The Year Ahead Bone Post

32 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

The long and short of it is that it's new delay. Don't beat around the bush, guys. We all understand it's money, fair enough, but don't pretend that it's anything else than new delay.

First line of my first post on the subject:

Since I'm here, a little update on where things are at with Fire & Rubble.  Slightly delayed is the short answer.

I'm really scratching my head here as to how you can interpret a direct statement that there's some delay as beating around the bush. 

Look, I get it.  You're not happy.  But don't go making stuff up to make yourself even less happy.  What Elvis posted is true... the British MOD work is not having much negative effect on Fire & Rubble's progress because the people doing the heavy lifting on it are not involved in the MOD stuff.  Does that mean absolutely no delay because of MOD?  Clearly I said there is.  No bush being beat about.

Steve

So the British Ministry of Defense is subsidizing me playing w my toy soliders & tanks?  And all I have to do for this is wait a little longer for the new release?  I am considering this a win for all of us CM gamers.  So maybe I'll not throw temper tantrums and wet  my pants over not getting my toy immediately.

24 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

UUmmm,....That is unfair and insulting, mate. Neither of us are beating around the bush. I created an entire thread to let people know there is a delay and why. I'm not sure how that is beating around the bush. It's the opposite if you ask me. What I'm doing is trying to give folks an accurate, detailed and candid update on progress. As in "there has been a delay...this is what the delay entails...this is what the delay doesn't entail". This isn't the first time that I'm left thinking that perhaps less information is better.

No more follow up screenshots for you like that T34-85 I put up for you. 🙂 

Correct me if I'm wrong. This 'special project' has taken away assets that would otherwise have been devoted to getting the module to us. Your words. This has been going on for a month and will continue in the coming month. For me that's disappointing news, but okay.

Edited by Aragorn2002

5 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

First line of my first post on the subject:

I'm really scratching my head here as to how you can interpret a direct statement that there's some delay as beating around the bush. 

Look, I get it.  You're not happy.  But don't go making stuff up to make yourself even less happy.  What Elvis posted is true... the British MOD work is not having much negative effect on Fire & Rubble's progress because the people doing the heavy lifting on it are not involved in the MOD stuff.  Does that mean absolutely no delay because of MOD?  Clearly I said there is.  No bush being beat about.

Steve

Okay, okay.

6 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

So the British Ministry of Defense is subsidizing me playing w my toy soliders & tanks?  And all I have to do for this is wait a little longer for the new release?  I am considering this a win for all of us CM gamers.  So maybe I'll not throw temper tantrums and wet  my pants over not getting my toy immediately.

How mature of you.

Not exactly a good ambassador for the Netherlands, is he. :rolleyes:

The BIG PICTURE for you guys is BFC remains solvent and prospering sufficiently to keep putting out the products they want to put out. In the '80s the struggling Harley Davidson landed a contract to cast artillery shell bodies for the Pentagon, which allowed the company to remain alive for another 40 years. BFC is getting business. That's a good thing. They're not about to go the way of Brøderbund and THQ.

7 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Not exactly a good ambassador for the Netherlands, is he. :rolleyes:

The BIG PICTURE for you guys is BFC remains solvent and prospering sufficiently to keep putting out the products they want to put out. In the '80s the struggling Harley Davidson landed a contract to cast artillery shell bodies for the Pentagon, which allowed the company to remain alive for another 40 years. BFC is getting business. That's a good thing. They're not about to go the way of Brøderbund and THQ.

Delay is never a good thing, especially not after 6 years of waiting. Big picture my foot. If you want to stop me from speaking my mind, you can ban me. NEW DELAY.

Edited by Aragorn2002

6 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

6 years of waiting. 

It has been a long wait.  I'm impatient myself and have a scenario on hold for this release.  I imagine for players who are East Front fanatics the wait must be especially frustrating.  I think it sounds like we are getting very close.  Also sounds like we might be getting additional vehicles out of the additional wait ......... Was it a schimwagen (however that is spelled) that they were teasing?  Just a bit longer and we can all finally be happy on the EAST FRONT!!  :D

PS - If you want to kill some time I have an (independent) CMRT scenario that is in Beta testing.................. :ph34r:      

22 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Delay is never a good thing, especially not after 6 years of waiting. Big picture my foot. If you want to stop me from speaking my mind, you can ban me. NEW DELAY.

Egads.  By that definition people have been waiting for 20 years for Space Lobsters of Doom!  So if you want to view the world that way, get in line behind those who came before you.

We only officially announced Fire and Rubble a few months ago so you haven't been waiting for 6 years for this Module any more than someone else who has been waiting for some other product we had not officially started.  Sure, you've been waiting 6 years since CMRT came out for more content, so what's the big deal of a couple more months?  At least we're working on it now, which wasn't true for the first 5 years of your wait.

As stated, March for Fire and Rubble is not happening.  Resource shifting happens constantly when one is working on more than a single project. We shifted away from Rome to Victory to complete Shock Force 2 because it made sense to do it that way.  Stuff happens... adapt or perish.  We prefer adapting.

Steve

9 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

It has been a long wait.  I'm impatient myself and have a scenario on hold for this release.  I imagine for players who are East Front fanatics the wait must be especially frustrating.  I think it sounds like we are getting very close.  Also sounds like we might be getting additional vehicles out of the additional wait ......... Was it a schimwagen (however that is spelled) that they were teasing?  Just a bit longer and we can all finally be happy on the EAST FRONT!!  :D

PS - If you want to kill some time I have an (independent) CMRT scenario that is in Beta testing.................. :ph34r:      

You are right of course. It's not even that I'm impatient or bored. I'm just annoyed that this module seems to be treated like a sideshow. Anyway, you are a gentleman, it's for people like you that I care for this forum at all. 🙂

27 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

We only officially announced Fire and Rubble a few months ago so you haven't been waiting for 6 years for this Module any more than someone else who has been waiting for some other product we had not officially started.  Sure, you've been waiting 6 years since CMRT came out for more content, so what's the big deal of a couple more months?  At least we're working on it now, which wasn't true for the first 5 years of your wait.

As stated, March for Fire and Rubble is not happening.  

Steve

In those six years we had quite a few deadlines for this module that weren't kept. Waiting for a couple more months is no big deal, hell, we can wait for a couple more years if we have to. Beggars can't be chosers, but don't ask me to welcome such news. Apart from that I didn't for a moment expect this module in March. Knowing you guys we may consider ourselves lucky when we can start to download in September.😀

Edited by Aragorn2002

22 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

IIRC that crazy CMBN CD was purchased by a customer on the streets of one of the "Stans" (Kazakhstan IIRC).  It is so endearing :)

Steve

You aren't fooling us Steve; we know that's from the CMBN Space Lobsters of Doom module.

What we don't know is why the British MoD is worried about space lobsters. 

Edited by Andrew H.

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

As a long-time Combat Mission junky, I was extremely proud, a while back, when BF were producing training tools for the NZDF - it says something great about the game and it might help to save people's lives.

It doesn't worry me one jot that it might cause a delay in game delivery - it just makes what we're playing cooler...

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

In those six years we had quite a few deadlines for this module that weren't kept.

We can't fail to keep something we never made.  The only specific timeframe we've made for this Module is "winter 2020", which isn't a deadline per se because we don't ever set deadlines.   Especially for products we haven't even started working on, which is the case for Fire and Rubble for 5 of the past 6 years.

Steve

28 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

We can't fail to keep something we never made.  The only specific timeframe we've made for this Module is "winter 2020", which isn't a deadline per se because we don't ever set deadlines.   Especially for products we haven't even started working on, which is the case for Fire and Rubble for 5 of the past 6 years.

Steve

Excellent. So everything is on schedule and this module is only announced some months ago, so what am I complaining about. Keep up the good work.

7 minutes ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Excellent. So everything is on schedule and this module is only announced some months ago, so what am I complaining about. Keep up the good work.

For once we agree!  I don't have any idea what you're complaining about ;)  Though seriously, it isn't on schedule.  Nothing ever is with us, in case you haven't noticed.  That's just the way things work.

We've said this since before CMBO started... if it were up to us we'd not ever give release timeframes because we really have no idea, and often no control, over when something is truly finished and ready for release.  We never pretend we do.  In fact, I'd prefer not telling anybody what we're working on at all.  That way we'd never set expectations and never disappoint.  For some reason I don't think that would go down to well here! 

6 minutes ago, Sequoia said:

That we're going to get Schwimmwagens made up for any delay for me. I can't believe Kolenklau hasn't commented yet. I bet he'll wet himself (pun intended) . Will Seeps be next?

He must be on vacation or has lost his internet connection.  Lucky bugger either way.

Steve

3 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

....people have been waiting for 20 years for Space Lobsters of Doom! 

Waaaait..  You mean Space Lobsters of Doom has been delayed again!!   So how much delayed is CM: Zombie Apocalypse???!!!   If we cancel the silly Foolda Gap idea maybe some more worthy title can be moved up.

:blink: