commonwealth forces

So i started playing with the commonwealth forces and had a few questions with them. Is it better to keep each squad as three teams and split with that to move around or is it better to combine the squad to make two teams and then spit with that to move around(to get better fire output from each team). So far I am finding commonwealth squads very anaemic in terms of fire power in the ww2 titles. The americans tend to do well at mid to close ranges cause of the m1, the germans are great at long ranges thanks to the mg and the russians are very good close up cause every second person gets an smg. Also i keep on getting the feeling that squads are hesitant to open up at ranges on people. any ideas on how to get the best from them or is it a given that i will take more casualties with the british cause it takes a longer time to build up fire superiority?

• 1 month later...

Brens are your friend, as are the 51mm mortars, which can give some good suppression. I find the squads fragile too (Especially in mechanized/armoured inf battalions with only 7 in a squad), you have to be a lot more deliberate with your fire and maneuver.  Company level assets are fare more important too, a Vickers team can be really helpful. 

Don't neglect the carriers - a bren gun carrier can be a useful suppression tool, and the carrier platoon are really useful.  

On 6/30/2020 at 6:09 PM, 7thGalaxy said:

Brens are your friend, as are the 51mm mortars

Brens are good, but I find the 51mm mortars have too little ammo to do any real suppression.

On 5/27/2020 at 7:10 PM, ishfar94 said:

So far I am finding commonwealth squads very anaemic in terms of fire power in the ww2 titles.

I think it helps to think of playing CW as putting the game on hard mode. Take it as a challenge.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:10 AM, ishfar94 said:

I am finding commonwealth squads very anaemic in terms of fire power in the ww2 titles.

My sense is the Brit and CW forces (as are the Soviet) are heavily dependent on lots of artillery.  The challenge in many CM2 games is that many designers tend to not provide sufficient arty of the right/useful type.  It's as if they are designing the scenario for German force firepower/tactics and to make it an Allied attack, simply make the nationality W Allied or Soviet.