending on off board assets and focus more on the visible units.

Da Plan

KG Mjkerner and Hapless have the initial glory as they race to secure Obj Berliner Weisse, (Green and blue). If Hapless can get his tanks into position first it will be a big help as we wait for the foot slogging infantry to catch up.

KG DoubleD probably has the most crucial task of trying to cut the map in two, (Red). That major street running through the centre of the map will be key. It’s closer to BFCElvis’ deployment zone so I’m expecting Soviet tanks to roll past it or already be on that road by the time I arrive. But if I can split up to Soviet armoured force or I’m real lucky and BFCElvis plays cautious and leads with his infantry DoubleD’s JzPzIV’s will have a field day.

KG Bootie (white) and his Volkssturm will cover KG DoubleD, while KG Benpark (orange) will advance with the intent of pressuring Jagermeister. KG Josey Wales will remain behind in the deployment zone ready to move to where he and his armoured cars are required. Either helping Benpark around Obj Jagermeister, or to backup Hapless and Mjkerner around Obj Berliner Weisse.

The map….

1060371484_FRBetaDARDeploymentandPlan.thumb.jpg.885dde7582b50ce6ac4a506805036e1e.jpg

That’s about it for now. Feel free to post any queries below but obviously no promises that I’m allowed to answer anything. Also, the usual caveat that all screenshots you see here are taken from a beta so everything you see is subject to change. I’ll try to avoid the placeholder art where I can but who knows, maybe we’ll have purple Panzer IV’s in the final build.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

Ha love it, a great idea to get our attention. I am now invested in my small kampfgruppe - charge them forwards to crush the red savages! Fast moves to Jagermeister all round!!

Err on second thoughts I've just remembered that never works....so umm...yep, just keeping them in reserve for now is probably a better idea. 😜

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Huh?  :huh:

The Sd.Kfz.251/22 was a last ditch attempt at a panzerjager and it didn't enter service until 1945.

Hmm...  There was some sort of vehicle photo'd in NA that looks very much like the unit above. Not sure what it was then...

Thanks very much for doing this. Great stuff!

For best presentation, it would be great if you could make sure to tap the graphic settings up to max whenever taking screenies. Also, to assure max LOD, if you tap up to best, then zoom all the way in, then slowly tap to zoom out to your desired framing, you'll nurse the game engine to keep the best LOD it can. That is especially effective for things like damaged trees. They'll keep their branches longer if you use the zoom in and zoom out technique.

Lookin' forward to more!

5 hours ago, Erwin said:

Hmm...  There was some sort of vehicle photo'd in NA that looks very much like the unit above. Not sure what it was then...

Probably a Sd.Kfz.250/10 or 251/10 (with 37mm PAK) or maybe the Sd.Kfz. 250/11 (with 28mm ATR).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Meet to Volkssturm

While we wait for the action to kick off let's play a game. Who can guess all the small arms in this UI screenshot? I've cobbled together a few UI elements here so no, this doesn't all belong to the one squad. Middle column are just more K98's.

45039329_CMRedThunder2020-05-3010-31-21-70.jpg.437b2b2164d486b2c906b436f39c2fbb.jpg

1512890120_CMRedThunder2020-05-3010-30-17-61.thumb.jpg.356e25a361bf0a84e8e36990463f26b5.jpg

2 hours ago, Macisle said:

Thanks very much for doing this. Great stuff!

For best presentation, it would be great if you could make sure to tap the graphic settings up to max whenever taking screenies. Also, to assure max LOD, if you tap up to best, then zoom all the way in, then slowly tap to zoom out to your desired framing, you'll nurse the game engine to keep the best LOD it can. That is especially effective for things like damaged trees. They'll keep their branches longer if you use the zoom in and zoom out technique.

Lookin' forward to more!

I'm already on the best settings. But I do have an idea for the future that I can do in the beta for better screens. Will keep it in mind for future overall situation shots.

9 hours ago, Erwin said:

Nice to see what looks like the Sd.Kfz.251/222 (https://weaponsystems.net/system/81-Sd.Kfz. 251/22)   That was made famous IIRC in North Africa as one of Rommel's guard vehicles.  So, we're getting closer to having more units for a CM:Afrika Korps module.  :)

Those two vehicles in the screenshot were:

SWP 251/22 Ausf D - 75mm L/46 Pak 40

and

PSW 234/4 - 75mm L/46 Pak 40

31 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Meet to Volkssturm

While we wait for the action to kick off let's play a game. Who can guess all the small arms in this UI screenshot? I've cobbled together a few UI elements here so no, this doesn't all belong to the one squad. Middle column are just more K98's.

45039329_CMRedThunder2020-05-3010-31-21-70.jpg.437b2b2164d486b2c906b436f39c2fbb.jpg

1512890120_CMRedThunder2020-05-3010-30-17-61.thumb.jpg.356e25a361bf0a84e8e36990463f26b5.jpg

what is the no.5 MG .

I can not know it

2 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Meet to Volkssturm

5 would be Luftwaffe MG 15.  Will be interesting to see the Volksturm guys spraying its ammo over half of Berlin. :lol:

Remaining most likely captured stuff from foreign origin (Italian, russian etc). From some personal digging of stuff I know there were Lebel, Mannlicher, Mosin, as well as french FM24 guns in use for Luftwaffe (Flak) and Volkssturm.

Is this the final version of the field cap?

It looks very good from the side....but the more frontal view looks al little bit like a tschako...

( I think because it tapers towards the bottom...(is this understandable?))

Remark: And I want to add, that this is not a complaint, only curiosity)

Edited by waffelmann
Add a remark...