FAUDA and THE INDIAN DETECTIVE

If you have Netflix...

I highly recommend an Israeli show called FAUDA (I think sburke turned me onto this - sorry if that was someone else) – a very hard, dark gritty counterterrorism series (Israel vs Palestinians) in which it’s hard to figure out who the bad guys are.  But, great writing, characters and acting.  FAUDA is sophisticated in that the morality and ethics of both side are "flexible" and it's often hard to tell the good from the bad guys(!)  Remember how the spaghetti westerns like Sergio Leone's THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY revolutionized the western and essentially killed off the traditional Hollywood western?  To me FAUDA does the same thing to the Hollywood "counter-terrorism" genre.  After FAUDA the Hollywood TV series seem silly, trite, formulaic and very unrealistic (and unwatchable).

BLACK CROWS is also v good.  Basically it’s an anti-ISIS propaganda TV series supposedly created in Saudi Arabia, but mysteriously has very good Hollywood values and the director and crew have no credits one can check.  Hmmm…  Also, sometimes I wonder if it’s intentionally funny or what…

For comedy I stumbled on “The Indian Detective” which I thought very funny.  Felt foolish when I found out that the lead (a Canadian-Indian chap called Russell Peters) is an internationally famous stand-up comedian who I had never heard of.  I mean… Russell has performed all over the world to sold out 20,000+ seat auditoriums in NY, LA as well as Las Vegas famous.  Much of his audience seems to be immigrants and minorities and he ruthlessly makes fun of them, and they LOVE him as his routines apparently are so accurate and really hit home.  As a child of immigrant parents I agreed with his audience member who are interviewed...  Russell has amazingly funny insights and observations when he described them and how they behaved towards their kids.  He is waaay funnier than (say) Seinfeld who used to be my favorite.  I found three documentaries on Netflix about Russell - a couple of which are tapes of his shows - brilliant.

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

If you have Netflix...

I highly recommend an Israeli show called FAUDA (I think sburke turned me onto this - sorry if that was someone else) –  

+1  You're welcome.  :D  It is a very good show.  We finished the last season (season#3).  Now have to wait for #4 to be made.   

26 minutes ago, mjkerner said:

Fauda is exceptional.  On a side note, if you like cartel action, try Zero-Zero-Zero, Narcos, and Narcos: Mexico series. Oh, and of course Ozark.

IMO opinion Fauda may be the best Netflix series I've seen.  Off hand I can't think of a better one. 

We saw Narcos & Ozark which are good shows.  Maybe Narcos: Mexican series is something different?  I'll have to look into that.  I'll also look into triple zero.  

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

BLACK CROWS is also v good.  Basically it’s an anti-ISIS propaganda TV series supposedly created in Saudi Arabia, but mysteriously has very good Hollywood values and the director and crew have no credits one can check.  Hmmm…  Also, sometimes I wonder if it’s intentionally funny or what…

We saw the first episode of Black Crows.  Not really getting into it so far.  Will probably try to watch a few more episodes to give it a chance.  

I see a LOT of Narcos and Narcos-like series on Netflix (your local "drug dealers' favorite network" presumably...) . Will check that out.  Could not get into Ozark... although another friend also recommended it.  May give it another shot and will look at Zero-Zero-Zero.

FWIW: Have been very impressed with the shows from the Benelux countries as well as Scandinavia, Germany and Iceland(!), as well as Middle East.

Notable thrillers (some very dark if you are into that genre) in no particular order:  Money Heist (very brilliant series from Spain); Marseille; Bodyguard; The Forest; Black Spot; Bordertown; Borderliner; High Seas; Altered Carbon; Dark; Hitler A Career (threw that in just to see if you are paying attention lol); The Break; Paranoid… and a ton more I can’t even remember. 

Good Movies include: Train to Busan; Death of Stalin; The Silence of the March; Remember; Photographer of Mauthausen; Unorthodox...

I was a bit reluctant at first with Fauda but after reading some reviews I started to watch it few days ago and I m enjoying it so much.

Another good thing you can find in Netflix,and related to  WWII, it's the documentary called Five came back,about the history of five American film directors(John Ford, William Wyler, John Houston, Frank Capra, and George Stevens) who were recruited by US goverment to film its troops in  different fronts.I really loved it.John Ford was wounded in Midway and Wyler was temporaly deaf by the terrible noise from a B-25 bomber engines.There are comments from directors like Steven Spielberg,Francis F .Coppola and Guillermo del Toro. Highly recommended.

Edited by arpella72

1 hour ago, arpella72 said:

the documentary called Five came back,about the history of five American film directors

Yes...  I concur... it's an excellent and very interesting doc esp if one is interested in Hwd movie-making.