BRM purpose

Hey guys,

Do the brm vehicles serve any special purpose? I know they are recon vehicles and i guess that means they come with better optics compared to their standard counterparts.However they also have radars. How do these work and do they really make any difference? So far i really haven't seen anything special in terms of their spotting ability and i've been using my brm3ks as just another autocanon platform

I could be wrong, but I don't think ground search radar is modeled.

It really wouldn't do any good in the relatively short distances involved in CMBS.

Use them like a WW2 jeep.  Mostly moving small teams into positions quick.  Then there is the 'George Patton Special'.....drive them down the road until they blow up.  Contact!

BFC is caught between a rock and a hard place on the TO&E of some forces. They're compelled to include vehicles that at typical CM ranges are of marginal utility. Not just the BRM but also PRP4M, MT-LBu 1V14, Bradley B-FIST, M1127 Recon Stryker and M1200 'Armored Knight'. In CMFI there's also M707 'Knight'. On CM maps you sort'a already know where the enemy is going to be and they sort'a already know where you are. There's not much peering clandestinely down the length of a river valley to scout out enemy positions 6km away. You're likely to get a boost in command & control response and interfacing with air power but that's just nibbling around the edges of force capability. Its not BFC's job to give you the optimal tools, its BFC's job to supply the available tools. You must work out for yourself how best to use them.

Edited by MikeyD

11 hours ago, ishfar94 said:

Hey guys,

Do the brm vehicles serve any special purpose? I know they are recon vehicles and i guess that means they come with better optics compared to their standard counterparts.However they also have radars. How do these work and do they really make any difference? So far i really haven't seen anything special in terms of their spotting ability and i've been using my brm3ks as just another autocanon platform

Real world BRM vehicles can conduct many recon missions, not only visual observation, but also defining coordinates of targets, rangefinding, detecting and rough recognizing type of enemy radar emmiting. Own doppler radar PSNR-5К allows to detect MOVING targets (in the game it mistakingly detects ALL targets) in the night or hard weather conditions. For examle the moving tank can be detected on 8-10 km, group of infantry on 5-6 km, single man on 3-4 km. Operator can use radar in echo-sound mode - than he listens reflected squeaks and by them detecting the targets, or in two indicator modes. But latter have worth accuracy - if in sound mode it is 25 m by range and 0-05 milrad by azimuth, then indicator mode gives only 50-100 m for range and 0-10 milrad by azimuth. For squeak detection and in whole for working with PSNR-5k good trained operator is needed, so in the game green and conscript crews shouldn't be able to use radar.  

So, modelled in the game PSNR-5k on BRM-1 and BRM-3k has next  problems:

- radar can detect stationery targets, but must detect moving targets only

- crews with poor training (conscript, green) can successfully use it, but shouldn't.

- radar gives exact place and type of target, but must give "?" or rough detected "armor", "infantry" targets in some area, limited by radar acuracy.

- game range of detection is significantly reduced.

Edited by Haiduk

11 hours ago, ishfar94 said:

So far i really haven't seen anything special in terms of their spotting ability and i've been using my brm3ks as just another autocanon platform

Have you done proper testing? In my experience BRMs are much better in detecting enemy armor in forward looking arcs compared to line BMPs.

They get improved spotting. Judging how much is tough, naturally, since it's hard to figure out spotting mechanics precisely, but they are better at doing so.

POS4CFS.png

The Radar is a component of the BRM, which can be degraded or destroyed. There's no other component in CM which is listed for no effect - if nothing else, that's a big clue :)

The purpose of the vehicle then is to use a combination of the radar and Constellation 2 to spot and share spotting contacts across the recon company. 

Speaking for ground surveillance radar, I use the PRP-4M, which also has it, for artillery spotting and targeting. With just fairly standard settings I am able to call down artillery very quickly with it, quicker than any other Russian spotter, so I do think they serve a functional purpose in the game. 

Edited by Bud Backer