Adaptive vsync with half refresh rate not working with latest nVidia drivers?

WallysWorld

Just got a new computer (i9-9900k with a RTX 2070 Super) and I find that the adaptive vsync with half refresh trick still does the best job with getting smooth frame rates, but with the latest nVidia driver (436.30), setting Vertical Sync to 1/2 Refresh Rate and Vertical Sync Tear Control to Adaptive doesn't cut the frame rates in half to a smooth 30 fps.

Is this true for others that use this setting with the latest nVidia drivers? I read a few posts where others indicated the same thing.

I ended up having to use the Frame Rate Limiter set to 30.5 to get the smoothness.

For those who are curious, my new computer plays CMx2 better by allowing me to increase the 3D Texture Quality to Excellent on most scenarios using the adaptive vsync trick. My old i7-920 at 4 Ghz with a GTX 970 only allowed me to use Balanced or Improved on most scenarios. So the increase in performance is good, but not breathtaking with the new computer.

Just a reminder that such powerful v-sync settings will trick CM into thinking your system is struggling & will therefore reduce draw distances as a result.

There's another school of thought that, instead, thinks the best way to get smooth gameplay from CM is to have AA & v-sync off (or on fast).

Reshade can then be used to add a much more efficient post-processing AA if desired.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated!

I realize that the adaptive vsync trick does reduce the draw distances, but on my old computer, that was the trade off for the older hardware.

I tried the AA off and vsync off idea and found that the frame rates will go from under 24 fps up to the top 60 fps with those settings off. Since I have a non-Gsync or Free Sync monitor (60 Hz 1080p monitor), the stuttering was pretty heavy. Setting the frame rate limiter to 30.5 in nVidia Inspector seems to be the best option for me at least until or if the adaptive vsync setting is ever fixed in the newest nVidia drivers.

1 hour ago, WallysWorld said:

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated!

I realize that the adaptive vsync trick does reduce the draw distances, but on my old computer, that was the trade off for the older hardware.

I tried the AA off and vsync off idea and found that the frame rates will go from under 24 fps up to the top 60 fps with those settings off. Since I have a non-Gsync or Free Sync monitor (60 Hz 1080p monitor), the stuttering was pretty heavy.

It's interesting you say that because, although I've been using the @DeutschRitter philosophy since January, last month I started playing around with Nvidia inspector to try & increase my fps further by manipulating various obscure settings which aren't on the standard Nvidia control panel.

I only have a mediocre PC (i5-2400) but I did manage to get another 5-10 fps out of CM from a combination of settings.

However I also got stuttering, which I'd not seen since January or my "dark days" of using the CMSF2 demo (I had a LOT of fps issues, trust me).

Now I've kept these new Nvidia settings anyway because I'm not playing CM much & the extra 'spare' fps helps me out for video creation yet clearly there is an Nvidia combination out there which will cut down on the stuttering.

I'm working on the Heaven & Earth modpack for now... but once that is boxed off I do intend to try & figure out what is going on with the fps, the "draw calls", the lod's & the stuttering (I think the stuttering is due to LOD switching).

• 1 month later...