Poor editing of mission briefings

I have often overlooked mission briefing editing mistakes, including grammatical errors that interrupt the flow of reading and mistakes in listings of assets available. 

However, I recently read through a mission briefing that takes the cake in terms of editing errors (there are five of them in the short briefing). The mission is R2V One Final Effort, where you fight as the Indian army. Normally, I wouldn't take the time to make a comment about this, but the author of the scenario goes out of his way in the Designer's Notes to thank someone else for "assisting with briefing review and editing". This just doesn't seem right. 

In any case, I'm sure the mission is well designed, just needed to chime in on the on-going "mission briefings could use better editing" feedback. Like, seriously. 

Here are the five errors: 

"...streaming north is what can only be described as..." [should be "in", not "is"]
"...have already been or likely to be liberated..." [should be "are likely" not "likely"]
"Using whatever transport available elements of the..." [should be "available, elements" not "available elements"]
"One Humber IV armoured car is also available to you command to assist" [should be something else (maybe "your command to assist")]
"...estimated that perhaps there are two platoons of worth of infantry." [should be "worth of infantry" not "of worth of infantry"]

Lots of designers have Anglish as a 2nd language so they should be congrachulated for what they can do.  Am less vorried about grammer and speling than about breefings that are either inaccurate, to complex and/or hard to unnerstand or omit important info dat the player needs in order to plan proper.  

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Lots of designers have Anglish as a 2nd language so they should be congrachulated for what they can do.  Am less vorried about grammer and speling than about breefings that are either inaccurate, to complex and/or hard to unnerstand or omit important info dat the player needs in order to plan proper.  

Want me to edit that for you, Erwin?

5 hours ago, Pericles said:

I have often overlooked mission briefing editing mistakes, including grammatical errors that interrupt the flow of reading and mistakes in listings of assets available. 

However, I recently read through a mission briefing that takes the cake in terms of editing errors (there are five of them in the short briefing). The mission is R2V One Final Effort, where you fight as the Indian army. Normally, I wouldn't take the time to make a comment about this, but the author of the scenario goes out of his way in the Designer's Notes to thank someone else for "assisting with briefing review and editing". This just doesn't seem right. 

In any case, I'm sure the mission is well designed, just needed to chime in on the on-going "mission briefings could use better editing" feedback. Like, seriously. 

Here are the five errors: 

"...streaming north is what can only be described as..." [should be "in", not "is"]
"...have already been or likely to be liberated..." [should be "are likely" not "likely"]
"Using whatever transport available elements of the..." [should be "available, elements" not "available elements"]
"One Humber IV armoured car is also available to you command to assist" [should be something else (maybe "your command to assist")]
"...estimated that perhaps there are two platoons of worth of infantry." [should be "worth of infantry" not "of worth of infantry"]

Sir, do not be bamboozled, sir... Since you're playing as the Indian Army, just read the briefing aloud in your best attempt at an Indian accent :)

2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Could've been though … 🙂 - cracked those German rank spellings yet mate?

Ha! Ha! Jeezo! Aye memo to self. Next time use simpler ranks!!

I’m still due you beer for the proof reading and other support you gave on that project. 
Cheery!

9 hours ago, George MC said:

Ha! Ha! Jeezo! Aye memo to self. Next time use simpler ranks!!

I’m still due you beer for the proof reading and other support you gave on that project. 
Cheery!

Pleasure was all mine George - what little value add I made to that project was nothing compared to your concept and execution in the editor.  While I hate knocking back the offer of a free pint, we're square, you helped me with research for my F&R module scenario which is coming along nicely now.

55 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Pleasure was all mine George - what little value add I made to that project was nothing compared to your concept and execution in the editor.  While I hate knocking back the offer of a free pint, we're square, you helped me with research for my F&R module scenario which is coming along nicely now.

Nice of you to say - still be pleasure to buy you a pint of by chance you fetch up in the Highlands. Might even stretch to a bag o crisps an aw! :)

On 3/9/2020 at 7:01 PM, George MC said:
On 3/9/2020 at 6:05 PM, Combatintman said:

Nice of you to say - still be pleasure to buy you a pint of by chance you fetch up in the Highlands. Might even stretch to a bag o crisps an aw! :)

casablanca.jpg?w=1100

On 3/9/2020 at 12:20 AM, Ithikial_AU said:

<-- This guy. 🙄  Yeah I'm not Shakespere. Briefings can be tweaked easy enough down the line ahead of a patch. Work on F&R needs to come first.

More importantly, did you scratch out a win in the scenario? How did you find it?

No, I committed two platoons to move up the middle forest area and had one of those platoons decimated by the Germans hiding on the other side of the forest road next to the trucks (quick moved several squads across the road a few action spaces without scout precheck). I then swiftly uninstalled the game to stop myself from falling into a more serious CM spiral. 

I will be sure to try it again when I have time. It was tricky but I only skimmed the surface. I liked the plausibility of the scenario, with the Germans in retreat trying to rest for the night and the Indians with low morale knowing the end of the war is near. 

13 minutes ago, Pericles said:

had one of those platoons decimated by the Germans hiding on the other side of the forest road next to the trucks (quick moved several squads across the road a few action spaces without scout precheck). I then swiftly uninstalled the game to stop myself from falling into a more serious CM spiral. 

:D

I think most of us know that feeling

18 minutes ago, Erwin said:

That's pretty hardcore.  But, perhaps that's how the game should automatically penalize us when we are a bad CO to make us suffer "consequences".

:o

I still suggest an edition of the game that includes a set of wires.. each casualty will result in an electric shock, and the severity will increase for each casualty taken. Let's see people try their late-game human wave attacks then.

15 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I still suggest an edition of the game that includes a set of wires.. each casualty will result in an electric shock, and the severity will increase for each casualty taken. Let's see people try their late-game human wave attacks then.

lol

2 hours ago, Pericles said:

No, I committed two platoons to move up the middle forest area and had one of those platoons decimated by the Germans hiding on the other side of the forest road next to the trucks (quick moved several squads across the road a few action spaces without scout precheck). I then swiftly uninstalled the game to stop myself from falling into a more serious CM spiral. 

I will be sure to try it again when I have time. It was tricky but I only skimmed the surface. I liked the plausibility of the scenario, with the Germans in retreat trying to rest for the night and the Indians with low morale knowing the end of the war is near. 

Many briefings are deliberately incorrect (as they may well have been in real life) - you should always take then with a pinch of salt...

2 hours ago, Freyberg said:

Many briefings are deliberately incorrect

In some ways this is fine.  But, there is a problem when one has missions which have short time periods and the designer seems to think that a player has a telepathic knowledge of where reinforcements will appear, or what they will be equipped with.  

Eg:  Was playing the potentially excellent CMFB "MIssion To Maas" and used the at start engineers to assault a town with demo charges as there were more engineers coming as reinforcements.  Well... for some reason the reinforcing engineers had no demo charges.  And I had hardly anything left of the at-start engineers.  I felt that a CO would know that.  As a result I wasn't sure if I could continue with the additional town assaults required by the mission... and quit the game...  Am hoping there will be an updated version that has a briefing which mentions this rather important fact (or make sure the reinforcing engineers do have demo charges).