Improvements in 4.0 for CMFI

Hello all.  I used to play Combat Mission back in the day and build my own scenarios but stopped playing for a long time (10+ years!).

Recently I got back into Combat Mission and started playing CMFI.  I have played maybe 6 or so games since the patch was applied.

I noticed that the observer for off-board artillery actually adjusted shots!  I had an 81mm mortar that was shooting at a Sherman tank and the observer actually moved the fire when the tank switched positions.  I hadn't noticed this behavior previously and when my shots were falling away from the target they never seemed to get any closer or adjust.

In reading through some of the older posts I saw that people said that they rarely saw AA fire as being effective.  I started playing against my usual opponent with "rarity off" and now I'm buying a lot of the AA halftracks in our quick battle scenarios and I had 2 on a small map and I actually shot down and allied strafing attack aircraft!  It was the 37mm gun - the 20mm gun (quad) put up a lot more noise but the 37mm was the one who received the "plane destroyed" note.  One airplane shot down isn't a large sample size I realize but it was heartening to see that happen.

13 hours ago, Carl Puppchen said:

I noticed that the observer for off-board artillery actually adjusted shots!  I had an 81mm mortar that was shooting at a Sherman tank and the observer actually moved the fire when the tank switched positions.  I hadn't noticed this behavior previously and when my shots were falling away from the target they never seemed to get any closer or adjust.

Sweet. Did you man get the tank?

The latest update did not change that - the game has always done that. If your FO has poor visibility around the target area and a spotting round lands where they don't see it then your mission has a chance of never getting on track. The game probably doesn't handle that perfectly because you can get an FFE call in the wrong place instead of cancelling the mission.

• 2 weeks later...