Fire and Rubble

BFCElvis

1 hour ago, umlaut said:

Will the buildings available for Germany maps be the same as the ones in Germany maps in CMFB

Similar models, with new textures and a few new things to work with. Churches and Commercial have some new adds- Central European churches, a domed building, a factory. These are based upon the footprints of existing ones.

1 hour ago, umlaut said:

will the F&R have the "other" category of independent buildings

Yes, adapted to Central European cities. The roofs have been changed on some to better simulate urban rows.

Berlin has it's own set of textures, which would do for most cities. A destroyed texture as well, with the windows punched out- remember talking about that one years ago?

The flavor objects round it out, as well. Some destroyed stuff, and some things to make towns and cities look a bit more previously inhabited.

27 minutes ago, benpark said:

Similar models, with new textures and a few new things to work with. Churches and Commercial have some new adds- Central European churches, a domed building, a factory. These are based upon the footprints of existing ones.

Yes, adapted to Central European cities. The roofs have been changed on some to better simulate urban rows.

Berlin has it's own set of textures, which would do for most cities. A destroyed texture as well, with the windows punched out- remember talking about that one years ago?

The flavor objects round it out, as well. Some destroyed stuff, and some things to make towns and cities look a bit more previously inhabited.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I had hoped that I would be able to use some of FB german buidings in a Denmark map I am working on. But I'll just have to port those textures from FB to a mod set for RT if they arent there. 🙂

Still, I am looking very much forward to seeing all the new buildings and map features in FR.

4 hours ago, ASL Veteran said:

I have two sources on the MP35

Interesting!  Thanks for that.  Learned something new today ;)  Always happy to see mention of the Erma, one of the least seen German WW2 SMGs.  

One of the most difficult things to get out of production numbers is how many were in service at any one time and within what timeframe.  It's pretty easy to conclude greater than zero, but then it gets tricky.  Especially weapons that weren't produced in large numbers, like the Erma.  Obviously not many made, not many still available for service in 1944/45, but when concentrated into a single divisional formation only hundreds would be needed for everybody to have one at one time.  So for Charlemagne they could have been the only SMG in their hands, whereas for another Waffen SS unit exactly zero. 

Another thing is weapon losses on the battlefield.  Just ran across a stat that from June 1, 1944 through March 1, 1945 the Wehrmacht lost 3.5 *million* rifles.  That's nearly 400k per MONTH, with new production being about half that.  Certainly the Germans didn't lose 3.5 million rifle bearing soldiers KIA behind enemy lines during this period, yet that's how many rifles the OKW reported as being lost.  Which reminds us that a lot of weapons are lost for reasons other than unrecoverable casualty situations.  For example, when the surviving parts of Charlemagne were evacuated by sea they might have left their small arms behind and been rearmed with MP40s before going into Berlin.  

Anyway, all this just makes it harder on us to come up with realistic representations of weaponry allocations.  Fortunately this sort of crazy complicated situation isn't present for any other force we portray in Combat Mission. 

Steve

1 hour ago, benpark said:

This is great to hear. Sounds like some of the goodies I was hoping for to use in my project are in the pipeline with F&R.

2 hours ago, waffelmann said:

This waiting is obviously driving me crazy. Now I check my emails every few minutes if nobody posts anything here for a long time, because then I think everyone is already playing ...

I will drop a "very close" and "very very close" before any emails go out. (And these verys don't count).

17 minutes ago, waffelmann said:

This is good to know! Thanks!

On the negativ side is, that now I have to scan the whole forum 24X7 for the words "very" from elvis....in a short frequence...

Don't scan for very, scan for very very. 

Or perhaps very, very? 

What happened on this day?

...Adolf Hitler’s birthday...Soviet artillery hits Berlin’s suburbs...execution of Operation Clausewitz...the Berlin Zoo closes...Hitler orders an evacuation of government departments...the Soviets launch a large-scale offensive south of Stettin...the battle of Bernau takes place as the 2nd Guard Tank Army reaches the town...Hermann Göring demolishes his Carinhall residence...Ivan Konev’s 1st Ukrainian Front races to Zossen...

The Battle Of Berlin: April 20th 1945 - Soviet Artillery Reaches Berlin (berlinexperiences.com)

1 hour ago, DesertFox said:

What happened on this day?

...Adolf Hitler’s birthday...Soviet artillery hits Berlin’s suburbs...execution of Operation Clausewitz...the Berlin Zoo closes...Hitler orders an evacuation of government departments...the Soviets launch a large-scale offensive south of Stettin...the battle of Bernau takes place as the 2nd Guard Tank Army reaches the town...Hermann Göring demolishes his Carinhall residence...Ivan Konev’s 1st Ukrainian Front races to Zossen...

The Battle Of Berlin: April 20th 1945 - Soviet Artillery Reaches Berlin (berlinexperiences.com)

Don't forget the battle of Bautzen in which the Polish 2nd army was mauled, one of the last German victories in the East. 

Edited by Aragorn2002

1 hour ago, HUSKER2142 said:

My question is, how motivated were Volkssturm? How often these units surrendered without a fight or at the slightest loss of personnel. 

The Russians usually didn't leave them much choice than to fight. Many members of the Volkssturm were killed after capture or surrender. At many places the Volkssturm fought remarkably well, but against impossible odds. Imagine going to war with an old rifle  and five bullets...

Edited by Aragorn2002

21 minutes ago, AttorneyAtWar said:

Those guys were usually forced at gun point to fight anyway, so you can either decide to get killed fighting the Russians or by some fanatic that decides to hang "traitors".

I don't think most of them needed much persuasion to fight. They knew what was awaiting them. But yeah, between the devil and the deep blue sea.