Looking for good second hand bookshop in New York

Guys, I'm looking for a book, which seems to be extremely rare and very hard to find for a decent price. My wife happens to go to New York next week and she's willing to have a look for this book (The Kravchenko Case by Gary Kern). Can any of you recommend a good second hand bookshop in the centre of New York where this book might be found?

Edited by Aragorn2002

15 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

Aragorn, I'm assuming you've already tried bookfinder.com ?

I did, Sequoia, but the prices are insane. I hope my dear wife will be able to find a copy in a dark and dusty second hand bookshop for a reasonable price, but I doubt it. But thanks for the suggestion.

30 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Yes, it is. My joking directions to the Staten Island Ferry Terminal were a reference to the OP being from The Netherlands.

Your jokes are too complicated for me sometimes. 😉 I took it as a suggestion to go and drown myself. I apologize for overreacting. 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:49 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

Guys, I'm looking for a book, which seems to be extremely rare and very hard to find for a decent price. My wife happens to go to New York next week and she's willing to have a look for this book (The Kravchenko Case by Gary Kern). Can any of you recommend a good second hand bookshop in the centre of New York where this book might be found?

The best bookstore in NYC (new and used) is The Strand.  Your wife should check it out just because it's great.

Lots of independent used bookstores list and sell their wares through Amazon.  I see some absurdly priced ($900??) copies there, but also one for $60. 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:49 AM, Aragorn2002 said:

It seems to be available here:  https://www.biggerbooks.com/kravchenko-case-kern-gary/bk/9781929631735&referrer=bbcj for $27.16

...and here:  https://www.ecampus.com/kravchenko-case-kern-gary/bk/9781929631735 for $27.72

I haven't vetted either of those places.

Good luck, Bil

I'd be careful of generic universal "campus bookstore" sites.

My sense is that they don't actually keep inventory but take your money to then try to order the book from another supplier.  That's fine for textbooks and contemporary fiction/history/etc, but it's not going to work for out-of-print rarities.

I found it on ecampus.com for $27.72.

I am not familiar with this website, but it accepts paypal, so I am thinking they must be legit. Might just be for students, not sure. Maybe your wife can ask somebody to order it for her from this site.

Also found the book at biggerbooks.com for $27.00. Not familiar with this site either.

The book is also available used on Amazon.com for $60.00 - hefty price tag for a used book, but still cheaper than most other places.

Edited by BluecherForward
additional info

10 hours ago, Holman said:

The best bookstore in NYC (new and used) is The Strand.  Your wife should check it out just because it's great.

Lots of independent used bookstores list and sell their wares through Amazon.  I see some absurdly priced ($900??) copies there, but also one for $60. 

Thanks Holman, I will tell my wife about The Strand. Problem with ordering books at Amazon US is the sometimes absurd customs, which can make the book a LOT more expensive. I once had such a nasty surprise.

10 hours ago, Bil Hardenberger said:

It seems to be available here:  https://www.biggerbooks.com/kravchenko-case-kern-gary/bk/9781929631735&referrer=bbcj for $27.16

...and here:  https://www.ecampus.com/kravchenko-case-kern-gary/bk/9781929631735 for $27.72

I haven't vetted either of those places.

Good luck, Bil

Thanks, Bil. Will point my wife to this as well. Hopefully it can be delivered in time to her hotel, since whe will be travelling back (Thank God, beginning to dislike Pizzas!) at the end of this week.

6 hours ago, Holman said:

My sense is that they don't actually keep inventory but take your money to then try to order the book from another supplier.  That's fine for textbooks and contemporary fiction/history/etc, but it's not going to work for out-of-print rarities.

Definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks.

4 hours ago, BluecherForward said:

I found it on ecampus.com for $27.72.

I am not familiar with this website, but it accepts paypal, so I am thinking they must be legit. Might just be for students, not sure. Maybe your wife can ask somebody to order it for her from this site.

Also found the book at biggerbooks.com for $27.00. Not familiar with this site either.

The book is also available used on Amazon.com for $60.00 - hefty price tag for a used book, but still cheaper than most other places.

Thanks, Blücher. Yeah, Paypal is very safe and very efficient when it comes to untrustworthy sellers.  I've just checked Amazon, but the seller doesn't ship to Europe. Apart from that the shipment costs plus the risk of high customs would prevent me from buying it via Amazon.

17 minutes ago, BluecherForward said:

I was thinking that someone in New York might be willing to order the book for her and she could pick it up and bring it back with her.

Well, as it turns out we've found a similair solution.  Looks like I will get my book.

Thanks for helping, Blücher, much appreciated. Same for Bill and Holman. Thanks again, guys!

Edited by Aragorn2002

23 minutes ago, BluecherForward said:

Ende Gut, alles gut. Happy reading Aragorn2002! Have you heard of the book - Traitors Among Us? Fascinating true story of uncovering of spy ring in U.S. Army in Germany during the Cold War.

Noted and on my 'to buy'-list, Blücher. Thanks.

Sequoia, between 1972 and 1988 according to the description on Amazon.

2 hours ago, Sequoia said:

BluecherF. What period of the Cold War?

Here's the summary from the entry on the Amazon website - FYI:

As director of the elite Foreign Counterintelligence Activity, author Stuart Herrington was the U.S. Army's top counterintelligence officer. In this thrilling and informative account he details one of the most damaging and delicate cases of espionage ever committed against the United States. Between 1972 and 1988, thousands of highly classified documents were sold to the Soviet Union and her Warsaw pact surrogates. They were secrets so sensitive that had war broken out in Central Europe, our ability to defend our NATO allies would have been seriously compromised. It was up to Herrington and his team to root out the elusive spy ring responsible for this treachery. An intriguing page-turner with more twists and turns than a spy novel, Traitors Among Us guides us through the intricate spy catcher's world of Cold War Berlin, showing us how the "game" was played when the stakes were as high as national survival.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:57 PM, Holman said:

Funny, I went to the Strand just a few weeks ago when I went to NYC for the first time.

Yeah it's definitely worth checking out. It's a great place and very big. Multiple floors along with a whole floor for rare books. I could spend a whole day in there. I loaded up on books even though it made my luggage much heavier for the trip back. I found one book there for less than $10 when the only copy I could find online was a $40 one on Amazon.

14 hours ago, Bozowans said:

Funny, I went to the Strand just a few weeks ago when I went to NYC for the first time.

Yeah it's definitely worth checking out. It's a great place and very big. Multiple floors along with a whole floor for rare books. I could spend a whole day in there. I loaded up on books even though it made my luggage much heavier for the trip back. I found one book there for less than $10 when the only copy I could find online was a $40 one on Amazon.

Must have been a sweet moment. Opportunities like that are getting more and more rare thanks to internet. 

On 2/12/2020 at 3:29 AM, Holman said:

If something seems to good to be true...

You are right, Holman, they've cancelled the order. Ah, well, it was worth the try.