Fire and Rubble

BFCElvis

On 11/1/2019 at 7:26 PM, MikeyD said:

WWII was literally the most catastrophic man-made event in human history. If you include Japan and China in the mix some 80 million people died (out of a world population not much larger than 2.3 billion) in the space of a few short years. The scale of atrocities is unimaginable. By war's end even the 'good guys' were incinerating entire city populations. Looking back on his actions in the Pacific General Curtis Lemay commented "I suppose if I had lost the war, I would have been tried as a war criminal." WWII is a template for nobody for how nations should act.

Thanks for this level-headed comment.

This prompts me to do a bit a bit of "agitprop" for Philip Kerr´s Berlin Noir novels, in case you´re not already aware of them. A brilliant series about a detective in Berlin in the thirties, forties and fifties. Incredibly well written and researched. Sadly, Kerr died last year, so there will be no more stories about Bernie Günther.

1 minute ago, umlaut said:

This prompts me to do a bit a bit of "agitprop" for Philip Kerr´s Berlin Noir novels, in case you´re not already aware of them. A brilliant series about a detective in Berlin in the thirties, forties and fifties. Incredibly well written and researched. Sadly, Kerr died last year, so there will be no more stories about Bernie Günther.

Also Alan Furst's wonderful books about the same era.  I will look into Philip Kerr.  Thanks...

2 hours ago, BeardlessThunderGod said:

The scale of atrocities is unimaginable. By war's end even the 'good guys' were incinerating entire city populations.

That's simply be an example of total war where people are fighting desperately to avoid having their entire cultures/civilizations destroyed (as they perceive the situation).  We can be confident, thanks to tens (hundreds?) of thousands of years of human and animal evolution that it will happens again at some time once the lessons have been lost in history.  Once cannot legislate human behaviour eg: like forbidding people to have sex etc.  We're hard-wired. 

This is the also seen in the current trend of political correctness.  People will say one thing and then in a secret vote show they believe in and want something quite different - astonishing the pollsters and commentators.    

Edited by Erwin

On 11/22/2019 at 4:33 PM, umlaut said:

I have every one of that series. Possibly the best historical fiction I think I ever read. 

53 minutes ago, Jumpete said:

Steve spoke time ago about the development of this module for RT, if I remember well, he told that the work was advanced, even that it could be released at once to R2V. Well, now taht R2V is out, what BF can say about Fire and Rubble? (Some bones please).

Agreed. Italy is done, enough excuses already. :)

Personally I hope they slllllloooooooowwwwww roll any bones. First, enjoy Rome To Victory. Second I would rather not see expectations set high and then delays annoy people. Regardless of how reasonable and understanding the people in this thread are there a enough that are just not. I'll take 200 "please tell us something" posts over on "you missed the dead line that I expected because I am hard of reading and entitled to my entitlements therefore the company must be going under and I'm never buying from this company again" posts.

:D

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Personally I hope they slllllloooooooowwwwww roll any bones. First, enjoy Rome To Victory. Second I would rather not see expectations set high and then delays annoy people. Regardless of how reasonable and understanding the people in this thread are there a enough that are just not. I'll take 200 "please tell us something" posts over on "you missed the dead line that I expected because I am hard of reading and entitled to my entitlements therefore the company must be going under and I'm never buying from this company again" posts.

:D

I am going w Ian's "FIrst, enjoy R2V" idea.  I already decided to do all the R2V scenarios in alphabetical order and nothing else until done.  First battle was easy -- until it wasn't.  I laid smoke, crossed a creek, everything is great, easy win it seemed.  Then the germans did their usual thing, spoiling all my beautiful and super-genius plans.  

1 hour ago, danfrodo said:

I am going w Ian's "FIrst, enjoy R2V" idea.  I already decided to do all the R2V scenarios in alphabetical order and nothing else until done.  First battle was easy -- until it wasn't.  I laid smoke, crossed a creek, everything is great, easy win it seemed.  Then the germans did their usual thing, spoiling all my beautiful and super-genius plans.  

Ah, playing that one right now as the Germans. I playtested it a number of times as the French, as it evolved. Now I see what I was up against. Interested to see what the French AI throws at me. It's a fun one. Well, they all are. As Elvis said a while back, something to the effect of how varied and interesting a group of scenarios it is. The campaigns are good too.