TSD III, TPG II & The CM Mod Warehouse Update area.

On 3/31/2021 at 12:40 AM, Erwin said:

This is only useful for scenario designers, or should we put this in our mod folder?

it is useful for designers or to look at maps or scenarios already using this principle .
Like "The Carillon 1 It's Quiet-Too Quiet" by @LongLeftFlank
or the Fantastic I repeat it Fantastic map of @Kandu ( Master Hauts Vents et Pont Hebert ) and the resulting scenarios (use mods joint with the map and this of @Lucky_Strike and even if you had never set foot in Normandy you could say: "yes I know, I've been there")

merci @Bootie

Wow, thanks @Bootie
Honoured that you have taken the time to review it like this. This is actually just a sort of quick-mod I made because @StieliAlphaasked for a 223 mod - and I just happend to have been working on it for Kohlenklau´s Romania mod set.

If I had known that someone would give it such a thorough look over, I would have worked a bit more on the details. 🙂

15 minutes ago, umlaut said:

Wow, thanks @Bootie
Honoured that you have taken the time to review it like this. This is actually just a sort of quick-mod I made because @StieliAlphaasked for a 223 mod - and I just happend to have been working on it for Kohlenklau´s Romania mod set.

If I had known that someone would give it such a thorough look over, I would have worked a bit more on the details. 🙂

Welcome to the new Combat Mission Command Channel.  ;)

13 hours ago, umlaut said:

Wow, thanks @Bootie

Made, because I asked for it....🥲 And itˋs not even my birthday. Thanks, guys!

@umlaut: I havenˋt tried it yet, but the mod looks great in Booties review. Especially the rusted weld seams are a nice new touch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Bootie said:

For the mod warehouse you just need to email me your mods and I will upload for you.

Sorry for not getting back.. been a bit swamped with Cold War and Fire And Rubble dropping so quickly together,

You don’t have to do a video for every mod. If anything, that should come later. People know what they are looking for and getting. They want downloads, not videos. 

There isn’t a Cold War category up yet, even though the game was announced months ago and released nearly a week ago. There are already a lot of mods here on the BFC forums for it, and that is likely to increase. 

If it’s so difficult to keep up with the mods and game releases it might be time to re-evaluate the current system. 

2 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

You don’t have to do a video for every mod. If anything, that should come later. People know what they are looking for and getting. They want downloads, not videos. 

There isn’t a Cold War category up yet, even though the game was announced months ago and released nearly a week ago. There are already a lot of mods here on the BFC forums for it, and that is likely to increase. 

If it’s so difficult to keep up with the mods and game releases it might be time to re-evaluate the current system. 

Ummm there is a CMCW area available however it doesn't display until mods are submitted to me and no one has mailed me any yet.

Sorry if the service I provide you for free on my own hosting isnt up to your standard... I mean if you are interested in funding/building this yourself going forward I will happily send you all the mods - deactivate my sites and let you crack on.

Have a nice day.

9 minutes ago, Bootie said:

Ummm there is a CMCW area available however it doesn't display until mods are submitted to me and no one has mailed me any yet.

Bootie, I dropped you a message a week ago, and never heard back. How do I go about updating my mods at the new warehouse? Do I join FGM again to do it?  Belonged years ago, but don't see my profile there anymore.

11 minutes ago, Bootie said:

Sorry if the service I provide you for free on my own hosting isnt up to your standard... I mean if you are interested in funding/building this yourself going forward I will happily send you all the mods - deactivate my sites and let you crack on.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have more than one person taking on this arduous task. Maybe allowing mod makers to become authors to upload their own content again would help your work load? Or perhaps just a handful of mates who are more in the know of these very complicated systems. Maybe they could even help finish the mod transfer from CMMODS 3 to CMMODS 4 that was started over 2 years ago now?

Just an idea. After all, this was a service that you volunteered to take on for BFC, and is the centralized place for people to share their mods, which is a very big part of the CM community. 

A most esteemed and pleasant evening to you my right honorable gentleman. 

I suspect the issue is that this process is neither obvious, nor terribly transparent. I certainly had no idea that it was possible to upload scenarios or mods for Cold War to the website, and I'm still not entirely clear how one would go about that, without directly involving you (with all of the demands on your time that would imply).

CM has historically thrived on user scenarios and mods, and for the future of the game it's important that this is as accessible as possible, to as many people as possible. CM is a niche title, but it doesn't seem like there's any advantage in making it more niche than it needs to be.

Like I said if you or anyone has the time or inclination to provide something better go and build it and I will step aside.  I have been doing the best I can for the CM Community for the best part of 20 years.  If my services are no longer required I will gladly hang up my hat.

So... anyone?

I like your (freely offered) services @Bootie and hope that you continue please.  Yes updates and whatever can take time to appear, but I imagine it's an ever-expanding drain on you, so I have no criticism. 

The suggestion of more people getting involved is perhaps a solution but I don't know enough about the cog-turning and whether it's something you think would work?

Thankyou Vacillator...

When I have time, I dedicate it to CM, but having a family, a job and suchlike does impact.

To clarify a few things for folk...

The reason mods come through me is because...

a) The file hosting is my own and I don't want to open it up to the whole web as I have neither the desire to share my own workspace with everyone or the time to be a trouble shooter when uploads go wrong...

b) This keeps the uploads sterile.  I know where everything is stored and sorted.  When we transferred over thousands upon thousands of mods from the BF Repository to CMMODSIII years ago the place was a mess.  And with free reign CMMODS eventually became a mess too.

This filtering through me was discussed and supported by BF.

The Scenario site however is open to everyone to upload to - with my only input being granting access.  I work tirelessly behind the scenes keeping this place in order but that's not noticed because its back room maintenance.

I understand folks frustrations but I only have so many hours in a day and when someone who has more time than me and is willing to have a go at trying to keep these cogs turning believe me I will happily hang up my coat and get more involved in actually playing the games I love more.  I did think Steam would open the possibility of having the Steam Warehouse support this but it is not the case.

So for now we have what we have... if folk are dissatisfied I suggest they get together and take the workload of my hands because its been one hell of a work load over the years but until that time I suggest they either put up or shut up and for now I will carry on at my own pace doing what I can for the community.

As an aside you can now find Vins CMCW Animated Text on the CM Mods Warehouse.  Enjoy.  :)

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/cm-mod-warehouse/combat-mission-cold-war/cmcw-other/cmcw-vins-animated-text-v1-00-heavy-only/

JtrShiSg.jpeg.4c128b385c66be3b2400b951225dcc17.jpeg