MODS gone crazy lol

Hi all, 

purchased the latest two modules for CMFI today, and have found some of the mods aren't recognised easily, and some which are are mixing between variants. pz iv for example will have tan skirts and tan&green body, or worse will have modded turret, and body will be un modded...

any ideas? i get the feeling the modders are exhausted/burnt-out/busy with life, which is absolutely fine, we owe them our thanks for what they have brought us..amazing work that improves the great game no end... and i thank them all... wish i could do what they do.. cheers.

One has to be systematic with mods.  Add one mod, or only a few at a time of one type and see if they work ok and do not conflict. 

Eg: For every title I only place vehicles in the main Z/MOD folder and then create a series of MOD subfolders: UI; SFX; TERRRAIN & WEATHER; UNIFORMS; SOUNDS etc...   Also a "Z DESIRED MODS" subfolder where I put all the new mods or the ones I want to be sure appear in the game.  The "Z" makes the game load that mod folder last.  (A mod folder with a "ZZ" prefix will load after a "Z" folder. etc.)

The only time you can have multiple versions of a modded vehicle that will display correctly is if you have something loaded like Aris's tanks where the only difference between the textures is say a number or decal (like some Sherman's have). Different camo schemes or paint colors are gonna get randomly assigned all over the tanks/afvs etc. until they code the textures to where hull 1 only displays with turret 1.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

There's regional, seasonal and muddy tag versions on the default vehicles. A vehicle mod made for another title might be missing the necessary tags. For example there's m8greyhound-wheels [mainland brazil muddy].bmp, marderii-131-hull [mainland muddy].bmp and m7uk-interior [mainland olive].bmp. To get your mod to show up properly you either need to check the date, region and ground conditions or you need to make sure all of the default art gets over-written by the mod art.

Wow... I hadn't thought it was that complicated. CMBN, CMRT seem to be just drop in and work etc. 

20 hours ago, Erwin said:

One has to be systematic with mods.  Add one mod, or only a few at a time of one type and see if they work ok and do not conflict. 

Eg: For every title I only place vehicles in the main Z/MOD folder and then create a series of MOD subfolders: UI; SFX; TERRRAIN & WEATHER; UNIFORMS; SOUNDS etc...   Also a "Z DESIRED MODS" subfolder where I put all the new mods or the ones I want to be sure appear in the game.  The "Z" makes the game load that mod folder last.  (A mod folder with a "ZZ" prefix will load after a "Z" folder. etc.)

Erwin, do you mean to say name the folders for the group's. I.e sound, terrain etc. But with a Z in front of them. ? 

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

There's regional, seasonal and muddy tag versions on the default vehicles. A vehicle mod made for another title might be missing the necessary tags. For example there's m8greyhound-wheels [mainland brazil muddy].bmp, marderii-131-hull [mainland muddy].bmp and m7uk-interior [mainland olive].bmp. To get your mod to show up properly you either need to check the date, region and ground conditions or you need to make sure all of the default art gets over-written by the mod art.

Wow..... I will try and post some screens later , I am in two minds to remove the mods for Italy maybe. Seems odd to have some mixed and clean lol 

2 minutes ago, Bubba883XL said:

Erwin, do you mean to say name the folders for the group's. I.e sound, terrain etc. But with a Z in front of them. ? 

Yes. In my Z or Mod folder I have subfolders named: "Z FX; "Z SOUNDS"; "Z TERRAIN & WEATHER"; "Z UI"; "Z UNIFORMS"; "ZZ DESIRED MODS".  (I generally leave all vehicles in the main "Z" or "MOD" folder.)

I also have a folder "ZZ MOD TAGS" for all-inclusive mods that are tagged to appear in certain scenarios or campaigns.

The more "Z's" one uses in the prefix the later the mod in that folder gets loaded so other conflicting mods in other folders should not appear.

So... I also have "ZZZ DESIRED MODS" where I put mods that I want to appear in the game no matter what (eg mods that I want to test).

There are about 300 GB of mods available for all CM2 titles.  (I know since I sent all my collection to Bootie to appear in his xnt CMMODS IV.)  If you get heavily into modding you need to have a system in place to avoid descending into insanity.  And many would say that hasn't worked for me.  :blink:

9 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

Wow... I hadn't thought it was that complicated. CMBN, CMRT seem to be just drop in and work etc.

Welcome to Italy. :)

Multiple regions and four different seasons in the one title means there are a lot of textures compared to CMBN or CMRT with their 4 month time window.

It's not even close to being as complicated as it may sound. There's no programs involved.

If you want a clean mod folder create something like this. It's simple.

I have a main folder for each Nation and style of effect in game.

1HXs5L2.jpg

Then under each I have a sub folder.

qJQSrt2.jpg

In those sub folders are the actual files extracted from the zips. (Except for vehicles, I create one more sub folder named after the vehicle)

23D8nit.jpg

As you can see in the first pic I have one Z folder where I'll put anything new that I want to check. That Z folder assures me that the new mod will overwrite/display if I already happen to have another mod using the same files. That way I can test it, see if I like it, and either add it or delete it without getting lost or confused.

As for your problem, what it sounds like is that you have two different mods for the same vehicle in your mod folder. The game will randomize the texture placement on the vehicle.

EX: Say, you have a mod and the files are listed as Sherman Hull 1, Sherman Turret 1, Sherman Hull 2, Sherman Turret 2, Sherman Hull 3, Sherman Turret 3, and each of them has a different paint scheme, well  Sherman Hull 2 might be assigned to Sherman Turret 1 giving you a mismatch.

Check the files you installed and see if there are multiple camo and plain textures for the Pz IV or whatever you are having problems with.

Mord.

Edited by Mord

4 hours ago, Mord said:

It's not even close to being as complicated as it may sound. There's no programs involved.

If you want a clean mod folder create something like this. It's simple.

I have a main folder for each Nation and style of effect in game.

1HXs5L2.jpg

Then under each I have a sub folder.

qJQSrt2.jpg

In those sub folders are the actual files extracted from the zips. (Except for vehicles, I create one more sub folder named after the vehicle)

23D8nit.jpg

As you can see in the first pic I have one Z folder where I'll put anything new that I want to check. That Z folder assures me that the new mod will overwrite/display if I already happen to have another mod using the same files. That way I can test it, see if I like it, and either add it or delete it without getting lost or confused.

As for your problem, what it sounds like is that you have two different mods for the same vehicle in your mod folder. The game will randomize the texture placement on the vehicle.

EX: Say, you have a mod and the files are listed as Sherman Hull 1, Sherman Turret 1, Sherman Hull 2, Sherman Turret 2, Sherman Hull 3, Sherman Turret 3, and each of them has a different paint scheme, well  Sherman Hull 2 might be assigned to Sherman Turret 1 giving you a mismatch.

Check the files you installed and see if there are multiple camo and plain textures for the Pz IV or whatever you are having problems with.

Mord.

Mord, you don't have Z before any of your folders? and one that is just ZZZ, whats that all about

4 minutes ago, Bubba883XL said:

Mord, you don't have Z before any of your folders? and one that is just ZZZ, whats that all about

You don't need a Z before any of your folders. I explained what the Z Z Z folder was for in my post above.

5 hours ago, Mord said:

When Combat Mission is started the game will load ANY graphics/sounds etc. that are in your mod folder to temporarily overwrite the original game files. It will always do this as long as there are files in the mods folder to use. The highest letter of the alphabet always takes precedence in the loading order. So, if you have TWO mods and they are in folders named "Panther A" and "Camo Panther A" the one titled " Camo Panther A" will always be chosen over the other because C comes after A in the alphabet.

10 minutes ago, Bubba883XL said:

odd, my mods are in the install folder, not the game file foler within my documents etc. 

What? Install folder? As in the folder you extracted the game installer to?

I set my installs to all go into a Battlefront folder in My Documents to keep them all the same (may be different for other people). Anyway your mods need to be in the MODS FOLDER regardless of where your game is installed under USER DATA. Something to this effect, CMFI/USER DATA/MODS.

Mord.

36 minutes ago, Mord said:

if you have TWO mods and they are in folders named "Panther A" and "Camo Panther A" the one titled " Camo Panther A" will always be chosen over the other because C comes after A in the alphabet.

Waaait.  B4 everyone gets confused, I think you mean that the folder called "Panther A" will be chosen cos "P" is after "C".   We label folders "Z" to make sure that is the folder chosen to overwrite all others (unless one has another folder prefixed with more "Z's").

Edited by Erwin

Yep. My fault. Duh. Was in a hurry. Pretend I wrote "Aris Panther A"  and "Camo Panther A".

I personally try to only use one z folder for testing because if you have multiples it ends up defeating the purpose. I have my base mods that I always use, as in won't be replaced until I find something I like better. I use the single z folder to test new mods and the mods I am working on. If I find a new mod I like I'll add it to the base folders. Just much simpler and you always know what you have and where (most of the time).

Mord.

• 2 months later...

I would advise rez-exploding the BRZ with the vehicles in it an seeing what's in there for art for a particular vehicle.

A hull bmp might include a version tagged [muddy] to show mud stains in muddy ground conditions. So you nee to include a [muddy] tagged version of the art too. Or if a plain vehicle shows up in Sicily there might be a camouflaged version tagged [mainland].

Its not that complicated. Just check what art is in the btrz then make sure your mod has all its bases covered for overwriting it.