Thinking of upgrading computer

How much of an improvement would I see from going from a Dell XPS 8700 I7 4770 4 core 3.4 GHZ with 16 Gig of ram and NVIDIA GTX 645 graphics card upgrading to a Dell XPS 8930 4.6 GHZ 6 core with 32 Gig ram and NVIDIA GeForce GTX graphics card?

The games currently run great with the exception of the very large scenarios which take a while to load and seem very slow when scrolling to different parts of the battlefield.

Would it be worth the upgrade?

Edited by Commanderski

For the loading, an SSD may help (which you don't mention if that is part of the upgrade). However drive loading times are only a part of what is happening when a scenario/map loads. The additional cores on the CPU will not make a difference to the CM games (for most things), however there are a few things that are coded up in CM where multi-cores are utilized, with scenario loading being one of them. The effect may be pretty marginal though (i.e. - you may only notice a slight improvement).

The speed up from 3.4GHz to 4.6GHz (I assume that this is actually the 'turbo' speed of the new CPU) should provide a noticeable difference, along with the slight improvements that have been made between the CPU generations. The CM series is primarily CPU-bound, so faster CPU cores make the biggest differences (including for graphics, to a certain extent). This Userbenchmark between an i7 9700K and an i7 4770 gives approximately a 35% improvement in single-core benchmarks with the i7 9700K, which would give you a very rough idea of how much faster it might be for CM (though probably a little less so).

The extra memory won't make a difference to CM directly, but could help things when you have other programs loaded up, etc. The CMX2 series supports a max of 4GB of RAM since they're 32-bit applications (under Windows, 64-bit under MacOS).

The videocard will probably only make a slight difference, but it MIGHT make map scrolling just a little faster (assuming it is a GTX 1050 or better). Very large/complex maps are still likely to stutter, but the improvement may be noticeable with even these maps.

Edited by Schrullenhaft