Russian aps

ishfar94

Quick question. The guide says t90s have aps but is that even true? I've been playing quite a bit with Russians and had multiple dudes take at6 shots at me from the front but never have I seen the aps go off.I know in terms of quality the Russians are supposed to be inferior (lack of funding and all that) but in game they are hilariously bad. Sure they've some good units like the khrys but it becomes a joke when your tanks struggle to spot even muzzle flashes from 700-800 metres away while everyone starts dying around them. Have there been patches/can we expect some patches to fix this in the near future?

You can purchase (or the scenario designer can choose) vehicles either with or without APS. Are you sure your T-90s are so equipped? I've found APS to be maddeningly consistent at knocking down (my) incoming rockets and missiles. But be warned, they've only got a few 'shots' of APS then they've vulnerable.

In a recent quick battle, I had T90AM APS explode 3 TOW-2Bs in short succession. I've also seen top ERA stop a Javelin. They also managed to take out all three of my M1A2SEPs, which were at the back of the map, behind foliage, in low-light conditions. I've also seen a T90A destroy a Bradley, while its TOW was still in the air. Also, hidden in foliage and low-light conditions.

IDK how it is from the Russian side. But from the American side, I've learned not to underestimate T90s -- especially the AM variant with APS. They're not equal to the M1A2SEPs, but they can certainly kill them. I did take screenshots, and may post an AAR -- documenting my experiences.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:27 AM, ishfar94 said:

Quick question. The guide says t90s have aps but is that even true? I've been playing quite a bit with Russians and had multiple dudes take at6 shots at me from the front but never have I seen the aps go off.I know in terms of quality the Russians are supposed to be inferior (lack of funding and all that) but in game they are hilariously bad. Sure they've some good units like the khrys but it becomes a joke when your tanks struggle to spot even muzzle flashes from 700-800 metres away while everyone starts dying around them. Have there been patches/can we expect some patches to fix this in the near future?

Russian APS is pure fantasy. Even prototype of T-90AM that was actually built for parades but never even considered to be in service does not have and never even tested this fantasy APS. 

While ukrainian APS is real and even exported to other countries, like Turkey.  Ukrainian APS should have much much lower rarity ingame, and allowed to be mounted not just to Oplots but also to BTR-4s. 

2 hours ago, Oleg said:

Russian APS is pure fantasy. Even prototype of T-90AM that was actually built for parades but never even considered to be in service does not have and never even tested this fantasy APS. 

While ukrainian APS is real and even exported to other countries, like Turkey.  Ukrainian APS should have much much lower rarity ingame, and allowed to be mounted not just to Oplots but also to BTR-4s. 

In service T72B3 with Arena.

f_aWMucGljcy5saXZlam91cm5hbC5jb20vYW5kcm

How many APS equiped BTR-4s does Ukraine operate?

3 hours ago, Oleg said:

What Oplots?  :lol:

You are living in cloud-cuckoo land pal.  :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

What Oplots?  :lol:

You are living in cloud-cuckoo land pal.  :rolleyes:

I think Ukraine retains around 6 of older variant tanks in service with the 50 tank contract to Thailand (which lead Thailand to switch to buying Chinese).

I mean while ~60 tanks in T90M contracts (and another hundred or so in Armatas and various misc things like T80BVMs) are also underwhelming there are big ongoing export sales to India (464 more tanks with 464 more MSs being discussed) which keep UVZ afloat and happy, in addition to what, ~1500 (?) T72B3s of various mods?

Edited by ikalugin

Some images of the Arena system, more or less as fitted above:

DSC00693.JPG

DSC00687.JPG

DSC02560.JPG

DSC04739.JPG

Neat little package compared to the original Arena setup, or the vast 'dumbo-ears' of the Abrams' APS.  :P

More on Gur-Khan's site, here:

http://gurkhan.blogspot.com/2019/11/723-09-06.html#more

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

1 minute ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Six!  :o

Enough to conquer the galaxy, apparently!  :lol:

I mean the main core of the tank force seems to be composed of Soviet era T64BV with some upgraded T64BVs (Bulats and the new ones), various odd balls, some of them scavenged off export contracts that they decided to cut. A large scale upgrade program for T64BVs on the lines of the current one would be the way probably.

19 minutes ago, ikalugin said:

I mean the main core of the tank force seems to be composed of Soviet era T64BV with some upgraded T64BVs (Bulats and the new ones), various odd balls, some of them scavenged off export contracts that they decided to cut. A large scale upgrade program for T64BVs on the lines of the current one would be the way probably.

Bulats are no more. They were pulled out of the front line service and further orders were cancelled. Bulat is too overweight for its engine/transmission and too expensive compared with more limited T-64 upgrades. And Ukrainian MoD is pulling T-72 out of storage since there are not enough T-64s in storage worth investing money into.

Edited by IMHO

On 11/25/2019 at 6:15 PM, IMHO said:

Bulat is too overweight for its engine/transmission.

Thats false news from the mouth of pro-russian propaganda. In reality Bulat has more horse power to weight ratio than soviet t-64bv. Bulat upgrade package includes new more powerful engine. 

Edited by Oleg

28 minutes ago, Oleg said:

Thats false news from the mouth of pro-russian propaganda

Facepalm. That's from the interview of the Deputy Head of Ground Forces of the Ukrainian Army. The interview is to the Ukrainian press certainly.

PS A common problem of discussions with most of the Ukrainian fanboys: they prefer to limit information intake to upbeat reporting of their "patriotic" mass media and shun their own Ukrainian industrial press.

Edited by IMHO

16 minutes ago, IMHO said:

Facepalm. That's from the interview of the Deputy Head of Ground Forces of the Ukrainian Army. The interview is to the Ukrainian press certainly.

PS A common problem of discussions with most of the Ukrainian fanboys: they prefer to limit information intake to upbeat reporting of their "patriotic" mass media and shun their own Ukrainian industrial press.

A direct link to the original source you are citing would be a good move forward.

3 minutes ago, ikalugin said:

A direct link to the original source you are citing would be a good move forward.

"танки Т-64БМ «Булат» в силу большого веса и слабого двигателя оказались неэффективными, были переведены в резерв, и заменены линейными Т-64"

"Bulat upgrade turned out to be ineffective due to excessive weight and weak engine. They were transferred to reserves and were replaced by baseline T-64s in front line service"

http://opk.com.ua/острейшие-проблемы-всу-сегодня-не-свя/

I posted it twice in two other topics that were active today.

PS Actually Bulat problems made quite a headlines in Ukrainian press in its time. Except for Poroshenko-aligned "patriotic" press that preferred to look away from slightest issues of his reign.

36 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Returning to things Russian, although not APS.....Does anyone know what the green & black camoed, 8-wheeled vehicle in the background of this image is:

DSC04739.JPG

The turret looks like the new 57mm AA gun, but I don't recognize the chassis?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATOM_(IFV)

Back to APS:

t72b3APS.thumb.jpg.9ac9c29113335d5a7df3a505849200cd.jpg

Arena-M field trials on T-72B3.

Edited by akd

Ah, OK.....That's the image that prompted this thread. 

It looks to be a somewhat simplified version of the Arena variant seen on the vehicle in Gur-Khan's images (no rearward dispensers, or possibly just one dispenser on the left, with an odd looking cover).

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead