Reference colors for Panzer paint

58 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

One of my CoC colleagues posted this, and it's so juicy I thought I should post it here for those doing skins. 

https://resourcesformodellers.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/ww2-german-armour-paints-and-camouflage-colours/?fbclid=IwAR1YjclT_gMuGg8R-EGnI2ISZ9sb6OKW1DkUAa0_32m1Gy1J3GM45io2gNg

Regards,

John Kettler

Always the touch of infos, with colours codes is more easy to find it , thanks you John !

3j2m7,

Happy to help, and I have some nagging thought that someone else went so far as to figure out what the exact Pantone numbers were for the various RAL numbers. These are printing industry standard designations. Something I can't resolve in this OP, though, is how you hold a true color standard given how much color variation you'll see on different model TV sets.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2020 at 7:14 PM, John Kettler said:

3j2m7,

Happy to help, and I have some nagging thought that someone else went so far as to figure out what the exact Pantone numbers were for the various RAL numbers. These are printing industry standard designations. Something I can't resolve in this OP, though, is how you hold a true color standard given how much color variation you'll see on different model TV sets.

Regards,

John Kettler

Hi John

We had this conversation already a few years ago: Due to technical reasons almost anything goes, as far as colours are concerned.

An example: In the „Saumur PzIV“ thread, Sgt Squarehead confirmed that German tanks were delivered with a few cans of paint, to be applied with site means. Needless to say, the colour comes out quite differently, if you dilute with clean water or dirty water or petroleum or something else. Or if you paint with a brush instead of spray. Or if the base metal is properly prepared or not...

BTW, that is, why the Saumur Pz IV comes out so nice and bright.

Edited by StieliAlpha

• 2 weeks later...

Just to clarify.....In the case of the Panzer IVs we were discussing, these left the factory in a coat of plain dunkelgelb, with the two camouflage colours provided as paste, dilutable with water, petrol etc.

This is not a hard and fast rule, some vehicles, notably Hetzers left the factory with complex paint schemes.....Having said that, some Hetzers too were delivered in plain dunkelgelp, presumably with camo paints for unit application.

On 5/4/2020 at 7:36 PM, Falaise said:

for those interested, I sent a public message to squarehead for its scale models
photos of a panzer IV hatch
For your information Squarehead which has given no news since April 15 .....🤨

http://community.battlefront.com/profile/55371-sgtsquarehead/

I've added your images to my collection of 'first hand' colour references.....The tricky part for modelling is that perceived color varies with scale.  If I were to paint one of my 1/72 models in real dunkelgelb, it would look muddy brown in a photograph.  The colour has to be lightened about 40% to compensate for the diminuative size of the subject.

FWIW

15 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

....The tricky part for modelling is that perceived color varies with scale.  If I were to paint one of my 1/72 models in real dunkelgelb, it would look muddy brown in a photograph.  The colour has to be lightened about 40% to compensate for the diminuative size of the subject.

Interesting point (and underlines my favourite talking point that a model is a model).

Indeed, I used to paint or spray my 1/72 models with paint „as it comes from the Revell or Tamiya cans“ and add some dirt and grime over it. My brother still does the same in 1/35 and, of course, the general appearance comes out quite differently.

For 1/72 dunkelgelb, try mixing the basic colour 60/40 with Tamiya's 'Buff'.

If you are airbrushing there are a ton of tricks you can use to make even a plain monotone colour interesting, check this out:

49952750616_4481cba931_b.jpg

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235074548-meng-mark-a-whippet/&tab=comments#comment-3714502

Highly recommend checking out more of Andy's posts on Britmodeller.....He's a genuine master modeller, yet he is happy to explain each and every technique in great detail, truly a gentleman & a scholar IMHO.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead