Bug with upgrade? What gives?

Okay. Came back to normandy after a couple of years off. playing campaign. My troops are nice and safe at the top of a reverse slope. Letting them sit there and gain fire superiority while I circle other troops around flank.

All of a sudden - no orders given - when the enemy fires in their direction they charge the enemy machine gun. They stop about 10 yards away but most are cut down.

Wanted to see if it's the campaign so I played a smaller scenario. About 10 minutes in, my troops are safety behind concrete wall while I lay down machine gun fire from another spot and circle the back of the house. Again for no reason I hear "let's go men" and the get up and charge the enemy machine guns - two full squads cut down.

While I remember the panic problem with troops in 4.0 I never remembered this. Am I crazy or what?

John

You (relatively) new guys need to realize that you are involved in discussions and issues that us old-timers have worked to death years ago.  Many have stopped contributing as much on the forums as the discussions have become repetitive over the last decades.  Doesn't mean your comments are not valid.  It's just that most have been brought up many, many, many times for many years.  

Yes, one just works around CM's quirks...  Nothing is perfect.  Lobby for CM3 is probably the best one can do.

14 hours ago, coachjohn said:

From the lack of stuff on this board - a lot of people did

There's 194,621 posts on this forum, 342 pages of threads, hell, there's over 24,000 posts in the Mods forum. It's safe to say there's been a ton of discussion here. Just because things aren't hopping at the moment doesn't mean BN is dead. The main problem is that discussions are divided between six different games and two areas of interest (WWII and Modern) so some forums are more active at times. The really cool thing is playing is divided between six different games covering two areas of interest (WWII and Modern).

Mord.

Well...  if one knows what to expect, one has the opportunity to use one's units much more carefully.  I try to look on the positive side and think that may be a good thing as we too often control our pixeltruppen as if they were expendable robots who should carry out all our dumb orders and die to the last man if needed instead of people with fears, feeling and families that they want to get home to.

2 hours ago, coachjohn said:

Erwin so what’s the work around for this. It remember in 4.0 you had the mass panic when getting shot at or mortared 

Choose a scenario offering a lot of open terrain. Otherwise,  minimize situations in areas of a map containing natural or artificial barriers (alleys, high walls, bocage, etc..).

It's not as apparent in the other WWII titles which is the reason I've sworn off of CMBN.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning, I just entered this discussion because since I upgraded my CMBN to V4.02 I encountered the same issue : soldiers sunndenly leaving a protection to run straight under ennemy fire few meters away from initial stand point (and without orders to do so). In someway this gives to me some confidence, because that means battlefront team is surrely working on a patch. But on the other hand it is not pleasant to let the game away for times, waiting for a solution I am lucky enough to have all the others CM opus at my disposal (apparently free of this bugg).

Let'us BF team working on the solution as they are used to do.

Thanks a lot.

• 2 weeks later...