"Invalid Smoke Target"

When I try to fire a white phosphorous shell at a building, I get the error message "Invalid Smoke Target". How come?

In reality, white phosphorous is a dangerous substance that was often used in an anti personel role. Not only does it burn into human flesh, but the smoke is also harmful to inhale. Firing a WP shell through a window would be an effective way of clearing a building.

2 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

When I try to fire a white phosphorous shell at a building, I get the error message "Invalid Smoke Target". How come?

In reality, white phosphorous is a dangerous substance that was often used in an anti personel role. Not only does it burn into human flesh, but the smoke is also harmful to inhale. Firing a WP shell through a window would be an effective way of clearing a building.

You can't fire WP into a building! Somebody might get hurt!

8 hours ago, MikeyD said:

If that's happened to me before I've (almost) forgotten about it. I think I've seen that... once... maybe. What about the proximity of friendly troops?

No friendly troops nearby - it happens no matter which building I target. Tried it with a Sherman and with a 155mm "Long Tom" (in the final Aachen campaign mission).

It's only when I target buildings I get the error message.

I don't think the WP rounds are intended for offensive use in CM, only as smoke. That's just how its been modeled. So I'm guessing that's why that message pops up.

WP rounds will however cause casualties if they land close to infantry if I'm not mistaken. But I don't think its very effective. HE will do the job better in the confines of CM.   

1 hour ago, Fizou said:

WP rounds will however cause casualties if they land close to infantry if I'm not mistaken. But I don't think its very effective. HE will do the job better in the confines of CM.   

I'm not really sure WP actually does any damage. IIRC the damage from smoke shells are actually from the shells themselves throwing shrapnel.

10 hours ago, Pelican Pal said:
11 hours ago, Fizou said:

I'm not really sure WP actually does any damage. IIRC the damage from smoke shells are actually from the shells themselves throwing shrapnel.

I remember reading in one of the changelogs that the damage from WP had been reduced a little. So it's apparently meant to cause some casualties. I've never seen it actually happen though, but then again I haven't tried much. Most of the smoke rounds I see are not WP.

Edited by Bulletpoint

• 3 years later...