UI Not Found error when trying to launch after new install

Hello, I was trying to install the game again after a very long time (9 years) after buying the Normandy game.  It seemed to install correctly but it gives an error window that says UI not found. Please check  that you have the proper UI resource files.  Anyone seen that or know how to fix it?

You need at least the 2.0 Upgrade for Windows 10. The copy-protection system that is in CMBN 1.x does not support Windows 10 and will give you the 'UI not found' error.

Do you have any of the Upgrades or just the 1.x version ? If you haven't purchased any upgrades, then you may want to purchase the CMBN 3.0 + 4.0 Upgrade Bundle for US$15.00. This would get you the latest version of CMBN and allow you to install with the all-in-one 4.0 Upgrade installer that is fully patched. You would just need to activate the 3.0 and 4.0 Upgrade license key(s) and it should be ready to go (the 1.x license key shouldn't be necessary, other than for Commonwealth bundles).

13 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

You need at least the 2.0 Upgrade for Windows 10. The copy-protection system that is in CMBN 1.x does not support Windows 10 and will give you the 'UI not found' error.

Do you have any of the Upgrades or just the 1.x version ? If you haven't purchased any upgrades, then you may want to purchase the CMBN 3.0 + 4.0 Upgrade Bundle for US$15.00. This would get you the latest version of CMBN and allow you to install with the all-in-one 4.0 Upgrade installer that is fully patched. You would just need to activate the 3.0 and 4.0 Upgrade license key(s) and it should be ready to go (the 1.x license key shouldn't be necessary, other than for Commonwealth bundles).

Excellent!  Thank you sir.  I wound up downloading 3 and 4 seperatly. 3 worked fine and i played a quick game, then i installed 4 it stopped on the load screen and it says i need to use the new product key utility which I cannot find!

• 4 weeks later...

Just yesterday I went through similar hassles while installing all of CMBN (everything but BP) on my brand new Win 10 machine. First did it the hard way, redownloading all files and patches from my BFC account and went through all the installing, patching and activation procedures which took me half a day. So I got a full working and activated 3.12 version finally, residing in desired program files folder. Then last step, trying to put 4.02 on top of it. When it got finished I found I have a seperate fully working and activated 4.02 install in documents folder. Hahaha... stupid me. :lol::rolleyes:

So what could have been done in less than an hour, it took me half the day. Yet have a question left. Now I have one unwanted install in programs folder and the desired (4.02) in documents. Can I somehow shift 4.02 over to programs and delete the 3.12 install? I´m still a complete noob on Win10 and don´t want to f..k up my install and activations.

Fortunately installing CMFB was the desired one step affair and went smoothly.

It´s now a joy to get all the biggest maps loaded and that in 1-3 minutes only. Frame rates are not too bad either. B)

My new machine´s still anything but up to date, but should suffice for the next years to come I guess.

Ryzen 5 1600x (4 cores)
Nvidia GTX 1660 (6 GB)
16 GB Ram
1 TB HD (SATA)
Win10 Pro

Now the path is free for purchasing CMRT (next month) and anything that follows thereafter (CMRT F&R, CMFB module basically).

I'm not certain about copying over the 4.02 installation to the 3.12 installation and having it work. I believe the license activations should remain in effect 'computer-wide', so the file location shouldn't affect the activation to my knowledge. The issue to watch out for would be copying all of the necessary files to their correct destinations in the 3.12 installation. There are some .BRZ data files that will need to be copied over and I'm uncertain if you have to copy over (write over) the scenarios and campaigns from the 4.02 install to the 3.12 install. I assume you'll need to copy over the preferences file and any customized hotkey settings.

The CMBN 4.0 Upgrade download should have had everything in it that you would have needed (including the 4.02 patch). You could download this and run the installer and you should be good to go (no need to reactivate any license keys as far as I'm aware).

4 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

I'm not certain about copying over the 4.02 installation to the 3.12 installation and having it work. I believe the license activations should remain in effect 'computer-wide', so the file location shouldn't affect the activation to my knowledge. The issue to watch out for would be copying all of the necessary files to their correct destinations in the 3.12 installation. There are some .BRZ data files that will need to be copied over and I'm uncertain if you have to copy over (write over) the scenarios and campaigns from the 4.02 install to the 3.12 install. I assume you'll need to copy over the preferences file and any customized hotkey settings.

The CMBN 4.0 Upgrade download should have had everything in it that you would have needed (including the 4.02 patch). You could download this and run the installer and you should be good to go (no need to reactivate any license keys as far as I'm aware).

thanks, i´ll try copying over at later time then. no hurry ATM. I´m now  leaving 3.12 just for reference and some comparing (evade behavior and other). Yes, 4.0 is all inclusive. I just figured out too late. :lol:

• 1 year later...

I don't know if the 1.08 patch addresses this issue or not.

On the patches page that lists the games it mentions that the latest patch is available from Matrix Games (who now distributes the Strategic Command series). However I can't find any info in the Matrix forums about applying any of the SC: WW1 patches to the Battlefront version (the Matrix and Battlefront versions will install to different directories too). Applying a Matrix Games patch would likely result in a dialog box that will request a Matrix license key and the Battlefront one won't work to my knowledge.

If the 1.08 patch does NOT get the game running under Windows 10, you may want to contact the Battlefront Helpdesk (click the blue '+ new ticket' button in the upper right and login with your Battlefront Store account, if you remember it). They MIGHT have you run an utility to delete your current activation and with the 1.08 patch run the game again and see if it offers to be activated again and possibly works.

If that doesn't work, then you may want to contact Matrix Games technical support (click on the 'Contact Support >' text link in the 'Help & Support' section). You'll want to explain that you have the Battlefront version of Strategic Command WWI and you would like to know about applying the Matrix Games patch. I don't know if this may involve a discounted purchase or if the patch will work with the Battlefront installation and simply over-write it, etc. (and potentially NOT require a Matrix license key or some generic key for Battlefront purchasers). Hopefully they can direct you to a solution.

Hi, Thanks a lot for your help. The patch solved the problem, but now it is worse.

I have an USB error when I start windows. And the patch does not appear to uninstall it.
Also, the game is not working fine. In window is ok, but at full screen i have DirecX error.

I think that this patch add some software usb emulator to simulate the registry and it is not working with Windows 10.

Ant the windows 10 is very sloooow now for all. I can't move icons on desktop for example. It have very great lag.

How can i uninstall this patch?

Regards
Luis

Edited by camaleon

4 minutes ago, camaleon said:

Hi,

I have uninstalled the game, but the problem persists.

This problem is causing lag in the rest of usb devices.

usb-error.jpg

How can i remove this last patch? I don't see it in windows remove programs.

Regards

Luis

Clean everything and start from scratch. Download from the BF Website you have some downloads left. 

Hi,

When i installed the patch, it said me that i never need insert the key more. And it is true.

I have reinstalled all, and the window for licensing didn't start. I was waiting for a uninstall but no.

I have a uSB error in the windows administrator screen, but:

- If i uninstalled the driver, in the windows start it install again

- If i disbled the driver, the error and the problems persist.

I d0n't see in the MSConfig or Windows Start that is installing the driver again, but It is clear for me that the patch installed something that persist in my PC.

Regards
Luis

Was this the 1.08 patch from the Battlefront site or did you download it from somewhere else or possibly use something from Matrix ? I'm not specifically aware that the patch installs any sort of USB driver/emulator. The Battlefront game patches typically do NOT have an uninstaller for the patch. You usually have to uninstall and reinstall the whole game to go back a version (or occasionally install an older patch if only the game executable is getting replaced in the patch - a solution that probably will not apply here to this issue).

If you go to the search bar/icon on the Windows desktop and type in 'Control Panel', this should bring up the Control Panels. Go to the 'Device Manager' control panel and see if there are any devices that have an exclamation point or some other warning about the device's status. I assume that you might see something under the 'Mice and other pointing devices'  and/or 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' sections. Double-click on any device that is coming up with a warning (you can also right-click on the listed device and select 'Properties' from the popup menu to do the same thing). On the 'General' tab, under the 'Device Status' section, what error code is being given for the device ? What specific USB device (or devices) is giving the error ?

Do you have an unique mouse or some other USB device that requires a driver that is not supplied by Windows 10 itself ?

The DirectX error you might be seeing I believe is unfortunate, but expected. I think some of the UI DLLs for the game have issues with Windows 10 and going to a 'windowed mode' was the only solution.

I'll have to experiment with an install and see if I duplicate any similar issues.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help.

Yes, the patch is the 1.08 from Battlefront.

I installed the patch, uninstalled the game and the problem persisted.
i restarted the computer several times, unplugged and plugged again all USB devices and nothing.

I then installed the game and patch again and when I turned on the PC this afternoon the problem was gone. 
I'm not sure if that was what fixed the problem or it was something else I did, but so far it hasn't happened again.

I am very grateful to you for the great help you have given me, chuckdyke and Schrullenhaft.
And for the interest you have shown in helping me with this old game.

Thanks to all again.

About the problem with the DirectX and window mode, i can live with it, thanks 😀

Regards
Luis