The newest joy out of the Middle Kingdom...the Flu

So it looks like we have a gift from China this winter, namely a new virus. I pretty much spent the weekend reading everything I could. I followed the previous scare mongering with Ebola and SARS and the rest but this seems different. While the numbers aren't impressive China's reaction to it is sure something. Any one out there concerned?

Well... China's medical services leave something to be desired.  When I was there I was told that sick people would  not automatically be treated and could be left to die outside hospitals and folks would just walk over them.  So, something that may not be too serious in the west could lead to pandemic in China. 

One has to remember that once one leaves the incredibly privileged but very thin "economic development zones" on the coast and ventures inland a few hundred miles, one steps back a thousand years into a 3rd world country.  

Exactly.  The Chinese hold life a lot cheaper than in the west.  It's like an extreme version of the wealth disparity we have in the west.  Life in China is great if you are wealthy (and "in" with the party), but, for the other 99% of the population...

Dude, the disease affects roughly 0.000326% of the Chinese population and people are calling it a pandemic.....It's utter bollocks, just like SARS, Sharia dominated no go zones, The Steele Dossier, chemical attacks on Douma, The Deal Of The Century and a host of other BS that the MSM keep ramming down our throats in the hope that while we are choking on it, we won't notice that their lords & masters are robbing us blind.  :rolleyes:

Apologies if this is too political, but really.....FFS!  :wacko:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I don't disagree with you, just pointing out that Chinese medicine is only good for the wealthy.  (At least in the US if you are indigent you will get medical treatment, not be left in the gutter to die.)   The Chinese authorities really don't care much for ordinary individuals.  Adding in the total lack of respect for privacy or independent thought is why a world dominated by the Chinese "way of life" is something to be very concerned about and resisted.

Yikes dude.

One the one hand yeah not may people have died so lets keep a perspective for sure. More people die from the garden variety flu every year. Heck we are still below the world wide deaths from measles this year (I think I didn't look the numbers up but even if I'm wrong it will be close). But come on new viruses that are deadly are kinda scary. And given China's past track record of actively lying and covering up cases of previous diseases we should be paying attention. Just not hysterical.

The coverage on the CBC Radio and Pod casts has been excellent - not over the top and talking to actual disease experts and public health officials so good information and no overly dramatic stuff.

We should all stop watching the 24 hour drama headline stations and pick programs that spend the time actually look at information and bring in people who have experienced previous outbreaks and are actually in the business of managing public health.

On 1/29/2020 at 12:33 PM, IanL said:

Yikes dude.

One the one hand yeah not may people have died so lets keep a perspective for sure. More people die from the garden variety flu every year. Heck we are still below the world wide deaths from measles this year (I think I didn't look the numbers up but even if I'm wrong it will be close). But come on new viruses that are deadly are kinda scary. And given China's past track record of actively lying and covering up cases of previous diseases we should be paying attention. Just not hysterical.

The coverage on the CBC Radio and Pod casts has been excellent - not over the top and talking to actual disease experts and public health officials so good information and no overly dramatic stuff.

We should all stop watching the 24 hour drama headline stations and pick programs that spend the time actually look at information and bring in people who have experienced previous outbreaks and are actually in the business of managing public health.

The coverage by CBC has been utter subjective garbage. They lost all objectivity and are extremely insidious in their broadcasts to a level rivaled by Pravda. Fortunately not everyone is as gullible as CBC thinks. People started avoiding China town in Toronto when this happened. The CBC reported this as "racism", yes CBC redefined that term. I think its ignorant if people avoid Chinese restaurants during the Corona hype, but it is not racist. Very irresponsible reporting.

11 hours ago, nik mond said:

The coverage by CBC has been utter subjective garbage. They lost all objectivity and are extremely insidious in their broadcasts to a level rivaled by Pravda. Fortunately not everyone is as gullible as CBC thinks. People started avoiding China town in Toronto when this happened. The CBC reported this as "racism", yes CBC redefined that term. I think its ignorant if people avoid Chinese restaurants during the Corona hype, but it is not racist. Very irresponsible reporting.

Yeah I don't think so.

Have you looked at the definition of racism? Not shopping in China town because you are afraid of being contaminated by something that is not present in any population in Toronto just because the look of the skin colour of the people in that area matches the skin colour of the people who are suffering with the outbreak of this virus sounds like a match to the definition to me.