[AI] How do I ensure an explosion will happen at an exact spot?

puje

I am currently working hard on a campaign for the Heaven and Earth mod.

Now, I won't spoil anything, but in a mission a need the red AI to cause an explosion to remove some (blue) barbed wire.

A preplanned 130mm artillery strike on the wire fence seems to work best, but in some playthroughs, the AI switches the shells to airburst in stead of impact explosion, and airburst does not damage the wire. FUSTRATING! What I'm looking for is a surefire way for the AI to break down the wire, unless of course the player manages to stop them fair and square. I don't mind if a bit of "designer trickery" is involved, but I need that wire to come down.

Does anyone have an idea for this, because I'm tearing my hair out here....

Edited by puje

I'm building a scenario with a loooong length of barbed wire, myself. I'm entirely reliant on tanks over-running the wire and opening gaps. One thing I haven't tried, having the AI advance engineers/sappers to the wire and wait to see if they'll take any action. I've seen AI engineers blow holes in walls and such on the own. I should test that out.

Maybe a few artilllery batteries (perhaps with each having only a few rounds)?

Surely not every battery would try to destroy the point target with airbursts and, if you have an Ied placed under the wire, you only need a single ground strike to ensure the wire is breached.

Edited by 37mm

9 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I'm building a scenario with a loooong length of barbed wire, myself. I'm entirely reliant on tanks over-running the wire and opening gaps. One thing I haven't tried, having the AI advance engineers/sappers to the wire and wait to see if they'll take any action. I've seen AI engineers blow holes in walls and such on the own. I should test that out.

Engineers unfortunately seem too dumb to use the blast if they can't get a clear view of the extent of the wire. 

In my experience they will blast a 10x10m wire square just fine, but once it gets larger and they can't see through to the other side, they just try to find a way point and loop endlessly. 

Armor will probably be the solution, even if I had hoped the map would be infantry only. 

Edited by puje

On 10/20/2019 at 3:02 PM, puje said:

Does anyone have an idea for this, because I'm tearing my hair out here....

Not sure how this will feel but how about an IED? You can place it during scenario setup and you can make it so that neither side can move the wire or the IED then you can ensure that they can breach - as long as the trigger man is alive. I think you can also choose a version of the IED that requires LOS so the player would have to move a trigger man up t use it.

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Not sure how this will feel but how about an IED? You can place it during scenario setup and you can make it so that neither side can move the wire or the IED then you can ensure that they can breach - as long as the trigger man is alive. I think you can also choose a version of the IED that requires LOS so the player would have to move a trigger man up t use it.

How do you figure this would work? I don't want the player to blow their own wire open if that's what you're saying. 

Place the enemy wire over the friendly IDE and don't allow either side to reposition it. Have the trigger man deploy with the engineers. They can only trigger once they have LOS to the spot. The player can then use the IDE to breach the wire.

It's pretty hacky really but I thought it might work.