CMBN won't start

lsailer

Hi, guys.  As title says, CMBN won't start.  I sent a message to support, so this message is just overkill, but as you all know, sometimes the Netmind is the way to go.

A few details

It worked before, about two months ago.

Fresh reboot, OSX 10.11.6.  CMBN starts and fails in a few seconds.  Messages on console are

4/25/20 12:12:20.583 PM CMBN[761]: initAppMonitor >>
4/25/20 12:12:20.585 PM CMBN[761]: getHomeDirectory ==> [/Users/lee]
4/25/20 12:12:20.585 PM CMBN[761]: getTempDirectory ==> [/var/folders/c7/gky87rrx01s29kb33df6q3500000gr/T/]

The T/j directory didn't exist.  I created it rwx to me. Same failure messages.

Save me, Obiwan Battlefront, you're my only hope.

lee

What version of CMBN are you running ? Is this a purchased version or the Demo ? Is the same user logged in that installed CMBN ?

Is the 'getTempDirectory' the last command you see in the Console before CMBN fails ? How does CMBN fail, does the icon simply bounce in the Dock and then disappear (or remain bouncing) ? Or does it issue some sort of error message ? The temp directory's name and contents can vary, but there is usually a 'T' subdirectory at the end of that path, which may not get populated with files until the rest of CMBN actually loads (a bit later in the loading process).

Running the 3.12 CMBN Demo on OS 10.11.6, the next event listed in the Console is a 'Gestalt selector' error, which apparently is a limitation of that particular service (used for OS/service identification/enumeration). After that the 'CarbonCore' loads up and then 'libdispatch.dylib' loads a couple of times and then a couple of more loadings of CarbonCore (this may be specific to the way that the Demo loads compared to the purchased version). A 'Qt' library loads and then the CMBN app actually loads (and seems to initialize again).

You shouldn't need to make ANY SORT OF CHANGE to the /var/folders directories. Clear them out by rebooting (not 'Sleep', but actually restarting or shutting down and then booting up) your Mac. You should NOT need to make any changes to permissions on folders in here or 'hand create' folders in here.

You can run the 'Disk Utility' in the Applications/Utilities folder. This can repair some system permission issues (if there are any here in this situation), though I don't suspect that may be the issue here.

In the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab > 'Allow apps downloaded from:' is set to 'Anywhere', correct ?

On 4/25/2020 at 6:17 PM, Schrullenhaft said:

Thanks for your reply.  Respnses below. Also, I have a helpdesk ticket open now.

What version of CMBN are you running ? Is this a purchased version or the Demo ? Is the same user logged in that installed CMBN ?

4.02, purchased, worked fine last time I tried it which was about December.  Same user, who also has Admin privileges.

Is the 'getTempDirectory' the last command you see in the Console before CMBN fails ? How does CMBN fail, does the icon simply bounce in the Dock and then disappear (or remain bouncing) ? Or does it issue some sort of error message ? The temp directory's name and contents can vary, but there is usually a 'T' subdirectory at the end of that path, which may not get populated with files until the rest of CMBN actually loads (a bit later in the loading process).

Last thing in console.  The CM icon flutters for two or three seconds and then goes away. No message.

You shouldn't need to make ANY SORT OF CHANGE to the /var/folders directories. Clear them out by rebooting (not 'Sleep', but actually restarting or shutting down and then booting up) your Mac. You should NOT need to make any changes to permissions on folders in here or 'hand create' folders in here.

I have rebooted several times.  Also, thanks to the helpdesk I have tried Moving CM.app to desktop, and then copy/paste back to CM folder.  Still same symptoms.

You can run the 'Disk Utility' in the Applications/Utilities folder. This can repair some system permission issues (if there are any here in this situation), though I don't suspect that may be the issue here.

Me either, but I can try.  So far as I remember, there have been no OSX upgrades in the last couple of months, but maybe...

In the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab > 'Allow apps downloaded from:' is set to 'Anywhere', correct ?

It was set to the middle option, allow from Apple and Authorized Devs.  I changed it to Anywhere, same problem.