Interesting video; Villers-Bocage I believe

Forgive me if this has been posted before.

Villers-Bocage Vidéo on YouTube

A couple of questions;

1. In the beginning, the couple of impacts around the British artillery piece. I think that’s indirect fire; thoughts?

2. Towards the end, the scene with the knocked out Tiger I in an urban setting. That hole in the back of the turret; is that an armor penetration? And what probably made that big a hole?

1. It does look strange: My guess is that it is mortar rounds - but the artillerymen seem strangely relaxed about it.

2:
No idea about the hole. But there seem to be three tank wrecks: Two tigers - and one where only the bottom "tub" is left (could it be a Cromwell?).

Edited by umlaut

I found this to be a rather interesting video (same series). The parts I would like to point out are 6:06 where you see a British tank crew posing inside their tank for the video camera. And then in unison they all duck back into their tank (artillery?). Then the very next scene is a British trooper holding a STG-44 and looking at it like it’s a ufo.

YouTube

This video is mostly non-combat but there is an abandoned Panzer Mk 4 that appears several times. I like that all the scenes in each video of this series are shot in close proximity in terms of time so you can sort of determine the story.

So for the crowd, I am guessing Panzer Mk IVJ, what do you think?

YouTube

25 minutes ago, civdiv said:

I found this to be a rather interesting video (same series). The parts I would like to point out are 6:06 where you see a British tank crew posing inside their tank for the video camera. And then in unison they all duck back into their tank (artillery?). Then the very next scene is a British trooper holding a STG-44 and looking at it like it’s a ufo.

YouTube

Wonder why they dated the recordings as 1940? It is surely not. I´d say 1945 in Germany.

Umlaut, I don’t know how to quote but obviously the date is wrong.

i find this video fascinating. I assume it is very recent to post-D-day. But it shows the construction of a fighter airfield and then a convoy of supplies to the beachhead and the offloading. This is why the allies won WW2; because they could do stuff like this.

YouTube

Shame that we don't have the original commentary from British Pathe. As for the German tanks they were all knocked out on the day by tanks and an AT gun from 7th Armoured. Just to make sure that they couldn't be recovered if the Limeys had to withdraw they were set alight with petrol soaked rags. Over the next few days there were hit again by both fighter bombers whose pilots didn't know that they had been knocked out, as well as in the heavy bomber raid on the town.

Interesting scene in this video at 7:15 where a US soldier preps and uses a captured Panzerfaust 60 on a knocked out (is that a Panther, it looks weird?).

There is also this delightful scene at like 9:15 where they find an ice cream maker and using a Jeep they make ice cream for the troops.

British Pathé Video

Edited by civdiv

4 hours ago, civdiv said:

Interesting scene in this video at 7:15 where a US soldier preps and uses a captured Panzerfaust 60 on a knocked out (is that a Panther, it looks weird?).

There is also this delightful scene at like 9:15 where they find an ice cream maker and using a Jeep they make ice cream for the troops.

British Pathé Video

King Tiger  by the looks?