[Feature Request] TCP/IP WeGo mode?

Feature request:

TCP/IP/Internet two players connected WeGo mode with adjustable timer.

So, basically two players connect and instead of playing in real time, both of them have the order and execution phase at the same time. Order phase length is limited by a timer which can be adjusted, but once both player presses a button the execution phase starts.

I've never played two-player real time over TCP/IP but assumed both players were able to pause play in order to mash orders on the keyboard. Is this not true?

If so, what is stopping players from developing house rules for limiting the number and the length of time the play is paused?

Something along the lines of each player is allowed a single pause lasting no more than 1 minute (or 2, 5, etc..) every 10 minutes (or 5, 15, X, etc.) of elapsed game time?

1 hour ago, Howler said:

I've never played two-player real time over TCP/IP but assumed both players were able to pause play in order to mash orders on the keyboard. Is this not true?

I don't know, never tried either.

The manual says:

"Two player Real Time Mode works just like in Single Player games, with the differ- ence being that players must mutually agree to a pause in the action.
Players can request a game pause during TCP-IP play by navigating to the Menu Options Panel and selecting one of the Request Pause options. The second player will be prompted to accept or decline the pause request. If the request is granted, the battle will be paused until both players press the Resume button, at which the action will continue.
Three types of pauses are available. A Playable Pause allows players to move their camera around the battlefield, select units, and give commands. A Viewable Pause allows players to move their camera across the battlefield, but they cannot issue commands to their units until the pause is lifted. A Locked Pause prevents players from moving their camera or interacting with units at all until the pause is lifted."

So I guess it's sort of possible if you have another player with the same wishes :)

Edited by Lethaface

34 minutes ago, Lethaface said:

The manual says:

"Two player Real Time Mode works just like in Single Player games, with the differ- ence being that players must mutually agree to a pause in the action.

So I guess it's sort of possible if you have another player with the same wishes :)

Better than nothing I guess.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:10 AM, SgtHatred said:

2-player turn based already exists. The timer can't be adjusted and you can't rewind the action because it's just real-time mode with a 1 minute auto-pause. You can even give orders during the playback, although I am pretty sure you are not supposed to.

This is actually my preferred choice for MP battles, but it is really missing the ability to rewind the action, as you can in SP. I would be so glad if that ability would be added!!

• 1 year later...

This post is a year old - and my first CM games were about 20 years ago. The proper tcp wego game play mode was lost many years ago when they changed the engine and effectively broke real time strategy play. It works by pbem but not tcp. It's a huge shame. My best wargaming memories were made playing CM1 in wego realtime - proper pausing of turns, the ability to rewind the action as many times as required and watch from different angles, all on a turn timer so that the replay watching was limited to 2mins or 5mins or 10mins or however long both players wanted to give it. It helped make the game a proper live strategy wargame and not a click fest or just a paused game. The pause game is no good at all because you cant watch all parts of the battlefield effectively without a replay option.

When TCP wego replay died I left the game. I come back in here occasionally hoping it might be properly reintegrated into the game but it would seem it isnt a big enough priority. PBEM is sterile - it works for some games and players who arent able to log in for a 2 or 3 hour session with an opponent/friend - but it isnt a patch on that TCP experience. Nothn=ing quite like CM1 has ever been made since - you can get some proper tcp fun on Civ6 or the Panzer Corps 2 is a very good hex based 2 player game - but it isnt like the 3D battlefield that CM created.

I'll keep popping in here to see whether tcp play becomes a priority again. I guess market research has suggested the most profit is made out of twitch fibre click fest or pbem. No problem with that - people have to make a living. But it is a shame that the best style of play was lost, even if it didnt win the popular majority vote.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:10 AM, SgtHatred said:

2-player turn based already exists. The timer can't be adjusted and you can't rewind the action because it's just real-time mode with a 1 minute auto-pause. You can even give orders during the playback, although I am pretty sure you are not supposed to.

i think what hes wishing for is it without the PBEM system. which i agree is a dated and fussy system to set up