CMBN Setup Prob w/W10

After several years away from the game, I went to install CMBN from the original disc on a new Windows 10 computer.

Never got to the licensing as the game wouldn't open.

Reference made to "proper UI resource files".

Research indicated that the problem was with W10 and that it could be resolved through application of Patch 3.11.

Downloaded the patch, but the patch won't install.

Program is asking for me to insert the correct disc?

BTW. CMRT is running on the computer without issue.

Thoughts?

l.jpg

Edited by Prince of Eckmühl
added screenshot

The version of the copy-protection system used with the CMBN 1.x series is NOT compatible with Windows 10. If you ONLY have the CMBN 1.x series, then the last patch is 1.11 (still incompatible with Windows 10). At a minimum you will need either the 2.0 or 3.0 Upgrade to get the game to activate under Windows 10. The 3.11 patch can only be used if you have the game upgraded with the 3.0 Upgrade.

The base CMBN game and the Commonwealth module were initially available as 1.x series. I believe the Market-Garden module pushed the game to require the 2.0 Upgrade (there were 'bundles' of Market-Garden and the 2.0 Upgrade). So installing that module (if you have it) along with the PRE-REQUISITE 2.0 Upgrade MIGHT allow you to activate the base game and modules. If not, then the 3.0 Upgrade will be necessary.

Schrullenhaft, thank you very much for responding. I have both the original CMBN + CW Forces on discs. However, I didn't have any luck updating the installation with the patches available on the BF website. It likewise didn't appear that any installation that I performed, patched or otherwise, would run on W10. Each attempt yielded the result that I cited at the top of the thread. Another roadblock appears to be the inability to license anything associated with CMBN that I do install. There's simply no way to get there. I should note that I've been away from CMBN for a while, and hadn't kept up with all this. Is this a matter of my needing to buy something, an updated CMBN perhaps?

Edited by Prince of Eckmühl
misspelt werd

Do you have anything of CMBN BEYOND the base game and the Commonwealth module ? You will need, at minimum, the 2.0 Upgrade (which was necessary for the Market-Garden module). However there is a possibility that you might even need the 3.0 Upgrade in order to activate the license keys with Windows 10.

Windows 10 is incompatible with the version of the copy protection system that originally came out with CMBN. Thus all of the 1.x versions of CMBN can't work with Windows 10. The license keys are still good, but you will need at least the 2.0 Upgrade and possibly even the 3.0 Upgrade. If you only have the base game and Commonwealth modules, then you can purchase the CMBN 3 + 4 Upgrade bundle for US$15.00. This will allow you to use any 4.x patches. In fact the installer for this should have EVERYTHING for CMBN. However to activate this content you would need the appropriate license keys. In this case you would have the CMBN base game, the Commonwealth module (though a bundle of those two would likely have only one license key, but that should be fine), and the 3+4 bundle license key (or keys). While you would have the files for Market-Garden, Battle Pack and Vehicle Pack, you would need the license keys to activate that content.

So purchase the CMBN 3+4 Upgrade bundle and with that download the 'all-in-one' installer. Install CMBN with this file (no other installers needed). Then activate the CMBN, Commonwealth and 3+4 bundle license keys (which should require the 'Activate Modules' shortcut you've read about earlier).

15 hours ago, Schrullenhaft said:

Do you have anything of CMBN BEYOND the base game and the Commonwealth module ? You will need, at minimum, the 2.0 Upgrade (which was necessary for the Market-Garden module). However there is a possibility that you might even need the 3.0 Upgrade in order to activate the license keys with Windows 10.

Windows 10 is incompatible with the version of the copy protection system that originally came out with CMBN. Thus all of the 1.x versions of CMBN can't work with Windows 10. The license keys are still good, but you will need at least the 2.0 Upgrade and possibly even the 3.0 Upgrade. If you only have the base game and Commonwealth modules, then you can purchase the CMBN 3 + 4 Upgrade bundle for US$15.00. This will allow you to use any 4.x patches. In fact the installer for this should have EVERYTHING for CMBN. However to activate this content you would need the appropriate license keys. In this case you would have the CMBN base game, the Commonwealth module (though a bundle of those two would likely have only one license key, but that should be fine), and the 3+4 bundle license key (or keys). While you would have the files for Market-Garden, Battle Pack and Vehicle Pack, you would need the license keys to activate that content.

So purchase the CMBN 3+4 Upgrade bundle and with that download the 'all-in-one' installer. Install CMBN with this file (no other installers needed). Then activate the CMBN, Commonwealth and 3+4 bundle license keys (which should require the 'Activate Modules' shortcut you've read about earlier).

Thank you, as I think that I get it now.

Shame that the game as shipped isn't viable on W10, but the cost to purchase the upgrade is minimal.

I'll pursue what's been suggested as my holiday duties subside.

I think that I see a happy-ending on the horizon.

Thanks again,

PoE

I understand your point of view, and it’s not peculiar reasoning. The positive out of this situation however is that the upgrades recommended are inexpensive AND will vastly improve the quality of play-experience. Hopefully that is adequate consolation you’re getting something of value out of it all, especially if you’re hoping to play PBEM games. :)

Edited by Bud Backer