Mac Catalina 10.15.4

PhilM

Updated my Mac's OS as above today ... now BF titles no longer launch??? (Icons bounce in the dock for a while, eventually stop, but "lifeless". No error messages.)

Solutions, anyone??

I'm assuming that the BF titles don't like the system update, and think it's a new Mac? A bit tedious, if so ...

Thanks for the link, but not sure what to make of it tbh ...?

The games have worked fine with Catalina up to and including 10.15.3 ... it’s just this specific, last upgrade to .4 that seems to have caused the problem.

And the problem is with already-installed games, nothing to do with running the installer ...

Mine is updated to 10.15.4 and all titles run correctly, including the RT beta. I didn't notice any difference in behavior after updating Mac OS X. I realize that doesn't help you, however, it doesn't seem to be specifically the update that is doing it, but may be related to it, just not the main cause. 

I have two suggestions:

a) Try to open any CM title, watch it bounce, Open System Preferences, go to Privacy and Security and see if there is a message there telling you it can't open, and you can override that.  If that is not the case and there's no message like that then try b) below.

b) I would suggest picking one title and reinstalling it from the all in one installer. You shouldn't have to relicense, just rename the folder your existing one is in (add "-save" to the folder name). Then run the installer and install new. 

When you do that you will get a message along the lines of can't verify there is no malware - go to System Preferences and tell it to open anyway. Then it will verify the installer files, and you will have to answer the open question a second time. Then it should install.

When you start the game, you will probably have to do that same sequence again to tell it to run anyway.

Dave

Thanks for your input and suggestions ... I'll try them.

I'm currently playing two PBEMs, one CMSF2 and one RT; I had played recent turns fine under 10.15.3, then having done the update neither title will launch.

As nothing else has changed,  I'm struggling to see that it's NOT the update which is doing it ... but exactly how / why I cannot say.

If it is the copy protection thing, perhaps CM "sees" a bigger change in my machine than yours does, and it kicks in? This may well be rubbish of course!

Rather odd but I can't open CMFI, CMRT, and CMFS2. CMBN, CMBS and CMFB all work fine. 

Edit: Never Mind. I had another app that was causing a problem, once it was closed all worked fine. Sorry, Phil, I was hoping to help you out but I had no luck. 

However... 

if you go into \users\PhilM (or whatever your personal user folder is) at the bottom you may see some files with gobbledygook names that are just unintelligible. Those files are error logs. If you submit a ticket include those files. 

Edited by Bud Backer

2 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

Rather odd but I can't open CMFI, CMRT, and CMFS2. CMBN, CMBS and CMFB all work fine. 

Edit: Never Mind. I had another app that was causing a problem, once it was closed all worked fine. Sorry, Phil, I was hoping to help you out but I had no luck. 

However... 

if you go into \users\PhilM (or whatever your personal user folder is) at the bottom you may see some files with gobbledygook names that are just unintelligible. Those files are error logs. If you submit a ticket include those files. 

Ha! I was hoping not to be able to re-start CMSF2 to have a get-out clause from the drubbing you are currently giving me in our PBEM ... 😢

13 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Mine is updated to 10.15.4 and all titles run correctly, including the RT beta. I didn't notice any difference in behavior after updating Mac OS X. I realize that doesn't help you, however, it doesn't seem to be specifically the update that is doing it, but may be related to it, just not the main cause. 

I have two suggestions:

a) Try to open any CM title, watch it bounce, Open System Preferences, go to Privacy and Security and see if there is a message there telling you it can't open, and you can override that.  If that is not the case and there's no message like that then try b) below.

b) I would suggest picking one title and reinstalling it from the all in one installer. You shouldn't have to relicense, just rename the folder your existing one is in (add "-save" to the folder name). Then run the installer and install new. 

When you do that you will get a message along the lines of can't verify there is no malware - go to System Preferences and tell it to open anyway. Then it will verify the installer files, and you will have to answer the open question a second time. Then it should install.

When you start the game, you will probably have to do that same sequence again to tell it to run anyway.

Dave

Well, I've no idea how but RT - at least - seems to have "fixed itself" ... able to play the next turn in my battle.

I had tried again to start RT; no response, an apparently "dead" icon in the dock, shown by the OS as not responding.

Your suggestion a) gave no resulting error message ...

Left it, to ponder what to do next before trying suggestion b) ... was using the internet ... 5 (?) minutes later, the browser suddenly vanished and a full-screen (how I use it) CMRT leapt into life and took over the screen ... slightly spooky, tbh ... but anyway, it seems to work again. None of my other CM titles do, yet, but I'm going to give them the silent treatment as well and see if they delay-start also.

The game (as opposed to a specific battle) has had an almost instantaneous start up ... no idea what was happening during the approx. 5 minute pause before RT activated? And whether that's a Mac OS thing or a CMRT thing?

Anyway, I'll try the other titles and see if just leaving them alone for 5 minutes results in them starting.

If you can get in then good. 

If you can get in but suffer such a delay each time, then I think it’s time to reset the DRM. Several people who experienced significant load times found the issue resolve after doing that, but it does require the assistance of Helpdesk. Point them to this thread for added clarity. 

16 minutes ago, PhilM said:

Ha! I was hoping not to be able to re-start CMSF2 to have a get-out clause from the drubbing you are currently giving me in our PBEM ... 😢

I’m not entirely unscathed either. ;)  

1 hour ago, PhilM said:

Well, I've no idea how but RT - at least - seems to have "fixed itself" ... able to play the next turn in my battle.

I had tried again to start RT; no response, an apparently "dead" icon in the dock, shown by the OS as not responding.

Your suggestion a) gave no resulting error message ...

Left it, to ponder what to do next before trying suggestion b) ... was using the internet ... 5 (?) minutes later, the browser suddenly vanished and a full-screen (how I use it) CMRT leapt into life and took over the screen ... slightly spooky, tbh ... but anyway, it seems to work again. None of my other CM titles do, yet, but I'm going to give them the silent treatment as well and see if they delay-start also.

The game (as opposed to a specific battle) has had an almost instantaneous start up ... no idea what was happening during the approx. 5 minute pause before RT activated? And whether that's a Mac OS thing or a CMRT thing?

Anyway, I'll try the other titles and see if just leaving them alone for 5 minutes results in them starting.

Hmm.  I'm stumped. Can't think of what is (or was) happening.

Just to tidy this up, and a heads up if / when anyone else experiences the same thing ...

- did the same thing with another title (left it to sit, not responding, in the task bar whilst I did something else), same thing happened: five(ish) minutes later, bingo, up pops the splash screen!

- to save time doing it separately for each of all of the titles, and as an experiment, I tried to run (from launchpad, usual method) all of the remaining titles at the same time ... left with a set of bobbing, and then still, not responding, icons in the task bar ... after the same (roughly) interval, they all came to life at the same time as far as I could tell, and were then available to play ...????

- after those delayed starts, they all now re-start instantaneously, as previously, when opened for a second and subsequent times.

So, something consistent appears to have been happening ... but I've no idea what!

Do you use Avast by any chance? One of the beta testers just reported that Avast is just recently preventing CM from starting for several hours. Then it works.. Just a thought. I used to use it on my MacBook Pro but found it hogged my Mac down, so I don't anymore. His was W10, but I expect it would work the same for both Windows and Mac.

14 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Do you use Avast by any chance? One of the beta testers just reported that Avast is just recently preventing CM from starting for several hours. Then it works.. Just a thought. I used to use it on my MacBook Pro but found it hogged my Mac down, so I don't anymore. His was W10, but I expect it would work the same for both Windows and Mac.

No, don't / never have used it, so not that. I do have an AV running though ... but it's never had that effect on any previous OS upgrade, or any noticeable adverse interaction with CM titles.

Thanks for the continued thoughts!

On 3/31/2020 at 7:37 PM, PhilM said:

Just to tidy this up, and a heads up if / when anyone else experiences the same thing ...

- did the same thing with another title (left it to sit, not responding, in the task bar whilst I did something else), same thing happened: five(ish) minutes later, bingo, up pops the splash screen!

- to save time doing it separately for each of all of the titles, and as an experiment, I tried to run (from launchpad, usual method) all of the remaining titles at the same time ... left with a set of bobbing, and then still, not responding, icons in the task bar ... after the same (roughly) interval, they all came to life at the same time as far as I could tell, and were then available to play ...????

- after those delayed starts, they all now re-start instantaneously, as previously, when opened for a second and subsequent times.

So, something consistent appears to have been happening ... but I've no idea what!

I had the same problem, did as you suggested and after a few minutes all working again.

1 hour ago, Sgt_Grunt said:

I had the same problem, did as you suggested and after a few minutes all working again.

Glad it worked for you.

And sort of relieved that it appears not to be just me doing (or not doing) something dumb ...!!

Edited by PhilM

Just for info ...

I did today a further "minor upgrade" to Catalina, still badged 10.15.4 ... and after it, I got back the same, unresponsive icons, etc, as described above after the previous upgrade.

I'm assuming / hoping that the same remedy (wait until it sorts itself out!) as before will work again ...

Still don't know if this is a Catalina thing or a CM thing, but whatever it is, it is repeating itself?

On 4/9/2020 at 2:33 PM, PhilM said:

Just for info ...

I did today a further "minor upgrade" to Catalina, still badged 10.15.4 ... and after it, I got back the same, unresponsive icons, etc, as described above after the previous upgrade.

I'm assuming / hoping that the same remedy (wait until it sorts itself out!) as before will work again ...

Still don't know if this is a Catalina thing or a CM thing, but whatever it is, it is repeating itself?

Just to clarify ... after the issue re-appeared, as in the above post, the same treatment of simply leaving the title / icon to "sit" a while worked, they now start OK again.