GIGANTIC SURPRISE!!! 12 YEAR MYSTERY SOLVED!

Mord

Been ruminating on this possibility since RtV was announced. Been thinking about it hard since it was released. After I finished up the FI portraits it really started eating at me. So, I asked sburke to send me some RtV files the other day to do some testing. I actually gave up once and was gonna write him and tell him what I had been doing and that it had failed but I decided to try again. Still didn't get there and stopped. Figured I give it one more shot and all of a sudden....12 years of wishing is finally fixed. Not perfect but the best we've had since SF1 was released.

@Zveroboy1 You've got some updating to do.

@mjkerner yeah, you. something for you to try.

@Sequoia it's finally happened.

I give you the Muj for SF2!

NOTE: They need to be modded. They aren't gonna be perfect. This was just a test to see if it could work. I need a better mask to get rid of the chin strap (anybody have one?). I just wanted to show you guys because I have wanted something like this since 2008 and I know some of you have too.

Pvyvum7.jpg

FX0nhwn.jpg

Gotta use you imagination and visualize what could be accomplished. These will by far be the best models we've had. Imagine colored head wraps, different colored beards, vests, etc. A lot can be done!

Mord.

Edited by Mord

1 hour ago, Mord said:

Been ruminating on this possibility since RtV was announced. Been thinking about it hard since it was released. After I finished up the FI portraits it really started eating at me. So, I asked sburke to send me some RtV files the other day to do some testing. I actually gave up once and was gonna write him and tell him what I had been doing and that it had failed but I decided to try again. Still didn't get there and stopped. Figured I give it one more shot and all of a sudden....12 years of wishing is finally fixed. Not perfect but the best we've had since SF1 was released.

@Zveroboy1 You've got some updating to do.

@mjkerner yeah, you. something for you to try.

@Sequoia it's finally happened.

NOTE: They need to be modded. They aren't gonna be perfect. This was just a test to see if it could work. I need a better mask to get rid of the chin strap (anybody have one?). I just wanted to show you guys because I have wanted something like this since 2008 and I know some of you have too.

Pvyvum7.jpg

FX0nhwn.jpg

Gotta use you imagination and visualize what could be accomplished. These will by far be the best models we've had. Imagine colored head wraps, different colored beards, vests, etc. A lot can be done!

Mord.

Nice! 

2 hours ago, Mord said:

+1.  Very cool.  The Mord makes a breakthrough in modding!!  :D

I think (not sure) to tag somebody the name has to be in that funky looking blue.  So just in case I'll tag them again so they don't miss it.  

@Zveroboy1 , @mjkerner  & @Sequoia check out the very first post of this thread. 

If I just tagged you for the second time my apologies. 

Yeah, I mentioned the chinstrap in the notes of the first post. I figured out the mask was using the wrong color (worked in RT and older mods). Fixed it with all black bmp.

Here's a quick, dirty look at changing the colors of the beard and head wrap to give you an idea of where it could go with a more talented modder than me.

HS2i710.jpg

NOTE: There appears to be a spot on the left shoulder where the textures don't line up due to the Indian skeletons being different than the Syrians.

All the files you need are here, basically a template to get some Muj modding started.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/emgkclcrs6euxa3/Muj_Template_Files.zip/file

Mord.

Edited by Mord

6 hours ago, mjkerner said:

I thought with the introduction of CMSF2 (or was it v4.0?) models/skeletons couldn’t be swapped like we used to with and between Normandy and FI/GL, etc. I haven’t even tried!

Models work out ok, it's the hex edits that can't be done. The side effect of this mod is that I had to use the Syrian Reserves which means all the helmets for Mech/Militia/Republican Guard/Airborne (Special Forces are stay normal) will get warped into the shape of the head wrap; so no civil war or Muj vs Afghan Nationals scenarios (unless they are coalition mods). I personally don't care as all I wanted was decent looking Muj vs US/Brits etc. but it might be a problem for others. Reserves (Muj) mixed with Zveroboy1's modded Combatants will be a decent enough representation I'd imagine. It's better than we had, anyway. I provided the files now it's up to whomever to see what can be done with 'em.

Mord.

13 hours ago, Mord said:

...Indian skeletons being different than the Syrians

This popped out at me.  Does this mean that CM takes into account physical differences/body sizes between nationalities?

Great mod btw.  Agreed the beard looks so strange that the figure could stand in for a CIA guy with fake beard.  :)

It has to do with the way the different models are shaped and their stances, I'd imagine . Also if they changed the height they'd need to write LOS code for the variation, hence why we don't have varied heights among units.

Mord.

I think that's one of the impediments of CM ever producing a Vietnam war title. Animations are tied to a common skeleton so there's no scaling up or down the figures. Rough guesstimate, I think the CM soldiers are about 6 foot tall which means they're on the lanky side for typical WWII combatants. I recall my dad once commenting that its a myth that Japanese soldiers were smaller than US soldiers. Dad was about... 5 foot 8? About 4 inches under CM soldier-size.

• 3 weeks later...