Megalon Jones Youtube DARs & AARs

Started some CM vids for AARs/DARs....

'Fortress Grosshau' is the subject of the first series.  Excuse my weak graphics card and awkward narrative delivery. I think I'm going to start writing scripts before recording narration. Score is original music (I'm a professional musician among other things.)  Try to watch in full screen for the full cinematic effect.

All inspiration comes from watching vids by Usually Hapless, Josey Wales, Ithikial and Double.  You guys set the bar!

Edited by Megalon Jones
Goofed on copy paste!

Well done! Keep going and keep improving. Your video is already much better than a lot of youtube Combat Mission AARs out there, which leave the ugly objective markers on, and spend ages showing movement being plotted, or zoom all over the landscape and give you a headache. You've gone for the cinematic, story-telling style adopted by the best youtubers like Josey Wales. My only suggestion is that the overcast conditions make the visuals a bit soupy and undefined. It'd be good to have a few shadows picking out the details. Please keep 'em coming!

18 hours ago, Combatintman said:

I enjoyed it - about the right length - no long bits where the player is plotting endless moves and me wanting to rotate the screen to see what is going on etc.  Good and succinct description of what was going on and some good action shots.  Have a like mate.

15 hours ago, Anson Pelmet said:

Well done! Keep going and keep improving. Your video is already much better than a lot of youtube Combat Mission AARs out there, which leave the ugly objective markers on, and spend ages showing movement being plotted, or zoom all over the landscape and give you a headache. You've gone for the cinematic, story-telling style adopted by the best youtubers like Josey Wales. My only suggestion is that the overcast conditions make the visuals a bit soupy and undefined. It'd be good to have a few shadows picking out the details. Please keep 'em coming!

Without naming names, there are a couple Youtubers who have shown me what not to do.  I hate watching people plot movements and zooming around the map literally makes me seasick.

21 hours ago, IanL said:

Yeah, well done.

I don't think you need the background spooky music - game sounds and your commentary are enough.

I am not a fan of the washed out look but I know plenty of people are - so I wouldn't hold it against you :)

I'll keep watching.

I'm going to back off on the music some for the next installment!  I agree with your take:  it's overkill right now.

The 'washed out look' is partly a function off the film grain overlay.  It tricks your eyes into thinking you are watching 35mm film rather than digital.  I don't think I used ALT-M mode, but I might be wrong.

1 hour ago, Megalon Jones said:

I'm going to back off on the music some for the next installment!  I agree with your take:  it's overkill right now.

Cool - save it for a few dramatic moments - or just let the explosions from the game emphasis those :)

1 hour ago, Megalon Jones said:

The 'washed out look' is partly a function off the film grain overlay.  It tricks your eyes into thinking you are watching 35mm film rather than digital.  I don't think I used ALT-M mode, but I might be wrong.

Oh I understand the reason people do it - it just doesn't add anything for me. You do you though - the AAR really was very good and I agree with several other comments about length and what you included vs not included.

I suppose videos are like the game itself, we all have our own way of playing it, and viewing it. For every QBer there is a campaigner, and for every RTer there is a WEGOer. I loved CMx1 and played it for years. Then when my old dad died I didn't do any gaming for about three and a half years. I only found out about CMx2 via the Armchair General videos. And the first "mission" video I watched was a 2 hour 40 minute "Roadblock" affair produced by someone called "The Games Pusher", and that is what got me back into gaming. Since then I've always enjoyed watching people plan their moves, and explain the reasons for what they are doing.

Although I would agree with what has been said above, when video makers zoom the camera all over the battlefield during the replay phrase it is very irritating.

Some very good work @Megalon Jones.

I've been making videos for a year now & my number one piece of advice would be to "keep your fps up".

Nowadays, I aim for ~40fps whilst setting up for a "scene"... I know that sounds/action during the shot will reduce the fps back down into the 30's.

Shift+[ & Shift+] allows you to reduce your 3d model quality, in game, to the necessary level to make the shot.

Shadows & shaders also affect fps & it's important to decide, early on, if that particular cinematic video is going to use them.

7 hours ago, 37mm said:

Some very good work @Megalon Jones.

I've been making videos for a year now & my number one piece of advice would be to "keep your fps up".

Nowadays, I aim for ~40fps whilst setting up for a "scene"... I know that sounds/action during the shot will reduce the fps back down into the 30's.

Shift+[ & Shift+] allows you to reduce your 3d model quality, in game, to the necessary level to make the shot.

Shadows & shaders also affect fps & it's important to decide, early on, if that particular cinematic video is going to use them.

Yup...… I plan to address the choppiness in certain scenes next installment.  Thanks for the kind words.

4 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I enjoyed the little break to tell us about your hometown's industrial relations history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flint_sit-down_strike

2 hours ago, Combatintman said:

Another good segment - I liked the Stug engagement which was well-composed.  Some gutsy moves with the half-tracks - I never seem to get off so lightly!

I spent ten minutes hosing suspected positions with MG's and HE.  It also helps that the dogfaces aren't the green recruits of June, 1944.  These guys know their business and are led by effective NCO's and CO's.

Thanks for that piece. An interesting read. The local motor works in my home town here in Limeyland was owned by GM but they shut it down in the mid 70's.  

I once knew a couple, who have sadly broken up, she had lived in Flint and he was from Cadillac, they were both musicians, and I doubt if either of them played CM. Ho hum.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

On 11/13/2019 at 12:19 PM, luke221 said:

These are really good man I love how they are short enough to digest in one sitting and super clear about the context of the engagements in the scenario.

Good Job Man! Love em' Can't wait for more 

More on the way!  Along with 'Grosshau' , I'm knee deep in a H2H match on the 'Wiltz' scenario.  I'm also getting ready for another H2H involving some interesting house rules.  I plan on making an introductory video exploring the effects of these rules on command and control. 

On 11/14/2019 at 8:06 PM, Oddball-47 said:

An outstanding production, Megalon. I loved the intro. Thank you for working it up. Very immersive and informative and the use
of music was the icing on the cake. Great job on the narration as well.

Regards, Odd

Thanks a bunch!

12 hours ago, herr_oberst said:

Dang, at 7:15 in the second video, the guys helmet actually gets blown off!  Never noticed that before while playing, 'cause I'm too busy with less zoomed in views..

Seems like I spend half my time watching replays.  I'll usually watch each turn a couple times at a "God's eye view' and then zoom in on the interesting action.

20 hours ago, herr_oberst said:

Well?  Well???   Don't leave us hanging (while we wait for the CMFI RTV release)... :)

Should be next week with more updates on Grosshau.  Just got in from work and I'm coming down with a cold. 🤒

I'm glad you enjoy them!  The Wiltz movie is going to be multipart video with post battle analysis a la Usually Hapless, but uploaded all at once. 

I've also just purchase War in the Pacific Admiral's edition from Matrix Games and am dipping my toes in grand strategy and mechanics of that system (I may need to hire a real life staff....that game seems to be an homage to the old SSI 'monster games' from the 1970's.)

10 hours ago, Commanderski said:

In War in the Pacific Admiral's edition you can play the game day by actual day so it will take you at least 4 years to complete a campaign.

I'm wondering if anyone has actually completed the GC?  No joke.

Just got completely bushwhacked in the Coral Sea.  Forgot to adjust my search plane arcs after moving TF17 into a perfect ambush position.😱   Never saw 'em coming.