Purchase Option: Download + Manual

Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first Combat Mission title (CMBS or CMSF2) and was hoping someone could explain the contents of the Download + Manual option costing $68 dollars..  Specifically, are there PDF manuals specific to Combat Mission Black Sea and Combat Mission Game Engine included with this purchase option?  Excerpt from the Combat Mission Black Sea web page "This product is downloadable with the option to purchase a platform specific DVD and/or a general Combat Mission Game Engine Manual. Except for special promotions we do not offer game specific manuals, so if you already have a current Game Engine Manual you're all set! "

Is the $8 manual specific to Combat Mission Black Sea?  Also, what is the downloadable format?

TIA

The download only option has the game plus all manuals as PDFs. You don’t need anything further unless you want a physical

• Paper manual - “download plus Manual”
  • disk (PC or Mac not both) - “download plus disk”
  • Each of the above bullets - “download plus manual plus (PC or Mac) disk”

I also recommend backing up the downloaded file, as well as the licence key. 

All the Current CM games share the same engine, covered in the Game Engine manual. They ALSO have unique manuals for each game in addition, as those manuals cover the non-common elements - eg: CMBS will have stats on Ukrainian units, CMSF2 won’t, but it will have stats on German units.

From the text you quoted it sounds like the extra $8 gets you the engine manual in printed form, that is already in PDF in the downloaded installer. So only buy it if you’re adamant about having a paper copy. 

Edited by Bud Backer
Ugh...typos

10 hours ago, Bud Backer said:

The download only option has the game plus all manuals as PDFs. You don’t need anything further unless you want a physical

• Paper manual - “download plus Manual”
  • disk (PC or Mac not both) - “download plus disk”
  • Each of the above bullets - “download plus manual plus (PC or Mac) disk”

I also recommend backing up the downloaded file, as well as the licence key. 

All the Current CM games share the same engine, covered in the a Game a Engine manual. They ALSO have unique manuals for each game in addition, as those manuals cover the non-common elements - eg: CMBS will have stats on Ukrainian units, CMSF2 won’t, but it will have stats on German units.

From the text you quoted it sounds like the extra $8 gets you the engine manual in printed form, that is already in PDF in the downloaded installer. So only buy it if you’re adamant about having a paper copy. 

Understood!

Thanks for the explanation.

I am looking for post WW2 content and I have started following the Shock Force 2 and Black Sea forums.  I want to purchase both but will probably start with SF2.  SF2 has an amazing amount of content before starting to discuss mods!  Once comfortable with SF2 I may purchase CMBS.  The option for Real Time Turn Based for minimizing micromanagement and TacAI is something I am looking forward since I mostly play single player (campaign, skirmish, etc.)

Thanks,

That seems like a very sensible plan.....CM:BS is currently very limited scope compared to CM:SF2, but the lethality's been turned up to 11!  B)

PS - Don't forget CM:A.....It's old and it's a bit quirky, but it's also a full game at a very cheap price and it has a fourteen year timeframe!  :o

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That seems like a very sensible plan.....CM:BS is currently very limited scope compared to CM:SF2, but the lethality's been turned up to 11!  B)

PS - Don't forget CM:A.....It's old and it's a bit quirky, but it's also a full game at a very cheap price and it has a fourteen year timeframe!  :o

CM:BS' modern setting and lethality vs CM:SF2's content backlog makes the decision difficult.  I will checkout CM:A on YouTube.

Thanks for the recommendation.