fast move

Just to clarify -a ssume you are talking about player orders not AI Plans and asscoited 'orders'?

There is no 'dash' player command for units.

Only 'fast'. In AI Plans using 'dash' as a behaviour = same effect if the player orders troops to 'fast' as others have described.

I use Fast movement a lot. The TacAI does as well, during Assault commands - the moving element moves Fast whilst the other element is in overwatch.

The order prioritises movement above all - you're the least likely to stop and open fire on available targets, so you have the most control over your actions.

Some theoretical examples:

1) I'm developing a firefight. One squad in the platoon has made contact, and is exchanging fire with the enemy.  I decide that I need to send a fireteam to a specific piece of cover to add to the outgoing volume of fire, and I don't want them engaging from any other location. Fast move is the best way to do that, quickly and with as much certainty as possible.

2) The lead squad of a platoon comes under fire. The rest of the platoon is in good position to return fire, but the lead squad is cowering out of C2, so can't share spotting contacts, meaning that the enemy has not been spotted by the rest of the platoon. My HQ element will Fast move between platoon elements to pick up the contacts and Fast move back to share them to the other squads.

3) Incoming mortar rounds. Priority number one is being anywhere but here, so you don't want to start engaging in a firefight.

Fast moving tires them out, obviously, which will degrade their movement (Fast->Quick->Move->Slow). It's also a large commitment - if your order was unsafe (e.g., the fireteam element you've moved up to support is flanked by an enemy MG), then you've probably just lost that element. You should therefore use it in situations where you're confident about the move, and where you are not expecting to cover large distances or make multiple Fast moves in the future.

37 minutes ago, markshot said:

I make them run from time to time.  I don't want them to get too complacent and walk around saying "Take a look at that!".  They should always feel death lies around the next corner.  For if they knew what I know, it does.  So, "Run, Ladies, Run!".

I force them to run back and forth under fire, reciting health statistics about the dangers of a sedentary lifestyle. If there are any survivors, I take away their cigarettes.

WWII infantry aren't carrying 40 pounds of body armor and running through extreme desert heat. So there's less of a penalty for running your men here and there. CMSF2 infantry on a hot day are likely to quickly tire to the point of exhaustion. Then they won't have the mojo to do what needs to be done when the firing starts.

as all said above. I found the TacAI reacting and shooting too slow on moving targets, particularly beyond normal rifle ranges. This makes short distance fast/dashing quite a usefull tactic most the time. The AIP generally is not so fortunate as bounds are usually longer (largely depends on mission designer settings), but again the TacAI reacts too slow to make most of  a situation when targets are moving and not in cover (or prone) yet.

Best to recon the path before the sprint unless you know the enemy is falling back in disarray.  The OPFOR AI is brutal if it is set up already.  I have lost 2/3s like that.  Also, the worst is when they get pinned midway and continue to bleed for another 4-5 more minutes.  (Unlike a human, the AI not smart enough to let a small force pass and wait for the main body before opening up.)

As mentioned elsewhere - although fatigue does not have a direct impact on accuracy (or similar), fatiguing your soldiers means that you won't be able to Quick or Fast move when you really need to, when mortar rounds are incoming or when you need to rush up a support weapon to a forward position. Fatigue therefore absolutely degrades your ability to fight, just indirectly.