Bug and stuff thread

Cobetco

It gets weird now. Image below is Final Blitzkrieg with two identical Panther G (Late): Each tank has different lower detail behaviour regarding turret tracks when zooming out!?

( Another "bug": I cannot attach images to this forum anymore, since  I filled the amount of a whopping 2 MegaBytes. Well that is more then a DS HD floppy disk, but only just )

Panther-G-Late-small.png

Edited by Kevin2k

12 hours ago, Kevin2k said:

( Another "bug": I cannot attach images to this forum anymore, since  I filled the amount of a whopping 2 MegaBytes. Well that is more then a DS HD floppy disk, but only just )

Panther-G-Late-small.png

Well, I hope you are able to post lager pictures than these - because I for one cant see anything in these tiny pics. :)

My suggestion: If you have Dropbox, you can place the picture in a Dropbox folder and create a link for the file which you can then paste into your post with the "Insert other media" function below. As far as I know, you have to replace the 0 in the end of the link with a 1 in order for the picture to be visible in your comment.

3 hours ago, umlaut said:

Well, I hope you are able to post lager pictures than these - because I for one cant see anything in these tiny pics. :)

My suggestion: If you have Dropbox, you can place the picture in a Dropbox folder and create a link for the file which you can then paste into your post with the "Insert other media" function below. As far as I know, you have to replace the 0 in the end of the link with a 1 in order for the picture to be visible in your comment.

The model detail switching distance goes together with somewhat small vehicles. Because of that the images describing the bugged behaviour are small in nature. Well to my eyes it is rather crude when I see it in game. As it is now I would rather have no spare turret tracks on any vehicle, instead of them appearing and disappearing like now.

My conclusion of yesterday was that there are several Panther model files with bugged randomized  'optional' items and texture mixup. I count at least 4 bugged Panther model files in that regard.  Also the game logic to synchronize the randomized 'optional' items between main model  and low detail model can lose track, confusing the matter and causing the same glitches for a different reason.

Thanks for the tip on dropbox. I could make a dropbox account or use imagebam.com like before. But these services tend to hold images for a few years and then crap out for some reason. Photobucket being a bad example.

I don't know if this is just a case of differing sources, but this is generally a very good reference for OOBs and it looks like Commonwealth Forces in '44-'45 could use some tweaking regarding the availability of Sherman IIa, Ib and Firefly.

The biggest difference – particularly in 1944 – was the incorporation of large amounts of American vehicles into Commonwealth formations. As mentioned above, Italy was very low in priority during the Normandy Campaign (and the build-up to it). Consequently, replacement Churchill tanks were in desperately short supply and newer vehicle models such as Cromwell, Challenger and Churchill Mk V+ were non-existent. The solution was to ‘pad’ the regiments out with American-supplied Shermans and also to upgrade older Churchill Mk IVs with the Sherman’s 75mm gun (thus creating the Churchill Mk IV (NA75) – the ‘NA’ referring to North Africa, where they were converted). Large numbers of American softskins were also employed.

Another problem was the lack of a 17pdr-armed tank such as the Sherman Firefly – all of which were going to Normandy. The Americans lent a hand by supplying large numbers of Sherman IIa (M4A1 76mm) which, while not as good as the Firefly, were a great improvement on the standard Sherman. They also went a step further by supplying Sherman Ib (M4 105mm) Close Support Tanks, which by the end of the war were present in every Commonwealth Sherman Squadron Headquarters in Italy. Late-model Churchills and Fireflies did eventually arrive in Italy (along with ‘Funnies’ such as AVREs, Kangaroos, LVTs, etc); but not until the Winter of 1944/45 and then only in relatively small numbers.

In 6th and 6th South African Armoured Divisions, Late 1944: May replace some or all Sherman II/III/V with:Sherman IIa 76mm Cruiser Tank

Yp22tnt.png

In simplest terms, it seems like 3rd troop of South African armored squadrons should be able to have Sherman IIa's as the Firefly Substitute > Medium Tank in addition to the Sherman V, as is the case with the Medium Tank option for the first 2 troops. I would need the opinion of someone better informed on how common Fireflies and Sherman Ib's should be, but it appears like the rarity or even availability of Fireflies differed between Commonwealth forces.

e: With the SS now in game, I'd like to see the Herman Goering troops in Sicily and Southern Italy with the SS Plane Tree and Oakleaf smocks.Many of those were traded in for standard Luftwaffe ground smocks later. Also in Sicily and Italy, the HG were known to wear whatever they could "liberate" from stores and captured supplies, like Italian camouflage items.

Some good references on the HG Division:

- Kurowski, Franz: "The History of the Fallschirm Panzerkorps Hermann Göring" ISBN 0-921991-25-8
- Otte, Alfred: "The HG Panzer Division" ISBN 0-88740-206-2
- Bender, Roger James et al: "Hermann Göring: From Regiment to Fallschirmpanzerkorps" ISBN 0-88740-473-1

Edited by DougPhresh

21 hours ago, DougPhresh said:

I don't know if this is just a case of differing sources, but this is generally a very good reference for OOBs and it looks like Commonwealth Forces in '44-'45 could use some tweaking regarding the availability of Sherman IIa, Ib and Firefly.

In simplest terms, it seems like 3rd troop of South African armored squadrons should be able to have Sherman IIa's as the Firefly Substitute > Medium Tank in addition to the Sherman V, as is the case with the Medium Tank option for the first 2 troops. I would need the opinion of someone better informed on how common Fireflies and Sherman Ib's should be, but it appears like the rarity or even availability of Fireflies differed between Commonwealth forces.

For August to September 1944, SA Armoured Regiment 44A allows for 2x IBs per squadron and 1x troop of Sherman IIAs.  For October 1944 on, SA Armoured Regiment has 2x IBs per squadron HQ standard, allows you to replace all 75mm Shermans in regiment except in 4th troop with Sherman IIAs, and allows 4th troop to be Fireflies.  Disagree with above chart that says SA 6th Division should hold no fireflies in Spring '45 as I have actual 15th AG returns showing 12x ICs in the division in April '45.

It's not perfect as it doesn't allow for nuanced transition like 2x IIA troops, 1x 75mm troop and 1x Firefly troops, but otherwise captures everything you describe above.

e: With the SS now in game, I'd like to see the Herman Goering troops in Sicily and Southern Italy with the SS Plane Tree and Oakleaf smocks.Many of those were traded in for standard Luftwaffe ground smocks later. Also in Sicily and Italy, the HG were known to wear whatever they could "liberate" from stores and captured supplies, like Italian camouflage items.

Some good references on the HG Division:

- Kurowski, Franz: "The History of the Fallschirm Panzerkorps Hermann Göring" ISBN 0-921991-25-8
- Otte, Alfred: "The HG Panzer Division" ISBN 0-88740-206-2
- Bender, Roger James et al: "Hermann Göring: From Regiment to Fallschirmpanzerkorps" ISBN 0-88740-473-1

I see you are copy-pasting from this old axis history post: 

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=92903

Unfortunately, neither that nor other information I've seen posted provides any good information on how common use of SS smocks was in the division in Italy.

Edited by akd

4 hours ago, akd said:

For August to September 1944, SA Armoured Regiment 44A allows for 2x IBs per squadron and 1x troop of Sherman IIAs.  For October 1944 on, SA Armoured Regiment has 2x IBs per squadron HQ standard, allows you to replace all 75mm Shermans in regiment except in 4th troop with Sherman IIAs, and allows 4th troop to be Fireflies.  Disagree with above chart that says SA 6th Division should hold no fireflies in Spring '45 as I have actual 15th AG returns showing 12x ICs in the division in April '45.

It's not perfect as it doesn't allow for nuanced transition like 2x IIA troops, 1x 75mm troop and 1x Firefly troops, but otherwise captures everything you describe above.

I see you are copy-pasting from this old axis history post: 

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=92903

Unfortunately, neither that nor other information I've seen posted provides any good information on how common use of SS smocks was in the division in Italy.

Really great feedback, thanks. It must have been a chore and half to comb through the records to pin down the various Canadian, British, and South African formations. Were the Firefly troops an administrative unit and attached to troops of IIas or 75s, or were they employed tactically as an all-Firefly unit? (i.e in a QB do I delete the troop and add single vehicle Fireflies to the remaining troops?)

I was! It's hard to find something concise outside of reddit and axishistory posts, which obviously are always kinda dubious.

Here are the illustrations from the Osprey title "Men-at-Arms 385 - The Hermann Göring Division" :

UDxX4I7.png

byyIyyM.png

ECkNwS9.png

usJN0TM.png

Gk4j12g.png

Edited by DougPhresh

On 12/21/2019 at 7:30 AM, DougPhresh said:

With the SS now in game, I'd like to see the Herman Goering troops in Sicily and Southern Italy with the SS Plane Tree and Oakleaf smocks.Many of those were traded in for standard Luftwaffe ground smocks later. Also in Sicily and Italy, the HG were known to wear whatever they could "liberate" from stores and captured supplies, like Italian camouflage items.

There's always modding and mod tagging if you want to create your own HG scenarios where you feel the oakleaf smocks should be used. I'm not 100% but pretty sure the models are the same so it's a simple texture replace.

51 minutes ago, Ithikial_AU said:

There's always modding and mod tagging if you want to create your own HG scenarios where you feel the oakleaf smocks should be used. I'm not 100% but pretty sure the models are the same so it's a simple texture replace.

I've edited some files - I have no idea how to do mod tagging!  More to the point, I'm not as talented as the BF art team, and for them to make the troops of the Herman Goering Division display the correct white Waffenfarben and to add the cuff title to their uniforms would be very little effort. Similarly, they can both add and support Appearance options better than I could implement mod tags.

This seems like a pretty quick fix - just a uniform option like Greatcoat/Camouflage/etc. that substitutes white collar badges for the green and adds cuff titles for Luftwaffe troops during the dates the HG was involved in the campaign. Call it "Herman Goering" or something in line with the Gebirgsjäger option added in Rome to Victory. Mixing in some splinter camo would also be very straight forward and I think is already done in for the Field Divisions.

With Rome To Victory, the elements of these uniforms all exist in the files already. It's just a matter of a more talented artist and researcher putting together Appearance options for Herman Goering / Herman Goering Greatcoat / Herman Goering Mixed Camo (Luftwaffe and Heer Splinter with some Italian?) / Herman Goering Oakleaf  / Herman Goering Winter or whatever the options end up being.

Here are the modded files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpb5v0343pc6iid/HG Skins Test.zip?dl=0

and a preview:

aXlMz4U.png
smod-german-lw-m43-soldier-uniform-4.png

smod-german-lw-m43-soldier-nco-uniform-2

q6KCwep.jpgpgr3CdP.png

Step 1: And the end of eachtexture file add the desired word or 'modtag' in square brackets. For example:  smod_german_lw_helmet-para[smock].bmp  (Ensure you use the same file name as the stock texture.

Step 2: Replicate. Create the number of mod tagged textures equal or greater than the stock number of textures. Otherwise stock textures will still be visible. (If you only want a smattering of SS smocks then you only need one or two).

Step 3: In a simple text doc type in the word that is the mod tag. Save and exit.

Step 4: In the editor open the scenario and click on the mod tag button. import the text document you just created.

Step 5: Save and done.

Note: Mod tagged textures won't be used if the the mod tag is not part of the scenario or is not one of the key words that is hard coded into that game. (For example "snow")

Edited by Ithikial_AU

7 hours ago, Ithikial_AU said:

Step 1: And the end of eachtexture file add the desired word or 'modtag' in square brackets. For example:  smod_german_lw_helmet-para[smock].bmp  (Ensure you use the same file name as the stock texture.

Step 2: Replicate. Create the number of mod tagged textures equal or greater than the stock number of textures. Otherwise stock textures will still be visible. (If you only want a smattering of SS smocks then you only need one or two).

Step 3: In a simple text doc type in the word that is the mod tag. Save and exit.

Step 4: In the editor open the scenario and click on the mod tag button. import the text document you just created.

Step 5: Save and done.

Note: Mod tagged textures won't be used if the the mod tag is not part of the scenario or is not one of the key words that is hard coded into that game. (For example "snow")

Concerning Step 1) Is a space between file name and bracket necessary or not? I have had trouble with no space. So your example, should it be: smod_german_lw_helmet-para [smock].bmp

3 hours ago, Petrus58 said:

In the battle End of the Line, the infantry which start in the Bedford trucks have their backpacks and backsides protruding through the side of the trucks.

Yes, the title is unfortunately incorrect. I should of course had been Line of the Ends
;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 10:34 PM, CHEqTRO said:

While playing the Two Crowns scenario, my T32 Mountain gun refused to fire for some reason.

The gunner kept in a permanent state of "turning" the weapon, but never fired, despite having perfect line of vision/fire and being commanded to fire via the target command. It is true that one of the 4 soldiers that usually handle the weapon was killed before this, and maybe that was the reason it refuse to turn the weapon, as it needed the full crew to work, so maybe is working as intended?

Yeah, I'm having the same issue here with the T32 on the Two Crowns scenario. It can target, but is in a constant state of "turning". Makes the scenario even harder than it needs be...