Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBNv4 Pop Smoke?

These guys were given a pop smoke order last turn (WEGO).  Nothing happened during the turn (I mean smoke wise).  What am I missing?  Do I misunderstand the mechanics?

Thanks.

PS:  Currently working through the various tutorials.

2019-10-07 11-51-43.jpg

Edited by markshot

8 hours ago, markshot said:

Is there are limit on smoke?  I see they have 20 grenades, but nothing is mentioned for smoke.  One shot and then the smoke button goes dead?  

I think all the US infantry squads of a US infantry battalion are able Pop Smoke once.  If you make an Assault Team split, as the first split (team A), they will have the smoke.  Also Platoon HQs can Pop Smoke

Infantry Pop Smoke Drill:

1. Check wind direction & strength1.

2. Position throwing team so the 20 meter thrown grenade lands where needed.

3. On the turn of the throw don't move the unit popping the smoke (Team “A”).
4. Give team “A” a Face command in the direction you want the smoke thrown.
5. With team “A” still selected, choose the Pop Smoke command.
6. Next turn, Fast the moving team across linear danger area (If Quick they may stop to shoot).

Notes: Smoke (not HE) hand grenades are automatically thrown 20 meters by the AI (three action spots). 1) Wind strength not more than medium.

General Vehicle info: The range of WWII Pop Smoke, for both vehicles & infantry is 20m.  Soviet WWII vehicles & infantry do not have Smoke.  The game UI advises Modern Russian & Ukrainian vehicles have a Pop Smoke range of 20m however the actual range varies by Modern Russian/Ukrainian vehicles from 48m to about 135m.    

Edited by MOS:96B2P

6 hours ago, lsailer said:

So, in this example from the image, what if team A is at the far left end of the line, and so needs to move to within 20m of the ordered smoke destination?  Would they move closer so they can throw?  Or is the face command always from team A?  

In general I almost always split my squads into teams.  For the Pop Smoke drill A Team (Administrative command Assault split) is split from the squad, moved 20 meters from the location smoke is needed, A Team gets the Face Command and the Pop Smoke command.  After the smoke is formed (about a minute to form) teams cross the danger area (typically a street).  Most Platoon HQs can also Pop Smoke.        

Edited by MOS:96B2P

One needs to be careful with pop smoke because it can go wrong. The smoke grenade is always thrown by the leader of the squad/team. If he faces in another direction when the face/pop smoke command is given, there is a risk that he won't be facing in the right direction when the pop smoke command kicks in and he will toss it in the wrong direction. This is more likely to happen if under fire. In that case pop smoke can be cancelled completely as well.