Darknight's CMBN Magnum Opus

Okay, I've finally finished this mod project...it's been going on in some form or another for years but the present vision was started last July or August, then I took a winter hiatus and being stuck at home has given me time to finally finish.

This mod started, as most of my mod work has, with my beloved CW troops.  I have nearly driven myself to madness in the past with my completionist obsession for modding the entire 21st Army Group but I deliberately avoided that problem this time by only focusing on the CW units actually represented in CMBN scenarios and campaigns.  I have modded the uniforms and vehicles for each CW unit that appears in CMBN (no small feat but better than my original obsession 😉), which led me to an exhaustive examination of all of the scenarios and campaigns I could find (reading notes, briefings and digging through the OOBs).  At this point, I decided that I wanted to make it easy to use the mod, so that meant looking into ModTags.  All of the unit graphics have had ModTags applied to them.

I identified 175 scenarios and 22 campaigns that would lend themselves to specific units being represented (CW, US & German); then, I extensively ModTagged all 175 of these scenarios.  For the 22 campaigns, since I couldn't add ModTags to the individual missions, I created campaign-specific mod .BRZ files, which will accomplish the same goal.  Along the way I have made a few changes to the CW armour models in a few of the scenarios and campaigns for greater unit historical accuracy but they are mostly unchanged by me.

Not being an SME on American or German vehicles/uniforms, I have personally ModTagged many of the community mods that I use and I have also included them in a couple of separate .BRZ files that can be used or not, depending on your preference (the beauty of this system is that if you prefer other mods, just tag them yourself using the ModTags I've added to the scenarios and you can get whatever mix you like).

Anyway, its all ready to go, I just need to put it up somewhere if people are interested.

Darknight

PS - If any scenario or campaign authors would like a particular CW formation that I haven't included (because they don't appear in CMBN yet), then drop me a line and I should be able to easily provide it, and I can advise on the ModTag structure and layering too, if needed.

50 minutes ago, Darknight (DC) said:

I see Bootie hasn't been on here in about 2 weeks, and I can't find a way to upload or even make contact for upload on CMMODs.

He's always around and also runs The Few Good Men (FGM) gaming site.  Just tag him @Bootie.  He will appear within 24 hours like Beetle-juice. :D  :lol:  

Colossal work @Darknight (DC) thank you to take the time to let us in details enjoy !

But do I missed something on the forum, ?  I see news Portraits from CMBN, ? are they already from Mords ? cos I dont find any news about it on the CMMODs, are they on the way to come on the CMMODS IV  ? 

I found  the 21 sth Army group, already helpfull, with this one is  a gain of time when you want make your own mods. 

Edited by 3j2m7

wow-  this is nice!  my favorite part is seeing paras with maroon berets,  it  actually gave me a bit of a lift in morale, having them.  i do wonder, though, would it be possible to have a mix of 'cherry berrys' and airborne helmets on the paras?   it looks as though some of the other 'rifle' units have a mix of berets and helmets, and one beret for every 3 or five paras, the rest wearing helmets, would look more realistic, i.m.h.o.. 

also very happy to see commandos actually dressed as commandos (battledress and green berets) rather thn wearing airborne uniforms, although later in the war denisson smocks were frequently worn by -commandos in holland and germany.

once again, incredible work.  thank you for the time and effort that you and all the other modders put into this game-  it makes a big difference!

cheers,

rob 

3 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

Colossal work @Darknight (DC) thank you to take the time to let us in details enjoy !

But do I missed something on the forum, ?  I see news Portraits from CMBN, ? are they already from Mords ? cos I dont find any news about it on the CMMODs, are they on the way to come on the CMMODS IV  ? 

I found  the 21 sth Army group, already helpfull, with this one is  a gain of time when you want make your own mods. 

Mord has a new CMBN portrait mod coming in the not-so-distant future; he is a perfectionist and was not happy with some of his German portraits yet.

These are a portion of Mord's new work and this mod incorporates some of his newer stuff (but not anywhere close to all of the options) plus I played around with a few of his German ones to get the necessary divisions...consider it a teaser...and I'll update when he puts out his full new version.

30 minutes ago, quakerparrot67 said:

wow-  this is nice!  my favorite part is seeing paras with maroon berets,  it  actually gave me a bit of a lift in morale, having them.  i do wonder, though, would it be possible to have a mix of 'cherry berrys' and airborne helmets on the paras?   it looks as though some of the other 'rifle' units have a mix of berets and helmets, and one beret for every 3 or five paras, the rest wearing helmets, would look more realistic, i.m.h.o.. 

also very happy to see commandos actually dressed as commandos (battledress and green berets) rather thn wearing airborne uniforms, although later in the war denisson smocks were frequently worn by -commandos in holland and germany.

once again, incredible work.  thank you for the time and effort that you and all the other modders put into this game-  it makes a big difference!

cheers,

rob 

I would have liked the hybrid option myself and would have done that if I could have.

Unfortunately, the work-around to get berets to show is an all-or-nothing proposition.  If the Airborne units had 2 different helmets (like the infantry with the mkII and mkIII helmets, I could have done it).

8 minutes ago, Darknight (DC) said:

I would have liked the hybrid option myself and would have done that if I could have.

Unfortunately, the work-around to get berets to show is an all-or-nothing proposition.  If the Airborne units had 2 different helmets (like the infantry with the mkII and mkIII helmets, I could have done it).

ahhh...i get it. well, glad to have the berets, then, lol.

cheers,

rob

• 4 weeks later...

Lol, I took a small break to play some games....

I have the research completed (mostly), and lots of examples but CMFI is a more complex beast than CMBN.

I could work on tagging all the scenarios fairly quickly but I don't have the as many of the mods completed for a comprehensive mod...

Maybe I'll work on smaller chunks (for my own sanity).  🙃

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 6:02 PM, alnigor said:

Darknight thanx a lot. It is fantastic mod and compilation!

But can't find two good campaign here. Could you make also your versions for Assault On Lucherberg and  The Outlaws

The Outlaws was included among the campaigns.

Assault on Lucherberg wasn't included because it is outside the CMBN timeframe (Dec 1944) and would be better modelled in CMFB (which I might actually pick up one day if the Commownwealth ever makes an appearance 😑).

• 10 months later...

Thank you very much for all the work done!

But I have a little problem. I understood what to do with companies – everything works for me. But I can’t figure out how to deal with scenarios. I threw all scenarios into the corresponding folder, but starting the game they are not displayed for me and I cannot select any of them. What am I doing wrong? Can you please write detailed instructions?

Best regards from the Russian community!

@Kaverin У меня давно работает все ок. Конечно не все сценарии проверял - но те что играл все без проблем. Я просто копировал с заменой все файлы сценариев в папку \Game Files\Scenarios. Ну и понятно, что если нет какого-то модуля необходимого для сценария - его и не запустишь.