Hunt mode - unrealistic exahaustion

• 2 weeks later...

“hunt” in CMx2 is very similar to “contact” . So it is an attacking order, an order looking for trouble.

On operational level, attacking costs a lot of fuel, ammunition, make personal and equipment exhaust fast. A mechanized formation can move at 30-45km/hr on a road in friendly territory, but as soon as it gets into Indian country, the road marching speed can be reduced to half. Same rule can be applied to tactical level. Your infantrymen ready their weapons , slowly advance, and the squad leader just told everyone “Keep eyes open, there are VC everywhere!” . It makes a human being physically and emotionally exhaust very fast.   

Maybe you should accept the fact that the “hunt” is slow, then the question is how to effectively do the recon.

Of course “recon by death” is favored by a lot of people including me. Split a two men team and send them forward. Make sure they don’t take away your precious SMG/LMG/Panzerfaust/RPG. After they cut down by enemy fire, you know there is trouble ahead waiting for you.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:47 AM, Panzer_Freak said:

Yepp, I can agree on some exahaustion - but not much, as it is now it is borderline riddicolus. I have actually almost stop using Hunt mode, only in very specific situations. Splitting up squads into fire teams and leapfrog them using regular move mode is better, because then they do not get exhausted and still have good enough fire readiness with in the squad.

I am also using another method which is very similar to yours, split the formation into several teams. But I will use “Hunt” order.

Hopefully this excel sheet makes everything clear.

image.png.a77f2a0aceaefb1a5992cc468a7ed280.png

I borrowed the idea from operational level wargames like TOAW / WITE. Basically a spearhead is taking the lead , the main body following will take less risky route and less MP(movement point) on the road. Then the next turn the spearhead rest and refit, another unit leap forward and take the lead. 

So long as the scenario designer has allowed sufficient time to do things "properly" in an organized manner that's very good.  Problem with many/at least some scenarios is that there isn't enuff time for that.  It's like the designer expected one to rush forward into battle like a medieval attack.