Just a thought-Combat Mission is so authentic and immersive we nickpick any blemish?

On 2/23/2020 at 3:42 AM, luigim said:

For me, an engine update with more performance in big maps ( and bigger than the current) with a lot of units and objects in CMx3 would be sufficient to enlarge the scale of the simulation

Larger maps and more units? 

I love playing Battalion level games as much as the next guy, but Company (plus) level, this game's sweet spot, is where the game really shines... the large games take a long time to setup, a long time to complete a turn, and can be excruciating to suffer through.  Eventually you get to a point where the game loses its appeal, to me anyway.

The only way that would work is if they also implement a Command Level orders system and SOPs (ala Command Ops)... but then that would make it a completely different game.  Be careful what you ask for.

Bil

SOPs by themselves would go a long way - especially if their effects could filter up the chain of command.

An SOP system by itself would be an incredible leap for CM in terms of realism and playability. Imagine having a pre-plotted course for an AT team that is triggered after they fire. Rather than having a precious Panzerschreck team stand around after firing a rocket for the rest of the turn they immediately pack up and use a cover route to safety.

40 minutes ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

Larger maps and more units? 

I love playing Battalion level games as much as the next guy, but Company (plus) level, this game's sweet spot, is where the game really shines... the large games take a long time to setup, a long time to complete a turn, and can be excruciating to suffer through.  Eventually you get to a point where the game loses its appeal, to me anyway. 

Heresy

I have to say I'm also a Battalion scale guy, with some qualms about the CM UI and would be Brigade scale, given some major changes.

This could mean anything from being able to assign follow orders and still placing waypoints so a single vehicle drives down a road, but all others follow, to a way to automatically draw move orders along a road, to telling units to move and ticking a box so they take roads when appropriate.

Having a "semi-automatic" system, halfway to graviteam would do a lot of good. Having the option like Graviteam or Command Ops to give orders to a HQ and for all of their subordinates to execute would reduce player workload at those larger scales. I like the granular control compared to Graviteam, I just don't need it at all times. I'd like to order a battalion to move to contact with a few clicks, but still manage a team during the firefight if it comes down to it.

Quality of life changes and more TAC AI improvements could go a long way. I believe infantry on long distance move orders already drift towards columns and seem roughly to follow roads and  paths along the route.

I do enjoy Battalion level scraps more than smaller scenarios... my best and fondest H2H gaming memories in CMx2 are for scenarios like "Hot Mustard", "The Forest of the Wild Beasts", "Studienka", "Les Grandes Bonfaits", "The Sheriff of Oosterbek", "Men with Curious Hats", "Counterattack at Son". As @Bil Hardenberger they were hard work, involved sending back and forth literally thousands of files, and I would have loved to have some degree of automation.. but it was rewarding enough that I can recite the scenario titles from memory :)