Infantry Riding Tanks

FWIW, I don't think there are are any cases of Allied infantry riding tanks within shooting range (i.e. on the CM battlefield) in the Normandy or Italian theaters.

Pictures of soldiers on tanks are usually troops hitching a ride along a road far from the fighting.

4 minutes ago, Holman said:

FWIW, I don't think there are are any cases of Allied infantry riding tanks within shooting range (i.e. on the CM battlefield) in the Normandy or Italian theaters.

Pictures of soldiers on tanks are usually troops hitching a ride along a road far from the fighting.

You are probably right. Come to think of it, don't think I would have gone for it myself.

Close hedgerow terrain where the enemy may be one field over is not exactly conducive to clambering onto the back of a tank and riding around. Tank-mounted infantry wasn't close to being warfighting doctrine in Normandy. War's end after we've already crossed the Rhine, that's another matter. By war's end some units were welding grab rails and step ladders to their Shermans to assist troops in mounting-up.

29 minutes ago, BluecherForward said:

Really looking forward to Fire and Rubble for CMRT. Any idea what's on the burner for CMFB?

Steve from Battlefront posted the below: 

CM Final Blitzkrieg Module will take the Western Front from the Rein to the Elbe.

I hope this might include things like Kriegsmarine, Commonwealth and Pershing tanks. :D

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Just now, MOS:96B2P said:

Steve from Battlefront posted the below: 

CM Final Blitzkrieg Module will take the Western Front from the Rein to the Elbe.

I hope this might include things like Waffen SS, Luftwaffe   FD, Luftwaffe FJ, Kriegsmarine, Commonwealth and Pershing tanks. :D

It would be nice to have the meeting at Torgau with the Soviets - just for fun!

Just now, BluecherForward said:

It would be nice to have the meeting at Torgau with the Soviets - just for fun!

I didn't edit my post quick enough :D.... we already have SS & Luftwaffe in CMFB.  I'm currently in the CMRT editor and am thinking about RT stuff. 

+1   A CM title that includes both Western forces and the Soviets would fantastic IMO.  My hope is that the last release for CMFB will be an equipment pack introducing Soviet forces/equipment into CMFB.  Call it meeting on the Elbe River or something.  Then the US, Commonwealth and Soviets would all be in the same Combat Mission game.   No BFC created scenarios would be needed.  Just an equipment pack of already designed equipment ported over from CMRT.  Scenario designers and mod creators could do all kinds of cold war, neo-colonialism stuff.  Patton goes east 1945, Fulda Gap 1948, Korea, Suez Crisis, etc.    Just put them in the same game.  

You will learn more about these games through the editor than from reading any number of threads.....Certainly don't be afraid of it, there's literally nothing you can break so long as you remember to rename anything you save (and even if you do overwrite something, someone here will have a copy of the file you messed up, so you already have 'Cloud Support').

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 1/12/2020 at 1:25 AM, MikeyD said:

Close hedgerow terrain where the enemy may be one field over is not exactly conducive to clambering onto the back of a tank and riding around. Tank-mounted infantry wasn't close to being warfighting doctrine in Normandy. War's end after we've already crossed the Rhine, that's another matter. By war's end some units were welding grab rails and step ladders to their Shermans to assist troops in mounting-up.

It was during the Battle of Normandy and in particular during Operation Cobra that the Americans successfully applied the tactic of getting on the tanks.

Here is an excerpt from "Busting the Bocage" of Michael Dale Doubler

20011307075763398.jpg

Cobra seems like a special case of "Allied Blitzkrieg."  The whole point was to exploit air and artillery power to smash a fairly thin line and win great gains in terms of mileage.

I might be wrong, but I still have the sense that Russian tank-riding was commonly used in tactical assaults while Allied tank-riding was used for operational mobility.