How can I extend a fire mission?

I have a specific soft target (MG not dug in) and have called in an on map 81mm mortar point strike (quick).

As I have eyes on, I am hoping to hit or send the MG to rejoin his mates.  This MG besides controlling avenues of approach, I believe is also the enemy's only eyes on various approaches (very elevated position).

But what if I fail to get a hit?  Can it I extend the fire mission?  Can I recall the exact same mission without waiting another 5 minutes for bombardment?  (One would figure, both of these should be quick and easy to achieve.)

Thanks.

7 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

No, you have to start all over again.  I almost always request maximum duration and then cancel when appropriate (or maybe adjust onto a new target).  

+1

This allows you to keep the shells raining down if that becomes necessary.  It's the most flexible approach and I do the same.

Yes it is, but I don't want to approach it like "I better get all my tubes emptied as soon as possible in case my spotter dies". If he does, he does. But I wouldn't use that as part of my planning or as a guiding principle for conducting fire missions (its rare anyway). Long-duration fire missions are desirable for their suppression effects as well as keeping some rounds 'in the locker' for later use on targets of opportunity. Destroying the enemy with artillery is great and all, but it's a bit of a crap-shoot most of the time. More reliable is the fact that raining shells keep heads down and cause the enemy to sometimes expose themselves as they shift positions due to the effect of the falling shells around them. This is a good thing and I want to extend this capability as long as possible, particularly when the fire is speculative.

If you are targeting a single target, or trenchline or what have you, then longer, lighter fire missions aren't the solution. But for most of my arty missions it's more a case of using this fire to suppress any enemy that may be there.

In the case of direct-fire mortar missions, light and long is essentially a requirement, due to the rate of fire. That, or target briefly and shift it next turn. I've never been satisfied with the options here in CM. Would love to be able to pre-select multiple targets and have the crew shift fire mid-turn. Or just simply an 'area fire' option for direct fire mortars with a draggable targeting circle like in indirect fire missions would be great.

Edited by landser

17 hours ago, landser said:

More reliable is the fact that raining shells keep heads down and cause the enemy to sometimes expose themselves as they shift positions due to the effect of the falling shells around them.

Artillery can also be an "area denial" weapon. Suppose you are the defender and for whatever reason you don't want the enemy to advance along a particular avenue. Dropping some shells there can be an effective discouragement. Same thing if you are attacking and you don't want the defender to shift reserves to the part of the line you plan to attack.

One problem with advanced strategies like these though is that most scenarios don't provide enough arty to do them in a realistic fashion. The Allies especially used lavish amounts of artillery to get the job done and it wasn't all expended to destroy observed targets.

Michael