Flammpanzer 38 range too short

In the game, the Flammpanzer 38 has a range of 48 metres. However, it seems it should be 60 metres:

When firing ignited oil, which was ignited by a blank cartridge (known as ‘Zuendpatrone’), the range increased to 60 meters.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2-nazi_germany-flammpanzer-38t/

Citing: Osprey Publishing, New Vanguard #15: Flammpanzer German Flamethrowers 1941-45

4 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

In the game, the Flammpanzer 38 has a range of 48 metres. However, it seems it should be 60 metres:

When firing ignited oil, which was ignited by a blank cartridge (known as ‘Zuendpatrone’), the range increased to 60 meters.

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2-nazi_germany-flammpanzer-38t/

Citing: Osprey Publishing, New Vanguard #15: Flammpanzer German Flamethrowers 1941-45

interesting. Would be good to know about official regulations operating that vehicle and its FT though."Firing unlit flame oil, a maximum range of 50 meters could be reached." indicates there were two procedures getting the nasty stuff into target. So would be interesting to know which of the the two was the more common or advantageous one. Not sure if it makes any differences in the game though. At that ranges the Flamm 38 would be vulnerable from both Inf-AT (Zooks) and other AT alike. From my experiences with FT in the game, I could ussually squeeze some few more meters by area firing, maybe reaching the 60m then as well. Unlike portable FT the 38 should have enough fuel on board to bits of waste on area firing.

5 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Didn't you two already take part in a relatively lengthy discussion on this?  Not sure what the final conclusion was.

we did yes. Personally I´ve no concerns if FT have few meters more range or not. I´m usually fine with basic applications and usual combat employment and think this is what BFC as well takes as a base for max (and normal) combat ranges. Yet it always remains interesting what the official doctrines for weapon systems tell if one can find any that info.

7 hours ago, Thewood1 said:

Didn't you two already take part in a relatively lengthy discussion on this?  Not sure what the final conclusion was.

Nope, that was about the flame haltrack. This one is about the modified Hetzer :)

In the case of the halftrack, sources said the in-game range was correct, but it seemed strange to me that the range should be shorter than other German vehicles using the same flame projector.

In the case of the Flammpanzer 38, the sources seem to say the range should be longer than it currently is in the game. I only discovered now that this vehicle also has too short range. Didn't test it when posting about the haltrack earlier.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Just did a quick test

Flammpanzer 38 area targeting 44m ahead* with a foxhole of allied personel at 55–60m away - and splash effect causes suppression & casualties.

*Area Firing seems dependent on how it is set with regards to action squares - so depending on range can appear to be able to target 50m ahead but vehicle simply won't fire.

Flammpanzer-38-test1.jpg

Flammpanzer-38-test2.jpg

Edited by Wicky

1 hour ago, Wicky said:

Just did a quick test

Flammpanzer 38 area targeting 44m ahead* with a foxhole of allied personel at 55–60m away - and splash effect causes suppression & casualties.

*Area Firing seems dependent on how it is set with regards to action squares - so depending on range can appear to be able to target 50m ahead but vehicle simply won't fire.

Flammpanzer-38-test1.jpg

Flammpanzer-38-test2.jpg

thanks, that´s what I meant. Also considering the sweeping behavior of target area firing usually hitting 3 (or more) adjacent AS, as well as some in front and beyond. I also like using it for machine gun area firing sort of "cheat". I.e german machine guns firing from kneel stance always overshoot the enemy when direct targeting, but when putting area fire about 40-50m in front of an enemy I get 3-4 times more bullets into target and kills accordingly. Very effective at ranges beyond 3-400m and works the same for tripod HMG at even longer ranges. But that´s another story (crappy modelling of german MG´s generally).

12 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Nope, that was about the flame haltrack. This one is about the modified Hetzer :)

In the case of the halftrack, sources said the in-game range was correct, but it seemed strange to me that the range should be shorter than other German vehicles using the same flame projector.

In the case of the Flammpanzer 38, the sources seem to say the range should be longer than it currently is in the game. I only discovered now that this vehicle also has too short range. Didn't test it when posting about the haltrack earlier.

Yeah, that's how it started, but ended uo talking about all the German FTs, including the Flammpanzer 38, at least I thought.  Just thinking it might have been easier to at least reference that thread.

18 hours ago, Wicky said:

Just did a quick test

Flammpanzer-38-test1.jpg

Flammpanzer-38-test2.jpg

Thanks. I had not considered that the aim point would be in the middle of the beaten zone. I assumed it would be at the point of furthest reach.

Testing with Flame Shermans, I find I can target out to 66m, and the furthest splash will go to about 78m.