Infantry Riding Tanks

2 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Another advantage of tank riding is the increase of the number of mk I eyeballs on an AFV. Helpful in detecting ambushes, which became more common with HEAT launchers and defensive posture.

Of course that could rapidly become a disadvantage, if the guys with the HEAT launchers are paying more attention than the guys on the tank.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2020 at 1:34 AM, MOS:96B2P said:

+1   A CM title that includes both Western forces and the Soviets would fantastic IMO.  My hope is that the last release for CMFB will be an equipment pack introducing Soviet forces/equipment into CMFB.  Call it meeting on the Elbe River or something.  Then the US, Commonwealth and Soviets would all be in the same Combat Mission game.   No BFC created scenarios would be needed.  Just an equipment pack of already designed equipment ported over from CMRT.  Scenario designers and mod creators could do all kinds of cold war, neo-colonialism stuff.  Patton goes east 1945, Fulda Gap 1948, Korea, Suez Crisis, etc.    Just put them in the same game.  

Would be an instant buy for me.

• 2 years later...
36 minutes ago, Col Deadmarsh said:

Why is it allowed in CMFB but not CMBN when it's the same war and theater? 

Tank riding was a feature that was not added until Red Thunder.  The effort was Probably made to add it to CMRT because Soviet tank riding was such a big part of the war on the Eastern Front.  CMFB came out after CMRT with fewer vehicles than CMBN had at that point.  I think it would be a lot of work to go back and create all the artwork, animations and coding for every troop type and vehicle type in CMBN and/or CMFI.  That would be a huge effort at this point.  I wish CMBN & CMFI had riders but it would be a massive amount of work.  The amount of time/expense/work probably plays a role in why riders have not been added.  

Edited by MOS:96B2P

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Tank riding was a feature that was not added until Red Thunder.  The effort was Probably made to add it to CMRT because Soviet tank riding was such a big part of the war on the Eastern Front.  CMFB came out after CMRT with fewer vehicles than CMBN had at that point.  I think it would be a lot of work to go back and create all the artwork, animations and coding for every troop type and vehicle type in CMBN and/or CMFI.  That would be a huge effort at this point.  I wish CMBN & CMFI had riders but it would be a massive amount of work.  The amount of time/expense/work probably plays a role in why riders have not been added.  

that is exactly why it was ruled out.  All the vehicles would need work.  Animations may be able to be ported over but the vehicles need hotspots etc.

On 2/17/2020 at 2:20 PM, Aquila-SmartWargames said:

My hope is that the last release for CMFB will be an equipment pack introducing Soviet forces/equipment into CMFB.  Call it meeting on the Elbe River or something. 

I mentioned this, Soviet soldiers in CMFB, a few years ago and was told that FB is about the last years of the Western front and won't have Soviet troops as those are in Red Thunder.

But hopefully the next FB module will at least have Czechoslovakia in it as the US army went there too.

• 2 weeks later...

A quote from Normandy - Gold Beach, describing the move of A Squadron 4/7 Dragoon Guards with the 7 Green Howards off the beach towards Crepon and Creully. "As they advanced with 1st and 3rd troops leading, and the  infantry riding on the backs  of 2nd and 4th Troops behind ..." This was while in action at about 08:30 on D-Day.

On 3/24/2022 at 6:01 PM, WimO said:

A quote from Normandy - Gold Beach, describing the move of A Squadron 4/7 Dragoon Guards with the 7 Green Howards off the beach towards Crepon and Creully. "As they advanced with 1st and 3rd troops leading, and the  infantry riding on the backs  of 2nd and 4th Troops behind ..." This was while in action at about 08:30 on D-Day.

Sadly, the only pictures I can find of the move towards Crepon show the Howards on foot. This is the earliest example of tank riding I can find from Normandy. A Crommers from 7th Armoured on Gold Beach.   ... 

cromwell 7th arm.jpg