AI plans and a more responsive AI

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about some of the criticism of the AI in this thread and while much of it is entirely fair, IMHO all of it should perhaps be considered with the following in mind for perspective:

Imagine how well a battle might go for you if you had to give all of your units, all of their orders, for the entire battle, on the first turn.....Because that is more or less what designers are trying to do with AI plans.

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

magine how well a battle might go for you if you had to give all of your units, all of their orders, for the entire battle, on the first turn.....Because that is more or less what designers are trying to do with AI plans.

Yes...and that is indeed the biggest shortcomming of the AI...

The ONE WAY FORWARD OR NON AT ALL..limitation.

The AI needs a way the evaluate the battlefield situation and act accordingly...something it currently does not have.

On 1/30/2021 at 6:11 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yup, just checked on a fresh test map, this does not work in CM:SF2 (or not with the tank that I tried, the T-55).

My experience from scenario work is that player-controlled vehicles always start buttoned-up (player can then unbutton during setup), but AI vehicles always start unbuttoned -- no matter what the designer attempts to set. Once buttoned, AI units will not unbutton again during a battle.

The current AI behavior can be rather penalizing for the Soviets, because most of the vehicle fleet has four-man crews and even those tend to lack situational awareness. A T-34/76 with a dead TC is fairly blind. One work around I found is having T-34/76's do lots of Area Fire, as that will keep the TC safe during the AF.

I really wish BF would change things so that the designer can actually set what he wants (make the unbutton/button choice made during the scenario unit deployment preview "stick" at scenario start), depending on the action.

Edited by Macisle

3 hours ago, Macisle said:

My experience from scenario work is that player-controlled vehicles always start buttoned-up (player can then unbutton during setup), but AI vehicles always start unbuttoned

Ah, I didn't check to see what happens to vehicles on the AI side, I just assumed the behaviour would be the same (I should know better really).....Won't take me long to check though.

7 hours ago, Macisle said:

My experience from scenario work is that player-controlled vehicles always start buttoned-up (player can then unbutton during setup), but AI vehicles always start unbuttoned -- no matter what the designer attempts to set. Once buttoned, AI units will not unbutton again during a battle.

The current AI behavior can be rather penalizing for the Soviets, because most of the vehicle fleet has four-man crews and even those tend to lack situational awareness. A T-34/76 with a dead TC is fairly blind. One work around I found is having T-34/76's do lots of Area Fire, as that will keep the TC safe during the AF.

I really wish BF would change things so that the designer can actually set what he wants (make the unbutton/button choice made during the scenario unit deployment preview "stick" at scenario start), depending on the action.

The TC also had to communicate with other tanks because not all T 34/76 had radio. I noticed they don't have this problem in CM.