0xc0000142 Error

jgorski52

Has anyone else tried to start CM: Afghanistan in Windows 10 and received the message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)"?

I have tried many fixes and nothing seems to work. I have the same issue with CMBB.

All the other CM games (BN, FI, RT, SF2, BS, FB) work fine. 

I have also posted this in the CM1 forum.

Is your copy of CMBB an eLicense version ? If so, then eLicense could be the common link since CMA also utilizes eLicense for copy-protection. eLicense should work fine for Windows 10. Personally I've recently reinstalled my CM apps on a Windows 10 computer (version 1909) and the eLicense games have so far worked without issue. All of the newer CM games you list that are functioning do NOT use eLicense, but the current copy-protection system in use since CMBN.

In the past one possible workaround (though it didn't necessarily involve the 0xc0000142 error code) was to set exceptions to DEP (Data Execution Prevention - a security feature of Windows since Windows XP). However Windows 10 doesn't seem to have 'exceptions' to this security feature. Instead you have to either enable it or disable it. In my case it there wasn't a need to change this setting (it is enabled), but possibly changing MIGHT help. To do so, go to Start Menu > Settings (gear icon) > System > About > near the top is a section labelled 'Your PC is monitored and protected'; at the bottom of this section is the link 'See details in Windows Security'. In the left menu click 'App & browser control' > at the bottom of this panel click on 'Exploit and protection settings'. In the 'Data Execution Prevention (DEP)' settings change it FROM 'Use default (On)' TO 'Off by default'. This will probably require rebooting the computer to have this take effect. You can try the games again and see if the same error pops up or not.

Are you running these games on a laptop or a desktop ? If you're running them on a laptop, do you have 'discrete graphics' that may be a Radeon or GeForce (beyond the built-in Intel video) ? If so, then you may need to go into the control panels for those discrete graphics and possibly set a 'profile' for those games. Typically this should force the game to run on the discrete graphics chip rather than the Intel video.

If you have security software installed, you may need to set exceptions for CMA and CMBB, to also include the 'Runservice.exe' file in the Windows directory. This is the eLicense service that needs to be running in order for the games to work. If this file is moved/deleted or is not running, then any eLicense games will not work. This file will typically NOT be present if you have not been successful in activating the license key for the eLicense games (it typically gets downloaded and installed during the license activation process). You may also want to check in the Services control panel (right-click the Start Menu > Computer Management > 'Services and Applications' in the left menu > Services. In here look for the 'LicCtrlService' and see if it is Running. If not, then start it and see that it is in the 'Running' status.

You may want to run the eLicense games as 'Administrator'. Right-click on the icons you use to launch the games and select 'Properties' from the popup menu. In here go to the 'Compatibility' tab and near the bottom checkmark the box for 'Run this program as administrator'. Click 'Apply' and then 'OK'. Typically the OS compatibility settings aren't needed, but sometimes they work for some users.

Your security software could change some registry settings that could interfere with some programs and how they may load DLLs. Follow the instructions for 'Fix 5 - Reset the value for LoadAppInit_DLLs in registry' at this link:  https://thegeekpage.com/how-to-solve-application-error-0xc0000142-in-windows-10/ .

Hopefully something in here has got you running again. With CMBB you may notice REALLY SLOW performance. To possibly correct this, Alt-Tab out of the game (typically to the desktop) and then re-maximize CMBB. This should hopefully bring the performance back to what it should be. If for some reason that doesn't work, you can possibly mess around with 'Affinity' for the game, which will set the game to work with a particular CPU core. To do this, make sure you have already selected a resolution AND properly exited out of CMBB (so that this setting is written to the Prefs file). Launch CMBB again and then Ctrl-Alt-Del and select 'Task Manager', go to the 'Details' tab and look for the 'Barbarossa to Berlin.exe' listing. Right-click on it and select 'Set Affinity'. In here UNCHECK '<All Processors>' and also UNCHECK ALL of the other processors listed and then check just ONE of them (possibly a 'higher' numbered one that may not be getting much use from other processes). Re-maximize CMBB and hopefully it should be performing acceptably now.

Edited by Schrullenhaft

If you Google that error number you will see this affecting a whole host of applications large and small. Its not so much a CM problem as a Microsoft problem. There are plenty of instruction (and videos) on how to fix it... in theory. Although '0xc0000142 ERROR' took my CMA and CMSF1 from me and I never did figure out to get them back.